C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette makes Consumer Reports most unreliable list....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 10:08 PM
blkvette1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed it said "2007 models unless otherwise noted " - it it did not note otherwise.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:09 PM
jerseyjwild
Instructor

Default corvette rocks CR sucks

My 05 has been awesome and lets see how many other cars can have the rad torn out, come out of the ditch in the middle of nowere and I mean nowere, drive 30 miles+ with no water at all,get a new rad and some other parts replaced,turn key so to speak and continue on down the road as if nothing happened, how about that you *** gobblers at Consumer Reports
Old 01-20-2007, 04:59 AM
lvjetboy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
CR's reports are just that...reports. Corvettes are not noted for reliability or trouble-free service. I would never expect my C6 to approach Toyota or Honda reliability...that's just not a realistic expectation. Some C6's have, in fact, been trouble free, but that's not the point of CR's reports. They are dealing with averages and on average, a Corvette will require more service than the most reliable brands.

I don't get why owners become so defensive every time CR publishes their reliability surveys. I think CR's reports are realistic and not attacks on this or any other car. They post the results of their surveys, nothing more, nothing less.
Bingo!

Except I get why some owners become defensive. It's called brand loyalty or...not being objective.

Originally Posted by shopdog
It's true CR survey's are not a truly scientific sample, because accepted survey responses are only from Consumer Reports members (over 1 million members) Which means there's a degree of self-selection. But response's closely approximate the numbers published by JD Powers, which is a scientifically conducted survey.
Another good point.

I love the power, look and feel of a Corvette more than anything offered by Honda, Toyotta, Ford or Dodge. That's subjective on my part, nothing to do with reliability. I bought another Corvette not because I read CR or have delusions about GM reliability. Yet I'm dissapointed in the reliability of both my 92 Corvette (8 yrs) and 07 Corvette (5 mos) because many of those reliability issues have nothing to do with performance, look or feel. Does my 07 seat belt warning failure at 500 miles have anything to do with how fast it accelerates? No. Nor does the AC door failure. Nor does any of the multitude of other problems I experienced with my 92.

The point is, a Corvette can be so much better. Even if you choose to gloss over problems in favor of performance or brand loyalty, I say BS. Neither my 92 or 07 Vette deserve brand loyalty until reliabilty improves.

Jer

Last edited by lvjetboy; 01-20-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:11 AM
DTMC6
Cruising

No car is purfect.
If I wanted a kitchen appliance I would check CR.
When it comes to a car I buy what I want.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:10 PM
mfinocc
Pro

I wonder if they conducted the testing like they did on the infant car seats?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:44 PM
w.f.tracy
Racer

Originally Posted by mfinocc
BINGO!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:29 PM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ya....

Originally Posted by mfinocc
I went to pick up the issue,, but my roof flew off on the way there.
It was slow going back attached to the tow truck, because my car wouldnt start because of the DBS!
Those jerks...how could they be so wrong!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 05:38 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by steve burns
I went to pick up the issue,, but my roof flew off on the way there.
It was slow going back attached to the tow truck, because my car wouldnt start because of the DBS!
Those jerks...how could they be so wrong!!!
Perfect!

BTW, I don't like the fact that my 2005 corvette is somewhat spotty (3DBS's, rear end fluid changed which, to my knowledge, has not fixed anyones clunking rearend for good and then the clutch packs replaced, headliner replaced (convertible. you know). In all 6 unplanned visits to the dealer in 23 months. I knew it going in (this is my 3rd corvette).

All that said, when I ordered my 2005, I just COULDN'T wait for it to come in (drove my dealer crazy). What the hell, I had Triumphs (note plural) when I was a teen (shows how old I am!) so clearly I am a patient man.

