C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Dennis B.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall question.

Hi:
I have not been able to post in a while but I'm back. I did tale delivery of my 06 Coupe from Tommy @ MacMulkins in April. The care is awesome as was doing business with Tommy. I just received my recall notice for thr roof panel. Checking recent posts I have seen some dissatisfaction with the results of the repairs. Ex. Roof panel making noises when the car goes over bumps. I also see some dissatisfaction with the replacement panels not lining up properly. When adjustments are made the result is that the clear panel doesn'y fit properly. (I ordered my car with a clear panel also)
So now I don't know what to do. Should I push for a replacement painted panel? Should I push for the repair option at the risk of a noisy roof panel. I would probably get rid of the car all together if the panel starts to rattle. Should I just do nothing? Probably not a wise option. Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dennis B.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

On the C6 registry site they imply all these roofs will be replaced with the newer SMC roof eventually. Until then you can quiet these roofs, same as C5. Silicone grease to all mating surfaces and connectors and pins. You can try the rear adjustment with a small allen wrench. I have had best results with lowering the front edge adjuster as far as possible in both my C5 and 6. There is also some felt that the dealer has.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:08 PM
NightFlight
Burning Brakes

I took mine in under the recall and it came looking as good as when it went in (which was great) and I haven't heard/experianced any 'noises' when going over bumps
Old 12-15-2006, 04:34 PM
racerx1909
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

short term results are good...no creaks over bumps even after sitting out in the parking lot all day in the sun...it has been sunny and in the 40-50's here in cleveland...looks just as good as before the fix...
Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 PM
rdm1465
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took mine in for the recall. It didn't have any problems with it to begin with as far as I know.

The top came back as originally taken in. Still no problems. So far.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Dennis B.
Intermediate

Thanks to all responders. Info is appreciated. Happy holidays!
Dennis B.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Altc
Racer

I refuse to have the recall fix on my C6 I want replacement as I believe with some sunny days it will fail again. I spoke to the Service manager and he told me that he would look at it and determine what was needed. I told him that I buy a new one every couple of years and that I would look at other dealers. After a few minutes of back and forth we got it settled. For those of you who have the dual roof option it is more of a problem. The reason is that half the time I am using the clear roof.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rdm1465
I took mine in for the recall. It didn't have any problems with it to begin with as far as I know.

The top came back as originally taken in. Still no problems. So far.

My top passed inspection, no separation, and the dealer added the foam adhesive as specified in the recall. Zero difference in apearance. Take it in and get it checked. If it's not separated, you will be good to go and no liability if it flys off later and hits the car behind you. If it's separated, you need a new roof and may have to adjust for an "in between" fit for both roofs. Not a perfect solution, but better than not having it checked.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:08 PM
RickCarn
Cruising

I took my car in for the roof recall inspection today. The dealer said no problem was noted but they applied the additional adhesive. It appears they used some kind of roller to press each side of the roof down to seat the adhesive. I know this because there is a 6 in. by 1 1/2 in. roller mark in the clearcoat on each side of the roof. I picked my car up right at closing time and didn't notice the marks until I stopped for gas. I'll be calling the dealer first thing tomorrow. Has anybody else had this problem?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:11 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Hassle
Old 12-21-2006, 10:45 PM
overrev64
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RickCarn
I took my car in for the roof recall inspection today. The dealer said no problem was noted but they applied the additional adhesive. It appears they used some kind of roller to press each side of the roof down to seat the adhesive. I know this because there is a 6 in. by 1 1/2 in. roller mark in the clearcoat on each side of the roof. I picked my car up right at closing time and didn't notice the marks until I stopped for gas. I'll be calling the dealer first thing tomorrow. Has anybody else had this problem?
My roof has been creaking since after the first time it was removed a year and a half ago. I received the recall and took it into the dealer. I had checked it myself before taking it in and there was no separation, so I figured they would just spray the foam adhesive. And that's all they did. They got some glue or something on the paint and there are some light scratches as well. I too picked up the car at night and when I brought these blemishes to the service writer's attention the following day, he didn't know how they happened! The service manager was on vacation at the time, so I was going to wait, but now it turns out the dealership is going out of business next week. Maybe that's for the best.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
If it's not separated, you will be good to go and no liability if it flys off later and hits the car behind you.
Of course you're liable, it's your car!

Get notified of new replies

To Recall question.

Quick Reply: Recall question.