C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette Z51 VS Porsche 911 or 911s...who win?

Old 01-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Wow!! Again and again... and again... Z51 vs. non Z-51. Getting old!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:18 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vidal1313
Yup, folks can't just respond to CF member’s legitimate questions w/o injecting their opinions etc. It would be nice if the "facts" were offered w/o prejudice.

Tom
Old 01-15-2007, 12:27 PM
07 Lemans Z51 Coupe
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than one magazine article which put the 997S at a 0-60 of 3.9-- almost every other report shows the Vette Z51 (.01 second faster than non Z51) and the Porsche virtually matched. I drove both of these when I was buying my car, fully intending to purchase the 997S. I may still buy a 997GT3 in a few years when the prices drop.

The real difference will come from how the driver relates to the vehicle.
There is a large difference in feel between a front engined high torque vehicle, and a rear engined, lower torque vehicle. The Porsche, with its weight over the rear wheels "hooks up" easier on a launch than the Vette. And oddly, despite the fact that they are almost exactly the same length, the Porshce (a bit narrower) FEELS smaller, hence more responsive.

In the real world there is so little difference in absolute available performance that it comes down to the driver, and the driver's comfort with the vehicle.

Which is why, for $40,000 less money, I bought the Z51 MZ6 Vette with the 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, loaded with NAV, HUD, etc.

Now, if your 997S friends want to go up against something for the same price, I suggest they try on the equivalently priced Z06........
Old 01-15-2007, 12:33 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vidal1313
I know...even when the question is "is a C6 with Z-51 faster than a 911s?", the spazoids on this forum turn it into C6 w/o Z-51 vs. C6 with Z-51.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:02 PM
rayainsw
Racer

Default 2205 magazine test of C6 vs 911

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

2005 versions, but my sense is that equipped with their respective manual transmissions, the results would be quite similar today with 2007 versions . . .

But I do not keep up with every incremental improvement on the Porsche front.

- Ray
Happy with a non-Z51 A6 version of the C6. . .
Old 01-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Randall G.
Racer

Originally Posted by Train66
Having owned two Porsches, and a Z51 Corvette, with a good driver, I believe the Corvette wins the track performance tests, most of the time.

The big advantage the Corvette has over any Porsche is the cost of maintenance over the life of the cars. Porsches are unbelieveably expensive to own and maintain.
I even do a lot of my own basic maintenance ---(brakes/suspension/exhaust/ clutch-gearbox-FI adjustments/engine basic items-belts,valve adjustments/etc.) and Porsche parts are just breathtaking as far as cost. If you have to take your car to the dealer or an independent shop for this basic maintenance, be prepared to absorb huge $$$ expenses to maintain your Porsche.

God help you if you have to replace any of the major systems like ABS, exhaust systems, fuel management pieces, even brakes. The expense is just absolutely stunning. Deep pockets required for Porsche ownership!

Porsches are great cars with the quality of materials used, the fit/finish(the paint jobs on the 911 based cars may be the best in the world), the overall driver feel (weight+precision of the steering, powerful braking, perfectly matched to the engine gearbox, overall engine responsiveness) is just a little bit better than the Corvette.

But the Corvette is hands - down the much better car to own, if you live on a budget
Amen.

Loved my Porsches. But, once out of warranty....look out!
Old 01-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Marina Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are some real world tests you can quote:

The December 2004 issue of Car and Driver tested a Z51 equipped C6 against a 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera (not the S). Results:

0-60 mph
Porsche 911 - 4.3 seconds
Corvette C6, Z51 - 4.1 seconds

0-100 mph
Porsche - 10.5
Corvette - 9.6

0-150 mph
Porsche - 28.5
Corvette - 25.0

quarter-mile
Porsche - 12.8 @ 109
Corvette - 12.6 @ 114

Motor Trend in their January 2005 issue compared a 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S with a 2005 Corvette Z51. Here are the results:

0-60 mph
Porsche Carrera S - 4.2
Corvette C6, Z51 - 4.4

0-100 mph
Porsche - 10.7
Corvette - 10.1

quarter-mile
Porsche - 12.6 @ 111.1
Corvette - 12.6 @ 113.2

Motor Trend also did a track analysis at Willow Springs Intl. Motor Sports Park.

