C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Splash Guard Install-Final Chapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 02:59 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z06 Splash Guard Install-Final Chapter

Look Ma....No trimming !!!!

After several attempts at finishing a thread, and being plagued by infighting of naysayers , I will update with a no nonsense install of the Z06 rear spalsh guards that require NO TRIMMING

The closed threads showed pix of the rough fit which had a gap.
The splash guard contour does match the C6 wheel arch, if you push and twist the Z06 guard so as to make it conform.
This is not a difficult task.

Problem that can cause a gap if using a general purpose VHB tape, is that as you secure the lower side with the two 7MM screws it tends to torque the guard in the opposite direction and away from the wheel arch opening.

The operative words to remember are "general purpose VHB tape"

Once you get your guards use a sharp razor knife or an X-acto knife to cut out all the internal webbing in the fold of the guard.
You also want to remove the bracket with the mounting hole in it.
The bracket is actually secured to the guard with VHB tape, so just slide your blade under it and it will release.

The purpose of removing all the webbing is to limit the amount of torque or twisting in the guard as you conform to the C6 wheel arch.

Most important is not to use a general purpose VHB tape, as it doesn't bond strong or quick enough to overcome the torque of fastening the lower edge.

What you want to use is 3M #4952 for "hard to bond surfaces".
Cost is $16.82 for 1/2" x 5 yds x .045 thick from McMaster Carr ( www.mcmaster.com ) and is their stock number 76675A21

You want to line the inner wheel arch flange with two rows of the VHB #4952 on the lower edge and one row as the flange tapers upward.

Line up the guard and conform to the area that is below the body joint between the quarter panel and rear fascia.

Then just twist to conform the upper section of the guard to the wheel arch opening, making sure you press firmly into place. Hold pressure for about thirty seconds and you're good to go. This stuff sticks extremely well, contrary to some who believe that mechanical fasteners are required.

The resulting gap is less then 1/32" which presents me no problem as you must have some space when two body panels meet.

Pix prove out the "no trimming" install.

And for those that requested an inside shot. The Z06 guard does more then cover the wheel arch flange and extends into the wheel well.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:02 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet ... this should be a sticky ...
Old 12-23-2006, 03:10 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by AP
Sweet ... this should be a sticky ...
Thanks...and very "sticky" 3M VHB is the secret to a ten minute install !!!
Old 12-23-2006, 03:12 PM
AP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RBYCC
Thanks...and very "sticky" 3M VHB is the secret to a ten minute install !!!
... true ...
Old 12-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

ordered the tape
Old 12-23-2006, 03:33 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Grumpy
ordered the tape
Forgot to mention as it's almost 70 degrees today along the Mid Atlantic coast is to make sure you're installing in temp over 60 degrees ideally.

You can use a 1500 watt hair dryer to give you ample localized heating if the ambient temp is too cold !
Old 12-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Thanks for those final details. Just ordered the tape and ordering a new left side molding to replace the one that I destroyed trying to cut the body contour into it to make it fit.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:08 PM
C5fourj
Instructor

Default gravel gaurd

great post, been watching to see how this came out.
supposed to get my new lmb '07 coupe today but think the snow storm got it.
ordered the tape, i'll be waiting...
Old 12-23-2006, 04:09 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Outstanding job and write up!
Old 12-23-2006, 04:15 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another GREAT job by RBYCC!! I might mention having used the 3M VHB tape myself on my GM Race Spoiler install (instead of drilling 4 more bolt holes) and other uses, here are my important tips for a successful and long lasting tape job.

1. Make sure to clean the areas your are going to be putting the VHB tape with a 50/50 mix of water and 70% Isopropyl alcohol (or just straight 70% is OK too).

2. Apply some pressure for a few mintues. 3M VHB achieves 20& strength after 20 minutes, 50% after 4 hours, 90% after 24 hours
and 100% after 3 days.....all at TEMPS at or above 70 degrees!

3. Best to allow the first app (side) of the tape to sit for at least 24hours at 70 degrees temp and then, remove the cover tape and apply the second sticky side.

If you are willing to wait for the 2-3 days at 70 degree temp, then and only then will the 3M VHB be virtually guaranteed to stick.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:21 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

That is a great looking install..... What are you using to protect the front?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:43 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by siffert
Another GREAT job by RBYCC!! I might mention having used the 3M VHB tape myself on my GM Race Spoiler install (instead of drilling 4 more bolt holes) and other uses, here are my important tips for a successful and long lasting tape job.

