C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

1-4 Skip Shift, WHY GM WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:50 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I'd rather pay the $1000 GG tax than spend $20 on a part... Heck I can even roll the $1000 in financing... LOL
You are kidding,I hope.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 666C6
Can someone explain how the skip shift actually functions? I'm in the market for a new C6 and want to know what to expect.

Thanks!
From my 2006 Owner's Manual:

One-to-Four Shift Light
(Manual Transmission)
When this light comes on,
you can only shift from
FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4)
instead of FIRST (1) to
SECOND (2).
You must complete the shift into FOURTH (4) to turn
off this feature. This helps you get the best possible
fuel economy.
After shifting to FOURTH (4), you may downshift to a
lower gear if you prefer.
Notice: Forcing the shift lever into any gear except
FOURTH (4) when the 1 TO 4 SHIFT light comes
on may damage the transmission. Shift only from
FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4) when the light comes on.
This light will come on when:
• The engine coolant temperature is higher than
169°F (76°C),
• you are going 15 to 19 mph (24 to 31 km/h) and
• you are 21 percent throttle or less.
I try to stay in first until I hit 20 mph or use more than 21% throttle and thereby avoid it 95% of the time. If it does engage, I shift out of fourth to third before letting out the clutch.

Last edited by Indy-hp; 12-17-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:10 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

The parameters for my Camaro LS6 activating the skip shift are:
Vehicle speed enable = 199 MPH (must be above this to enable)
Maximum VSE = 1.0 MPH (must be below this to enable)
Maximum Throttle Enable = 1.3% (Must be below this value to enable)
Coolant Temp Enable = 283 F (Must be above this to enable)

Gee, I never get to see the light! I wonder why?

E
Old 12-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by nightmel
I'm sure that this has been beaten to death somewhere in the past. But why does GM insist on the Skip Shift? How many peoople actually use it. I always rev out of that band and will get an eliminator tonight. But again the question does GM not realize that Vette owners dont want it? I consider myself still young at 31, but I even spoke to an older Gentleman the other day that had already replaced his. So my point is I don't even think age is a factor here. Is it an emmisions thing?

That highlighted sentence above doesn't make sense.

And why are you getting the eliminator?????

Oh and YES, this topic has been beated to death 1000 times here on this forum..
Old 12-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Fast Mover
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A funny side note about the skip shift feature: 2 years ago while checking out the orig. CTS-V at a caddy dealer A Salesman proudly mentioned this feature about the CTS-V I then told him I am familiar with this feature and that it SUCKS!
Old 12-17-2006, 04:02 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by MYVetteBy25
Would you rather pay a $1000 gas guzzler tax? If GM did not put in skip shift you'd be stuck paying that. Be thankful that GM made it so easily defeatable.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:36 PM
SCModerator
Racer

I may be one of the few people on this forum who like the CAGS. If I'm just driving in traffic and going slow, going into 4th from 1st is fine. I know I'm saving gas. The CAGS is easy to defeat just by driving different. I also like the 5th and 6th gears exactly the way they are. The fact that the motor is loafing down the highway at 80 mph and still getting upwards of 28 mpg is a plus. My C6 is my "road car" - the one that I take on trips because of the gas mileage. I frequently go to LA from Las Vegas and back and I can run any speed I want safely and surprise - economically as well. This is a great car.

Some of you guys just get to me - complain, complain, complain... Do you ever have anything positive to say?

Gregg.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Hoosier Red
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you keep activating your CAGS, you need to quit driving your Corvette like an arthritic Grandma!
Old 12-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Driving the Z I typically go first, to third, to fifth. Try it, you'll like it. I never notice 1-4 skip shift even when the light is on.

RG
Old 12-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Bellboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Driving the Z I typically go first, to third, to fifth. Try it, you'll like it. I never notice 1-4 skip shift even when the light is on.

RG
That is the same shift pattern I typically use also. Occasionally when going around a corner I'll go back to 2nd then to 4th. Works for me. I'm still getting the CAGS eliminator cause I don't like to be told how to shift... not even occasionally.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:19 PM
MYVetteBy25
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCModerator
I may be one of the few people on this forum who like the CAGS. If I'm just driving in traffic and going slow, going into 4th from 1st is fine. I know I'm saving gas. The CAGS is easy to defeat just by driving different. I also like the 5th and 6th gears exactly the way they are. The fact that the motor is loafing down the highway at 80 mph and still getting upwards of 28 mpg is a plus. My C6 is my "road car" - the one that I take on trips because of the gas mileage. I frequently go to LA from Las Vegas and back and I can run any speed I want safely and surprise - economically as well. This is a great car.

