C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Renewal Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:36 PM
skipdale
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Renewal Experience

I wonder if others have experienced the same poor service from XM.

I Received a letter that looked like it came from a collections agency, but was from XM, telling me my renewal bill for the year (2 radios) was $501. When I called they said it was a mistake, and that it should have been $251.28. This seemed calculated to me, to try and scare me with a "dunning letter" and at the same time ask for too much.

Additionally, I was unable to conduct business via the website, receiving a repeated notice that my account was being updated and asking me to return in 10 minutes. This went on for over an hour until I gave up and called them.

I found it annoying that when I tried to get on the website, it asked for my XM radio ID, but the letter inviting me to the site contained only my account number. Either they should accept an account number on the site, or they should have included the ID in the letter they sent.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 PM
David Garren
Burning Brakes

If you search you will find alot of threads that people have written about XM **** poor service, me included. That is why I've switched all 3 of my GM cars to Sirruis.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:36 PM
E Stumpff
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David Garren
If you search you will find alot of threads that people have written about XM **** poor service, me included. That is why I've switched all 3 of my GM cars to Sirruis.
Same here. Couldn't take XM's poor service (and that's being kind) any longer and switched two XM cars over to Sirius using the convertor box from Cruchfield.

ED
Old 02-04-2007, 01:36 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I had no trouble getting the $77 year rate. I also find that XM has fewer drop outs if traveling away from big cities. I believe XM has more repeaters. Not sure what "service" folks are taliking about. Once I activated my account I had no need to call them again.

And as far as programing is concerned how would anyone actually measure that? It's a subjective matter isn't it???

Tom

Last edited by AFVETTE; 02-04-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:55 PM
07c6vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the XM automatically added to your car or it's something that you have to activate first? I did try to press the XM radio but there was no signal. I am not sure if Hawaii takes the signal here. I just don't want a billing later on for something I wasn't aware or never used that is on my car. Can you guys help me out. Where is the account # located in the vehicle or the website to check on it?
Also, I remebered a $199 taken out from the price is that the XM or On star or they are the same? Appreciate the info. Mahalo
Old 02-04-2007, 02:09 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I had no trouble getting the $77 year rate. I also find that XM has fewer drop outs if traveling away from big cities. I believe XM has more repeaters.
Tom

I agree with that much, however their customer relations and accounting depts. are totally screwd up as seen by the constant threads that belly-ache about them.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:08 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ben dover
I agree with that much, however their customer relations and accounting depts. are totally screwd up as seen by the constant threads that belly-ache about them.
I keep reading them but I never see any details, I wish someone would share the complete story. When someone complains of "poor customer service" I'm all ears. But so far all I've read are complaints about not being able to get the $77 rate consistantly, or the subjective quality of the play lists. I used my American Express and if they should EVER attempt to charge for service I don't get I'll call AMEX and let them deal with it.

Trust me companies don't like dealing with AMEX, it's like dealing with the mob

Oh well, as consumers we all have something to complain about. Like CBS wanting to charge Charter for their HD signal (which anyone can get for free with an OTA) so us poor folks with Charter Cable won't get the SB in HD at least in the St Louis market. So I dug out a cheap OTA I had in the basement, plugged it in, hit scan channels and BINGO I'll be watching the SB in HD.

So there's always something to bitch about. Find a solution and move on.

Tom
Old 02-04-2007, 03:17 PM
tombachmann
Instructor

Did you get the $77 rate on 1st time service or renewel. My 1st year is about to expire and they are quoting me $155.40 for another year.
Sounds really stiff. Is there a better renew rate or promotion code that can be used?

Thanks

I had no trouble getting the $77 year rate. I also find that XM has fewer drop outs if traveling away from big cities. I believe XM has more repeaters. Not sure what "service" folks are taliking about. Once I activated my account I had no need to call them again.

And as far as programing is concerned how would anyone actually measure that? It's a subjective matter isn't it???

Tom
Old 02-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ben dover

It seems everyone's customer relations is getting worse, including Sirius.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:29 PM
boxcar18
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I renewed last week for a second year for $77.00. They were not going top give me the extra year,so I told them I wanted to cancel. They connected me to the cancellation department and they told me that they could renew again for $77.00.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:32 PM
tombachmann
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. I will try the same.

Originally Posted by boxcar18
I renewed last week for a second year for $77.00. They were not going top give me the extra year,so I told them I wanted to cancel. They connected me to the cancellation department and they told me that they could renew again for $77.00.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:43 PM
AeroDog
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Carolina raised but in Loveland CO for tha duration
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Garren
I heard a radio show recently devoted to similar, but worse, complaints from subscribers to Sirius. Seems it's quite difficult to "unsubscribe" to the service.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:54 PM
pit-pony
Burning Brakes

Both seem to be aggressive bozo companies. Best to deal with neither of them. Anyone who won't let you cancel is both desperate and unethical.

I'll just burn MP3 discs.

..jack
Old 02-04-2007, 03:56 PM
tombachmann
Instructor

I just did as Boxcar suggested. Great Experience. Had a guy named Josh take care of me. I just told him I wanted to make sure that they were not automatically charging me for another year as I did not want the service. He asked me why. I said with all the radio stations that are free, a 6 CD changer, and an I pod I hook up to my Radio, that I did not need to pay $150 to listen to XM. He asked if I liked XM radio, and if he could get me another year at 1/2 price would I stay. I said that I would and he took care of it. I was on the phone for 5 minutes and it was done. I was very satisfied.

Originally Posted by boxcar18
Old 02-04-2007, 04:51 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Sirius on all four cars and no problems.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:28 PM
6 speed Sid
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had to call 3 times before I got someone I could understand, but the third try was successful, got a reduced rate.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:40 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

I had the opposite experience with XM. I had XM in my C5 and also had my son's Colorado on the acct. When I bought the C6 I called them to activate service on it. They gave me the three free months and when I mentioned that I wanted my son's put on hold since he's in Iraq and not using the Colorado. The rep said they would just give me free service on his until he came back. Couldn't ask for more!

I also agree with the drop out on Sirrius. My wife's Mercedes came with Sirrius and it drops out 10 times more than XM, at least here in AZ.

Get notified of new replies

To XM Renewal Experience

Old 02-04-2007, 05:43 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I keep reading them but I never see any details, I wish someone would share the complete story.
Tom
Well, you obviously haven't read many threads on this subject. Many of us have detailed our experiences (I did several times last summer) that included unauthorized charges to credit card; refusal to stop service when subscription expired and instead sent out collection letters, etc.

Search the archives, you'll find much more, such as quoting one rate, but charging a higher one.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:45 AM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My renewal notice letter simply stated my subscription would end shortly, called and calmly stated I wouldn't renew for anything more than $77, was told okay and bill would be mailed.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:02 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2vettes
Well, you obviously haven't read many threads on this subject. Many of us have detailed our experiences (I did several times last summer) that included unauthorized charges to credit card; refusal to stop service when subscription expired and instead sent out collection letters, etc.

Search the archives, you'll find much more, such as quoting one rate, but charging a higher one.
All I can say is my experience has been positive. I've experienced poor customer service from APPLE, which many folks rave about. So its probably fair to say, XM customer service is spotty at best.

Tom

Quick Reply: XM Renewal Experience