C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New skins in the name of G-Force KDW 2's

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:53 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

Location: Objects in your mirror are losing , Long Island, NY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Default New skins in the name of G-Force KDW 2's

Well, just got back from the tire shop installed G-force KDW 2 tires on my C6 Z51 with the tear drop design. What can I say first impression. They are much quieter than the Emt run flats and a smoother ride quality. They handle very much like the run flats if not better.

Now for the big question? How much traction launching at 1500 rpm? Very impressive, to me it felt like a drag radial tire in regards to traction, second gear power shift at 6500 rpm ? Well, just a hint of tires spin,nothing short of awesome. Those Emt's would smoke them in 2nd gear power shift and ocassinaly in 3rd even when they were new. I am very happy with KDW 2's and would never go back to the run flats.

And I also carry an air pump just in case...
I just wanted to add that, while non run flats are not for everyone, I don't take long road trips, and in 25years of driving, I have never had a situation where the tires failed with a catastrophic result. And the final reason going to non run flats are numerous. But the one that stands out for sure is tire wear at 13,500 miles it's just ridiculous. I drove the Emts on the street and never smoked them except for the ocassional hard launches.

Last edited by welcome2try; 11-27-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:06 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

How many miles did you get on the oem tires?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:14 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by orca1946
How many miles did you get on the oem tires?
13,500 miles
Old 11-27-2006, 08:01 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by welcome2try
Well, just got back from the tire shop installed G-force KDW 2 tires on my C6 Z51 with the tear drop design. What can I say first impression. They are much quieter than the Emt run flats and a smoother ride quality. They handle very much like the run flats if not better.

Now for the big question? How much traction launching at 1500 rpm? Very impressive, to me it felt like a drag radial tire in regards to traction, second gear power shift at 6500 rpm ? Well, just a hint of tires spin,nothing short of awesome. Those Emt's would smoke them in 2nd gear power shift and ocassinaly in 3rd even when they were new. I am very happy with KDW 2's and would never go back to the run flats.

I just wanted to add that, while non run flats are not for everyone, I don't take long road trips, and in 25years of driving, I have never had a situation where the tires failed with a catastrophic result. And the final reason going to non run flats were numerous. But the one that stands out for sure is tire wear at 13,500 miles it's just ridiculous. I drove the Emts on the street and never smoked them except for the ocassional hard launches.
Same scenario except I got almost 20,000 miles on my Z51 original tires, also I carry a scissor jack and plug kit.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:57 PM
6 speed Sid
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a cornering comparison.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:14 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 6 speed Sid
How about a cornering comparison.
I took the the Z51 in a deep turn on a exiting ramp. It cornered as well as the Emt's. I should also note that I have 36 psi of air per tire, which reduces flex on side walls. IMHO the Emt's for the price far outweigh their original purpose.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:47 AM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just wondering, but have you considered the BFG KD's instead of the KDW's? W stands for wet and I heard the KD's will definitely outgrip the W's.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:20 AM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 986_C6
Just wondering, but have you considered the BFG KD's instead of the KDW's? W stands for wet and I heard the KD's will definitely outgrip the W's.
I dont think they make the Killer Dry (KD) yet in our size yet, or I'd have them by now.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:41 AM
welcome2try
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 986_C6
I don't think they make the kd's in the 19's. However I live in long island. In the event I drive in rain, I would like to have the safety of the kdw's. But I never drive in the rain anyway so maybe kd's would have been better. But I really like the kdw 2's based on first impression.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:46 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the KD's on my C5 and they were outstanding tires wet or dry. There were a few times I had the C5 out at highway speeds in serious downpours and never had a problem with the KD's, never.

I would buy them in a second for my C6 (if they made them).
Old 11-28-2006, 08:55 AM
srpbaer
Pro

I took the the Z51 in a deep turn on a exiting ramp. It cornered as well as the Emt's. I should also note that I have 36 psi of air per tire, which reduces flex on side walls. IMHO the Emt's for the price far outweigh their original purpose.

Here comes a dumb question...Is there a way to keep the tire pressure read out on the DIC and still drop the runflats? I hate the tires but like the air pressure feature.
thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Whataguy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Default You're gonna luv 'em

I just wanted to add that, while non run flats are not for everyone, I don't take long road trips, and in 25years of driving, I have never had a situation where the tires failed with a catastrophic result. And the final reason going to non run flats are numerous. But the one that stands out for sure is tire wear at 13,500 miles it's just ridiculous. I drove the Emts on the street and never smoked them except for the ocassional hard launches.
I had to change out my EMTs at 10,000, switched to KDW2 and have been very impressed with their superior performance. No more unexpected tail slips, no more unplanned burnouts. Cornering grip is obviously better. I've got a cloverleaf highway ramp that I always test the G meter on. On EMTs, best I could get was .75, on the KDWs I can push it to .87. I probably could get more if it wasn't for that nasty metal guard rail. I've got 9000 miles (including a day of AutoXing) on KDWs with very little tread wear. I'll gladly buy another set at 25-30,000 miles. Plus the tread pattern is great looking.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:05 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by srpbaer
Here comes a dumb question...Is there a way to keep the tire pressure read out on the DIC and still drop the runflats? I hate the tires but like the air pressure feature.
thanks
The tire pressure system has nothing to do with the brand of tire. The sensors are attached to the valve stems (or at least they are on the C5).
Old 11-28-2006, 09:09 AM
srpbaer
Pro

Originally Posted by JLinNY
The tire pressure system has nothing to do with the brand of tire. The sensors are attached to the valve stems (or at least they are on the C5).
Thanks for the information...I knew they were on the valve stems but somewhere I read that they did work if the tire were changed out from runflats to standard tires...That did not make sense to me and I am no "rocket doctor"...or something like that...
Old 11-28-2006, 09:15 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I've got the KDW's also that replaced the EMT's (Z51 supercar tires), and completely agree with your assesment. These tires are fantastic, and superior in every way to the runcraps. The car is more nimble, less road noise, and more pleasant to drive on long trips.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:39 AM
welcome2try
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by srpbaer
thanks
If I understand you correctly, Do you mean going to non-run flats affect the tire pressure reading on the DIC? Absolutely not, I am proof. reads like a charm..
Old 11-28-2006, 09:40 AM
welcome2try
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Whataguy
I had to change out my EMTs at 10,000, switched to KDW2 and have been very impressed with their superior performance. No more unexpected tail slips, no more unplanned burnouts. Cornering grip is obviously better. I've got a cloverleaf highway ramp that I always test the G meter on. On EMTs, best I could get was .75, on the KDWs I can push it to .87. I probably could get more if it wasn't for that nasty metal guard rail. I've got 9000 miles (including a day of AutoXing) on KDWs with very little tread wear. I'll gladly buy another set at 25-30,000 miles. Plus the tread pattern is great looking.

Get notified of new replies

To New skins in the name of G-Force KDW 2's

Old 11-28-2006, 10:43 AM
BLK-DVL
Pro

I also just switched to the KDWs recently, I agree that the car feels a lot better now with the new tires.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:08 AM
07blkvette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who makes the KDs and what is the price for a set.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 AM
wlee013
Pro

I just got KDW's as well and very impressed with ride and handling. A turn that I could take with my EMT before active handling would kick-in would pull .79 G. With the KDW I hit .99 and no active handling. I felt more confident in the turn with the KDW's.

Quick Reply: New skins in the name of G-Force KDW 2's