Some of you guys just get to me - complain, complain, complain... Do you ever have anything positive to say?

Gregg.
1-4 is not healthy for the car. I never start from a stop in 2nd gear. Having the car in 4th at 15-20mph is almost as bad.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:03 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MYVetteBy25
1-4 is not healthy for the car.....Having the car in 4th at 15-20mph is almost as bad.
BS, this is not 1950. With the computer controling all aspects of engine management you can't hurt do anything to the engine. If you want to lug around at 800 rpms no problems. You want to floor it in 4th at those rpms no problem also, the computer will not open the throttle blade or deliver the fuel any faster than the engine can take it. Your foot is only telling the computer what you want, the computer will give it to you only if it is safe for the engine.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Irv
Drifting

Originally Posted by SCModerator
I may be one of the few people on this forum who like the CAGS. [snip]

Gregg.
About CAGS, CAFE, and too tall gearing? No. I'm glad you're happy, though. In 15 years of dealing with CAGS you are the only person I've ever met that likes it.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:03 PM
MYVetteBy25
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TMyers
BS, this is not 1950. With the computer controling all aspects of engine management you can't hurt do anything to the engine. If you want to lug around at 800 rpms no problems. You want to floor it in 4th at those rpms no problem also, the computer will not open the throttle blade or deliver the fuel any faster than the engine can take it. Your foot is only telling the computer what you want, the computer will give it to you only if it is safe for the engine.
Well, I sure didn't like how the car vibrated when I was forced into a 1-4 shift at 15mph Out went the CAGS
Old 12-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Brianapal
Instructor

To those who are debating M6 or automatic, don't go to the automatic for the sole reason of the skip shift.

The skip shift 1-4 is a PITA. However, as many have stated it is easily defeated by the skip shift eliminator for $20. I now I have total control at any speed from 1st.

I love the 6 speed manual.

I agree with those who stated that it is not good for the engine to be in 4th gear at 15mph. Computer or no computer it is a push ROD engine.

M6 + skip shift eliminator= a great and fun car!!!! Just a joy to drive!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Warren Seale
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

You know that the the skip shift is intended to be eliminated when they clearly lable the cable/connector to make it easy to find.

Warren
06 DSOM Vert,Z51,M6
Old 12-18-2006, 01:20 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

You don't have to be an expert with a manual transmission to know that the proper shift point varies depending on how fast (or slow) you accelerating. When you are accelerating slowly in a traffic situation, the car shifts much smoother at a lower RPM instead of waiting for that magic cutoff point when you are slowly revving the rpms past the 1-4 cutoff point. When you shift at a high RPM, but are driving slowly, you will get that lurching affect instead of a smooth transition.

Personally, I think CAGS is ok if it keeps the gas guzzler tax off of the car, but I have bypassed it. I do vary my shift point depending on the driving situation, and there are times where 1st to 2nd in a low RPM is the "correct" way to drive a manual transmission.

Get notified of new replies

To 1-4 Skip Shift, WHY GM WHY?

Old 12-18-2006, 01:23 PM
chuckr
Racer

What light are you talking about I never see the light Go Fast
Chuck
Old 12-18-2006, 01:28 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this has been beaten to death, but...

I've had this 'feature' on Vettes since my '96, and I've never bothered to install a bypass device; I've not seen any advantage.

It is dreadfully simple; shift from 1st to 2nd at 20 MPH or above, always. It is such an ingrained habit, I don't even know if CAGS is working on my car. I simply never see it.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:12 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mforman42
I know this has been beaten to death, but...

I've had this 'feature' on Vettes since my '96, and I've never bothered to install a bypass device; I've not seen any advantage.

It is dreadfully simple; shift from 1st to 2nd at 20 MPH or above, always. It is such an ingrained habit, I don't even know if CAGS is working on my car. I simply never see it.

And contrary to what some believe (Road & Track for one), you don't have to be overly aggressive on acceleration to defeat CAGS - just get it up to about 20mph before you shift.

Quick Reply: 1-4 Skip Shift, WHY GM WHY?