C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Speed Manual Guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:39 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 6 Speed Manual Guys

Would like to know how long it took for all you guys with 6 sp manual's (C6 and Z06) to get comfortable with your cars stick. And in your opinion, do you feel that you do as good as the A6, in terms of misses/smoothness? And as an added thought, do you feel, if you had it to do again, you'd choose the A6. Thanks, I really appreciate your input.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:41 PM
VERTBLK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual thats one of the reason's I got the car. Not as smooth as an auto but a lot more fun

Last edited by VERTBLK; 01-08-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:43 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,830 Likes on 2,071 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I'll tell you in 30 days. I've driven a stick for 47 years. Never had problems getting used to a clutch. A clutch is a clutch.

Elmer
Old 01-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VERTBLK
Manual thats one of the reason's I got the car. Not as smouth as an auto but a lot more fun
Every time I drive it I try to improve my smoothness. Going through the gears quickly is easy; low speeds and smoothness--no jerking, is the challenge--at least to me. But that's one reason I bought the stick after 30 years of driving hi-po cars with an automatic.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:59 PM
300mph
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my 6 sp manual now for a few days. So far I love it. I think the clutch is perfect for me, very good feel right from the first drive. I'm still getting used to the feel of the shift pattern as compared to a 4 sp though. I'm sure it's just me but having the spring tension to the left and the right will take a little getting use to. The shifter is normally held floating in the 3 - 4 position. The one thing I haven't quit figured out yet, and maybe others could chime in on this, is that it feels like the spring to the right that takes you to the 5-6 positions is the same position for reverse. Is this true? Just sitting in the garage and trying it out with the motor off it feels that way. Now I'm curious, I'll have to go take a drive and investigate further.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:11 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GotVett?
And as an added thought, do you feel, if you had it to do again, you'd choose the A6
Would I buy the A6 if I had it to do over? No.

Tom
Old 01-08-2007, 03:13 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 300mph
I've had my 6 sp manual now for a few days. So far I love it. I think the clutch is perfect for me, very good feel right from the first drive. I'm still getting used to the feel of the shift pattern as compared to a 4 sp though. I'm sure it's just me but having the spring tension to the left and the right will take a little getting use to. The shifter is normally held floating in the 3 - 4 position. The one thing I haven't quit figured out yet, and maybe others could chime in on this, is that it feels like the spring to the right that takes you to the 5-6 positions is the same position for reverse. Is this true? Just sitting in the garage and trying it out with the motor off it feels that way. Now I'm curious, I'll have to go take a drive and investigate further.
I had the A4 in my '04 coupe and I'm really glad I went with manual in the '07. You realy are "driving" the car with a manual instead of just steering it with the auto IMOP.
The spring tension is really a smart feature. Going into 1st requires a concious left force but 2nd to 3rd is a straight shot because of the spring tension. 4th is straight back also but 5th requires a concious right pressure. Basically, you're letting the spring tension do the work for you as one forum member put it.

Last edited by JJC5; 01-08-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:19 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

theres nothing like driving an M6. 2nd to 3rd on hard accel. needs percesion. It take a while to feel/get comfortable with M6+400hp.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:22 PM
jjohn918
Drifting

I love my MN6. I had the manual in my C5 as well, and I really wouldn't do it any other way. I could have gone with the A6, but nothing about it really appealed to me. Personally I feel that there is less that can go wrong with the MN6 compared to the A6. Not to mention I like the feel of rowing through the gears.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:27 PM
gmad
Intermediate

I haven't had a chance to drive the A6, however, I can't imagine buying a sports car with an automatic. Never had any problems getting use to the clutch. Have driven a clutch for the past 30 years.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 PM
DonSet
Intermediate

I have driven stick shift cars my whole life but I have to say the C6 is the easiest stick I have ever driven. Although, Idon't think a human could ever match the smoothnes of an automatic as it slips from gear to gear i cannot imagine having anthing but a stick. A close friend of mine bought the automatic and now she wishes she had gotten the 6-speed. I live in LA area and even in traffic it is no problem. If you want smooth get a Lexus sedan (IMHO).
Old 01-08-2007, 03:34 PM
carjon
Burning Brakes

A little contrary to what others have said, my 05 Z51 doesn't have the smoothest transmission that I've ever driven and the gear position 3 vs 6 does take some time but I wouldn't do any different. A Corvette is, in general, not the easiest car to drive smoothly and well but that is part of what makes it great. When you and the car are in sync there is nothing like it that I've driven.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:34 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my z06 0-60 is as smooth as an auto could ever hope to be
Old 01-08-2007, 03:37 PM
LloydP
Racer

Would like to know how long it took for all you guys with 6 sp manual's (C6 and Z06) to get comfortable with your cars stick. And in your opinion, do you feel that you do as good as the A6, in terms of misses/smoothness? And as an added thought, do you feel, if you had it to do again, you'd choose the A6. Thanks, I really appreciate your input.
I didn't own a manual for about 20 years and had some difficulty adjusting to a manual. It is a big engine with a heavy flywheel. It takes some time to quit jerking your passengers around. The shifter doesn't help at first, mine didn't loosen up until around 6k Miles. No matter how smooth you get, the MN6 is still a pain in stop and go traffic.

Every time I drive it I think the MN6 is a technology holdover from the 20's in a 21st century car. The automatic is good but still not the answer. Hopefully we will see something better like an 8 speed twin cluch arrangment or a CVT in the near future.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:46 PM
SBMtbiker
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 52 Posts

I too love my MN6. Took me about a week to get used to the shifter. My other car is a MN5 and the clutch was different. The MN6 is so much fun. you really feel you have control of all that horsepower. When you down shift you don't have to go through all of the gears. I am getting the sixshooter to shorten the throws. The MN 6 is easy to drive smooth with a nice lite clutch. I drove the A6 and would not consider it.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I sold my C5 manual daily driver to buy my C6 manual daily driver, and it took me about a week to fully adjust to the subtle differences. The C6 shifter is notchier and the clutch engages at a slightly different pedal position. As a result of driving manuals for 30 years I am fairly smooth and rarely miss, but an A6 never misses and it would be smoother than me. If I had it to do again, I'd still get a manual, it's just way more fun IMHO.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 638 Likes on 394 Posts

There's no way I'm as smooth with my manual transmission as I would be with an auto. However, all my cars are sticks--I prefer the more precise connection between the engine speed and road speed.

I drive 120 miles round trip, through Los Angeles traffic, every day. The stick makes the drive more fun--it gives my left foot something to do. And every now and they I get to blast through one of the canyons, which can't be beat in a manual transmission car.

(The other cars are a 2004 GTO and a 2006 Honda Accord V6--both six speed manuals. The Honda's transmission is by far the best, but its clutch feel is the worst.)

Get notified of new replies

To 6 Speed Manual Guys

Old 01-08-2007, 04:00 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

One afternoon of driving was enough for me to get used to this 6 speed's quirks. I have only owned manuals for the last 25 years, so it isn't too hard for me to adjust to a new ride's setup.

I haven't driven the A6, but I am fairly confident in my ability to get the max potential out of any car's manual transmission in a race, given at least a day to get used to it.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Red07C6
Instructor

I've had a C5 6spd and auto,and a C6 6spd,the C6 shifter is tighter than the C5.I just love banging gears!(also keeps the girlfriends out of the drivers seat)
Old 01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 334 Posts

MN6 is the only way to go.....every one of my sports cars, starting with a 1959 MGA Coupe has had a manual tranny & the C6 6 speed is best of them all!

Quick Reply: 6 Speed Manual Guys