C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do cold tires cause fishtailing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 02:18 PM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aaaaa
Yes. Cold tires have less traction than warm tires. Also cold pavement has less traction than warm pavement. Curves that were no trouble all summer suddenly become treacherous(sp). You'll have to adjust your driving for conditions.
What took me by surprise (other than the physical reality of course) is that I do that left turn every day without issue. Goes to show you after a long day at work, you still have to remember the world around you has changed (in this case the season) and you have to pay attention and adjust. :o

The experience reminded me of an earthquake. During and just after the event your concerned for your life and those around you. Then when you look around and see no one got hurt - you think - that was awesome!
Old 12-09-2006, 02:24 PM
67C2NY
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hasn't anyone watched a NASCAR race?? Whenever 'fresh' tires are put on (with VERY low air pressure), the drivers do everything they can to heat up the tires - and stick - since they are non-tread slicks. That's one of the reasons they accelerate so hard out of their pit and also why they hard weave left and right awaiting the restart (plus as they heat up, they become stickier and pick up more track debris [marbles] which must be cleaned off before the green flag drops.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:57 PM
foliva
Instructor

Originally Posted by shopdog
Abrupt hard acceleration in a turn is the recipe for a disaster from which even Active Handling can't save you. Brake to apex, then smoothly and gradually start applying power. Hot or cold, wet or dry, if you can drive you won't lose control.
Agreed, however, the coefficient of friction of the tire goes down as the temperature goes down. I think that was the intent of the original question.

To your point about smoothness, I'm always amused watching car chases on TV where they hang out the tail going around corners. This is usually the SLOWEST way around a corner.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:04 PM
dstage
Racer

Are you kidding me? Why do you think drivers heat the tires up before they race? for show of course.. lmfao..
Old 12-09-2006, 08:10 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Most of the descriptions of accidents or near accidents posted here start with variations of "I romped on it in a turn". Never, never do that.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:52 PM
jerseyjwild
Instructor

Default Fish tailing

Yeah but ain't it fun being scared,Dude's why did we by these cars if not for BUUUUUZZZZZZ!!!, Sell it if you get to scared
Old 12-09-2006, 11:54 PM
NightFlight
Burning Brakes

Man you gotta warm up the rubber ... been there, done that
Old 12-10-2006, 12:55 AM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 87Clwy
Man you gotta warm up the rubber ... been there, done that
Are we still talk'n about driving?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:40 AM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aaaaa
Are we still talk'n about driving?

Quick Reply: Do cold tires cause fishtailing?