Porsche 911 Carrera S best lap - 100.1 seconds
Corvette C6, Z51 best lap - 99.49 seconds

Road and Track in their March 2005 issue did a nine car comparison to determine the best all-around sports car for 2005. The C6 Corvette with Z51 option came away with the title. Here are some of the results:

0-60 mph
2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S - 3.9 seconds
2005 Corvette C6, Z51 - 4.5 seconds

0-100 mph
Porsche Carrera S - 9.6 seconds
Corvette C6, Z51 - 9.8 seconds

quarter-mile
Porsche Carrera S - 12.3 @ 114.8
Corvette C6, Z51 - 12.8 @ 114.5

Concerning the Carrera S's acceleration numbers Road and Track had this to say: "These numbers were so extraordinary that we took the car to MD Automotive in Westminster, California, to measure the Carrera S's output on the dynamometer." They said the car came away clean. Road and Track previously tested a Carrera S that did 4.4 for 0-60 and 12.8 for the quarter-mile. Their explanation is as follows: "The only explanation for the difference in acceleration times is that this particular engine had a proper break-in period (it had 5400 miles on the odometer as opposed to the 1200 miles on our previous test car.)" They did not say how many miles were on the Corvette. I personally feel something was done with the Porsche to give it an advantage. Those numbers are too far out-of-line with any other magazine tests. Could it have been special tuning with sticky tires? Ringers have been given to magazine testers in the past.

Road and Track also tested the cars on Buttonwillows West Loop. Here are lap times for the top three cars:

1. 66.32 seconds - Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
2. 66.60 seconds - Dodge Viper SRT-10
3. 66.71 seconds - Porsche Carrera S Coupe

Hope this helps settle the argument.

Last edited by Marina Blue; 01-15-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:06 PM
RedC6
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ricatthebeach
Now really, who's feelings appear hurt? Just because you didn't know about the Z51 package at the time you purchased your Vette and are kicking yourself because you didn't get this great valued performance option, you are pissed... at me? Do think so; look at yourself, maybe.
Give me a break, some Z51 sway bars get's me 90% to where a Z51 car is being that I have the performance axle. Besides, I'll put my driving ability up against your smug feeling of having the Z51 anyday... do you seriously think your pushing your "superior" Z51 to its limits? If you are, you are with the select few on this board... It's 90% driver, 10% car on most tracks, in case you didn't know.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:09 PM
mbonness
Pro

I don't know which one is faster but they sure look good together...

Old 01-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Jacksonbart
Racer

The Z51 is quicker by a sliver over the base C6 until you apply the Z51 stickers, then its all the base C6. Those fake badges change aero dynamics and weight.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:50 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

Location: Objects in your mirror are losing , Long Island, NY
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ricatthebeach
Actually it does as the Z51 option includes lower gears in 1st thru 3rd. I'm just guessing...you didn't get the Z-51 option?
Here we go again.. The Z-51 comes with 3.42's, What does The base c6 come with?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC6
Give me a break, some Z51 sway bars get's me 90% to where a Z51 car is being that I have the performance axle. Besides, I'll put my driving ability up against your smug feeling of having the Z51 anyday... do you seriously think your pushing your "superior" Z51 to its limits? If you are, you are with the select few on this board... It's 90% driver, 10% car on most tracks, in case you didn't know.
Uhh, sorry but Z51 sways won't get you the performance you get with full Z51 car. Shocks+Springs+trans+coolers+tires+brake s. From what I've read on these forums for dedicated racers, cooling becomes an issue with the non-Z51 cars with high transmisson temps.

If anyone has an issue it's the non-Z51 owners. All I constantly hear is how much the Z51 package is a rip-off and a sway bar upgrade it all that's needed. Let's face the facts, if you want to track the car and want the best performance from factory without buying a Z06, the Z51 option enhances the base C6 performance.

Last edited by Silver05GTO; 01-15-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:19 PM
enjoytheview
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RedC6
ACTUALLY it doesn't matter in an automatic if you have the performance axle, which most do. So a non-Z51 with a performance axle has the same acceleration as a Z51.

My posting has NOTHING to do for/against the Z51 package, just stating the facts. Why do you assume that I don't have a Z51 package, is this in some way talking bad about the Z51 package and hurting your feelings? Sorry about that, the Z51 package makes those that have it FAR superior to our non-Z51 friends, heck I won't even talk to them at Vette meets
Just to clarify...what you're saying is you don't have a z-51?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:23 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

Back on topic ladies...This is a funny coincidence because my MMA instructor just picked up a 911 Targa and says we have to run them. Although I doubt I'll be able to get him to a track so I guess it wont happen. I don't know how good of a driver he is but hopefully my 4:10s, VR, and tune will keep him back. Unfortunately he'll more than make up for it with the *** whoopin' he'll give me in class. I'll let you know if anything happens come spring time.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by welcome2try
Here we go again.. The Z-51 comes with 3.42's, What does The base c6 come with?
If its a manual, 3.42s. However the transmission gearing through the first 3 gears is lower in the Z51. Thats where the big difference is.

