C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do Mustang forums say about the Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by legalgus
I'd take one just like Steve McQueen drove. Looked good, sounded great. I appreciate 'em all and give Ford credit for not dropping the Mustang like GM did with the Camaro and Firebird.
Although the 390 was too heavy in the Mustang for any kind of decent handling. Firebirds left them for dead on any road course--as well as drag strip. The LS1 F-bodies were never marketed properly. They were so far above the Mustang GT in all aspects, yet the Ford outsold them by a mile. Credit to Ford for the well done retro styling on the new Mustang. In comparison, the new Camaro looks like some robocop reject--as ugly as the Caddies. I wouldn't even consider it if I wanted another pony car. The Challenger and Mustang are far better looking cars. That being said, the Corvette is on another plane. Cayman S/Boxster S, M3, M Coupe are its peers, not a Mustang. Even the rip off priced GT-500--which I like, but not for $68000!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1776Crusader
As stated both cars have their fans. Different classes. I have an 04 Cobra which is my hp/mod car. My 07 vette is the refined machine and is a different level of car. Beyond just hp. Both are unique and are a blast to drive.
I like your avatar. I still have my "Vietnam Vets, Not Fonda Kerry" bumper sticker on my Jeep.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Corps Vet
Today I own a 05 Z51 & it's one kick *** machine. But back in the day I was a 60's guy & owned one of the original 68 cobra jet mustangs, 4 speed, 4:30 gears, ram air (would be worth a few bucks today). It had some mods (cam, heads, headers, ignition work, slicks when I'd run it) I'd race all takers with that machine, most I won even against BB vettes & hot mopars who are still shaking their heads, those I didn't win were always real close. Still have a place in my heart for the stangs.

Bottom line is the Vette was always & is still the standard of measure. Everyone wants to say I beat a Vette.

The Shelby 500's are hot, but they come looking for Vette's for a reason.

Corvette forums, Stang forums, Mopar forums it's all cool. Bottom line is I'm a car guy & am really diggin all the cool machines coming out of Detroit. These are good times, enjoy them.
The 428 Cobra Jet--along with the 440 Super Commando in the Cuda, was the best engine of the muscle car era, for my 2C. I raced both with my Formula 400, and it was always interesting. I won maybe 40% of the time, but never felt bad about losing to bigger cubic inch engines. On the road course, I never lost to any MOPAR, and only once to a Boss 302. Those were the days! Again, hats off to Ford for the well done retro style of the new Mustangs, and Dodge for doing the same with the upcoming Challenger. Compared to them, the new Camaro is a brick outhouse in design.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:41 PM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by teazr1
Any real car person, regardless of which forum they are on, will respect and appreciate every car for it's own unique characteristics.

Right on the money!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:35 PM
USMC0341
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonaldK
He sends me many quotes from the Mustang forum and I can tell you that the Ford followers are VERY upset that the new Shelby GT500 is nearly identical in performance to the BASE Corvette. The GT500 weighs nearly 3900lbs and its 500HP is negated quickly.
That's me!!! I have been a ford owner all my life, with about 10 mustang owned. My last one was a 04 svt cobra. Ford dropped the ball with the shelby. The damn thing is longer and heavier than a crown vic. And for 50K plus my wife told me " why don't you just buy a Corvette". That's why I'm here now and I'm pretty happy with my first GM car
Old 01-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Flecker
Instructor

This Thread has gone WAY TOO LONG!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Theels12588
Racer

Originally Posted by Zig
even though i also own a mustang (vert). i really don't know what they say over on the 'stang boards.

once i got the c6 i've been stuck here.

imo, the vette and the mustang are really the only two true american sports cars out there.
Ford GT??
Old 01-31-2007, 07:50 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flecker
This Thread has gone WAY TOO LONG!!!

The only Ford I would ever look at was a Shelby Corba or a 65' 350GTR. Other than that, I have no desire for the brand. Of course, the only GM I have owned in the last 10 years has been the C6.

In any case, the two cars are not in the same class using any measurement, so no one with any IQ rose to that TROLL bait. To get any real juicy TROLL action going, slam the Mustang versus a Camaro-oooops there is no more Camaro so the Mustang was the better pony car
Old 01-31-2007, 08:50 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't give a damn what any ford owner says

i did own a 66, it was a nice car, but it was no comparison to a 66 vette, and neither is the present one, different animals
Old 02-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

I frequent the Mustang forums since I purchased a 2006 Mustang GT as my "daily driver" last July...I love my American Muscle Cars!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiterock1
The 428 Cobra Jet--along with the 440 Super Commando in the Cuda, was the best engine of the muscle car era, for my 2C. I raced both with my Formula 400, and it was always interesting. I won maybe 40% of the time, but never felt bad about losing to bigger cubic inch engines. On the road course, I never lost to any MOPAR, and only once to a Boss 302. Those were the days! Again, hats off to Ford for the well done retro style of the new Mustangs, and Dodge for doing the same with the upcoming Challenger. Compared to them, the new Camaro is a brick outhouse in design.
I just stumbled across pictures of my '69 CJ Mach I Mustang that I had during college and into my first career. I loved the sheer torque and hp of that engine and a C6 transmission that was indestructable. It was Black Jade (metallic dark green) with gold Mach I stripes down the side and loaded with options including a tilt away steering wheel. I sold it to a high school kid's father in Santa Barbara for $4500 when I purchased a nearly new '81 Corvette. I understand that the big block Mustangs ring in around $45,000 today.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:12 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by teazr1
Any real car person, regardless of which forum they are on, will respect and appreciate every car for it's own unique characteristics.

same as for bikes.
same as for women...
You're not going to appreciate a blonde or redhead, just because you married a brunette?

Nothing wrong with Mustangs, or Vipers, they're just different animals, built with different strengths and weaknesses. I love em all, but glad I can afford a Vette

Quick Reply: What do Mustang forums say about the Vette?