1. Make sure to clean the areas your are going to be putting the VHB tape with a 50/50 mix of water and 70% Isopropyl alcohol (or just straight 70% is OK too).

2. Apply some pressure for a few mintues. 3M VHB achieves 20& strength after 20 minutes, 50% after 4 hours, 90% after 24 hours
and 100% after 3 days.....all at TEMPS at or above 70 degrees!

3. Best to allow the first app (side) of the tape to sit for at least 24hours at 70 degrees temp and then, remove the cover tape and apply the second sticky side.

If you are willing to wait for the 2-3 days at 70 degree temp, then and only then will the 3M VHB be virtually guaranteed to stick.
Gary

Appreciate much your additional comments as they will create the optimum install using VHB.

I sometimes take the "basics" for granted because I fool around with the stuff so much.
Most don't realize how many automotive applications VHB has taken away from mechanical fasteners.

It was around 70 degrees today, but I also used a hair dryer on the guards and the wheel arches to get them up to a higher temp, before applying the tape.

The 3M # 4952 is designed for hard to bond surfaces, so it really adheres firmly with pressure applied for under a minute.
It still however requires adequate curing time to develop the max bond strength.

Thanks again for your constructive input

Ed A.

Last edited by RBYCC; 12-23-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:57 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by cthusker
That is a great looking install..... What are you using to protect the front?
Actually had a set of Pipedreams guards at all four corners for over a year.

I became interested in the Z06's because of the look and what appeared to be a challenge to install !

I just ordered for the front, a set of Altech guards that will match somewhat the Z06 look.
Meanwhile I'm experimenting with fitting a modified rear Z06 guard to the front.
So far, not that happy with the initial results !

Not knocking Pipedreams guards as they are basic, and very functional, but for me they served their purpose.
I get bored and am always thinking of some stuff to do to the C6 or one of my Mercs...

Fortunately most mods are easily reversible, so they give, even a novice, a chance for the "hands on" and "look what I did" experience and pride in personalizing their ride !
Old 12-23-2006, 10:01 PM
MichaelB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by RBYCC
Actually had a set of Pipedreams guards at all four corners for over a year.

I became interested in the Z06's because of the look and what appeared to be a challenge to install !

I just ordered for the front, a set of Altech guards that will match somewhat the Z06 look.
Meanwhile I'm experimenting with fitting a modified rear Z06 guard to the front.
So far, not that happy with the initial results !

Not knocking Pipedreams guards as they are basic, and very functional, but for me they served their purpose.
I get bored and am always thinking of some stuff to do to the C6 or one of my Mercs...

Fortunately most mods are easily reversible, so they give, even a novice, a chance for the "hands on" and "look what I did" experience and pride in personalizing their ride !
Where did you order the Z06 guards? Nice post. Thanks
Old 12-23-2006, 10:04 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Thanks for those final details. Just ordered the tape and ordering a new left side molding to replace the one that I destroyed trying to cut the body contour into it to make it fit.
Walt

Try dry or rough fitting the right side to give you a hands on feel of how it will conform to the C6 wheel arch contour.

You'll have an idea of how to hold and line up the lower section while pushing the upper section onto the tape and into conformance.

Important to remove all the webbing and bracket from the Z06 guard as this will make the install much easier.

Ed A.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:06 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by MichaelB
Where did you order the Z06 guards? Nice post. Thanks

Michael
Forum vendor Fred Beans.
They normally have in stock for same or next day shipment.
Ed A.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:34 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy
ordered the tape
Me too!

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Splash Guard Install-Final Chapter

Old 12-24-2006, 12:29 AM
Gillvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write up.......Thanks for posting.

I'm going to give it my best shot.

Last edited by Gillvette; 03-19-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:06 AM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spectum
Excellent write up.......Thanks for posting.

I'm going to give it my best shot.
If you have any problems, feel free to PM me !!!
We're all in this together !!!

HO, HO, HO,
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!
Old 12-24-2006, 09:06 AM
JJWVETTE
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice,now I will try to use the one's I ordered and have been sitting in the garage all summer

Quick Reply: Z06 Splash Guard Install-Final Chapter