Non Z51 vs Z51 transmission gear ratios:

First: 2.66 vs 2.97
Second: 1.7 vs 2.07
Third: 1.30 vs 1.43
Fourth: 1.00 vs 1.00
Fifth: 0.74 vs 0.71
Sixth: 0.50 vs 0.57

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
And like any "real world" numbers owners will post you have no way of knowing the circumstances they were achieved under so there could be no direct correlation in a "head to head" match up of the two cars you have in mind on any give day in America.

A faster car can loose to a slower car any day of the week if the circumstances are right. Not sure what that proves other than one driver is better than the other or got lucky. As a starting point have you looked at the data the manufactures provide?

Tom

I believe that these articles may have been referenced already, if not then here they are:
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...ict-page2.html
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=8774

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-15-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:38 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

Location: Objects in your mirror are losing , Long Island, NY
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
If its a manual, 3.42s. However the transmission gearing through the first 3 gears is lower in the Z51. Thats where the big difference is.

I have the 6 manuel, but for the record, it's all about the driver be it base or Z-51 when it comes to road course or 1/4 mile.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:48 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by welcome2try
I have the 6 manuel, but for the record, it's all about the driver be it base or Z-51 when it comes to road course or 1/4 mile.
Of course.

Any 1/4 mile race where the difference in either car's performance capabilities is less than about 3 tenths in a quarter mile could be considered "a driver's race" IMO.

But if you are comparing equally good drivers, the better performing car will usually win. Road course or quarter mile as you say.

The results published in the automotive literature are produced by professionals who supposedly don't have a dog in the fight, and are typically the average of multiple runs. This is why I put more stock into those numbers than some of the others.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-15-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette Z51 VS Porsche 911 or 911s...who win?

Old 01-15-2007, 06:58 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
Of course.

Any race where the difference in either car's performance capabilities is less than about 3 tenths in a quarter mile could be considered "a driver's race." If one car is less than 3 tenths quicker than the other, unless you are talking about excellent drivers or outright professionals, then it is a "driver's race" IMO.

But if you are comparing equally good drivers, the better performing car will usually win. Road course or quarter mile as you say.

The results published in the automotive literature are produced by professionals who supposedly don't have a dog in the fight, and are typically the average of multiple runs. This is why I put more stock into those numbers than some of the others.
but...

The problem is that when you run into these cars at the track or on the street You get such a variety of driver skill that you never know what the outcome will be. This is why people like to hear what the average driver is doing with these vehicles. Realistically though if you have a grudge with someone or some car the best way to find out who will win is to race(track). At this point it's no longer about who's car is faster. It's about which driver is faster. Because if the faster car loses the only thing that the winner will hear out of the losing driver's mouth are exscuses. Keep it light and keep it fun.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by k0bun
but...

The problem is that when you run into these cars at the track or on the street You get such a variety of driver skill that you never know what the outcome will be. This is why people like to hear what the average driver is doing with these vehicles.
But another point to consider is that the times quoted in the automotive literature, while run by professionals, are usually not times produced by flogging the living $#@+ out of the car.

Some will tell you up front that the times posted in the test cars are not the absolute quickest times which can be produced while abusing the car.

In this regard the times shown in the periodicals are generally slower than the manufacturer's times, and typically much, much slower than the times produced by an owner who is beating his car to within an inch of it's life, and closer to the times that a slightly above average driver can expect.

Realistically though if you have a grudge with someone or some car the best way to find out who will win is to race(track).
And head up, if you are into drag racing. None of that bracket crap.

:At this point it's no longer about who's car is faster. It's about which driver is faster. Because if the faster car loses the only thing that the winner will hear out of the losing driver's mouth are exscuses. Keep it light and keep it fun.
Thats true too. However there are some people who can take a base manual Vette and beat a lesser driver in a C6 Z06. Like you say though, it certainly does not prove which car is quicker or faster however. Thats something which can better be determined by equal drivers at the same venue.

Thats why those Porsche vs Corvette numbers are accurate. About as accurate as you are going to get.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:28 PM
debmwb
Burning Brakes

Ya know...I don't know why everyone is quoting 0-? numbers and 1/4 miles times. That wasn't what the porsche was built for anyway. One would want to look at the C6 vs. Porsche times on a road course to get a better feel for performance between the two (I think they did that at "The Ring").

Eventhough I have one (a Z-51 that is), I wish folks on this part of the forum would only worry about comparing Z's as in Z06. The C5 forum doesn't have all this banter about "mines a Z-51" going on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vette Z51 VS Porsche 911 or 911s...who win?