Jimmy
Old 01-21-2007, 05:36 AM
lvjetboy
Racer

Originally Posted by DTMC6
No car is purfect.
If I wanted a kitchen appliance I would check CR.
When it comes to a car I buy what I want.
Performance and reliability are not as mutually exclusive as some may think. And when it comes to buying, you get what you settle for. Brand loyalty breeds contentment with the status quo...a don't worry be happy mentality. Although I love Corvettes I don't see the kind of leadership in design and reliability coupled with performance that inspirers brand worship. All I see is GM cashing Corvette greenstamps and maximizing their bottom line...to the loss of us all. I could be more specific if anyone cares.

jer
Old 01-21-2007, 06:12 AM
c64lucky
Burning Brakes

I own a Lexus LS430 & a C6.

I don't see much difference in build quality. The big difference is Service & Customer Service. I paid about the same $$,$$$.$$ for both Cars. But Lexus is on their Game. They just know how to do things right the first time. They know how to treat their Customers. They are just much more proficient at Customer Service.

When it comes time to fill in their CSI Report Cards I give both 100%.
The C6 because the Service Mgr. tries hard{though it seems like his hands are tied in many of the issues re; Bulletins/Recalls & getting them done right the first time. Why? I don't know.}. Lexus because the deserve it.

I think GM really needs to address this area.

Both are great Cars.

C65Lucky
Old 01-21-2007, 12:05 PM
C5FLORIDA
Advanced

Least reliable (Worst score first)
Pontiac Solstice*
Mercedes-Benz SL
Mercedes-Benz CLK
Mercedes-Benz SLK (V6)
Chevrolet Corvette
Porsche 911 Carrera
Ford Mustang (V6)

pretty good company don't you think?

high performance cars will never be as reliable as appliance cars, but life's about pushing the envelope for us, or we would all buy a corolla, it even has three more seats!
Old 01-22-2007, 05:08 AM
lvjetboy
Racer

Originally Posted by C5FLORIDA
high performance cars will never be as reliable as appliance cars, but life's about pushing the envelope for us, or we would all buy a corolla, it even has three more seats!

The envelope pushed by GM is profit. Passion's a sideline but they won't admit that. Your comparison list of Mercedes, Porche and Mustang means nothing to me because I don't consider those company's motivation any better than GM. What I do know is so-called high performance alone does not mean low reliability or quality. 400 NA hp at 1.1 hp/cu is not technology stretching the envelope.

Of course some will say...don't worry be happy. But I am happy.

Just talking about the "pushing the envelope" thing. Maybe some of us need a bit more pushing. I run a 540 cu chevy at 770 hp NA in my boat. Let's see, that's 1.4 hp/cu on dock gas (87 octane) not 91. Compression is 9.8:1 no supercharger or turbines, etc. Maybe that's really pushing the envelope for some of us? If you'd experience that, you'd get a whole nother meaning for pushing the envelope...nothing to do with Corollas but everything to do with the passion that brought forth a Corvette. Not that GM will go that way. These days they're too busy pushing the profit envelope.

jer

Last edited by lvjetboy; 01-22-2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: .
Old 01-22-2007, 06:37 AM
JUSTRITE
Racer

I.m happy with mine although I only have 190 miles on it
Old 02-01-2007, 08:54 AM
rayainsw
Racer

Default 2006 reliab data added ( online )

These threads seem many times to bring out the most passionate responses.

I subscribe. And although the New Car Issue ( April ) will not hit the newsstands or mailboxes for another 4 weeks or so, I noticed today that at least some of the 2006 reliability data has been posted online.

( I was checking something for my Daughter. )

The 2006 data reported for the Corvette is substantially improved over the 2005 data. And no area is worse. ( A couple of others I checked that were also substantially redesigned in 2005 were actually worse in some areas in 2006 vs 2005. )

Improvements:
Engine Major, Trans., Drive System, Fuel System, Electrical System, Climate Control, Suspension, Brakes, Paint/Trim/Rust, Body Integrity, Body Hardware, Power Equipment, Audio System.

And their ‘Overall’ is improved from much worse than average to worse than average.

Same:
Engine Minor, Engine Cooling, & Exhaust ( all much better than average already )

Draw your own conclusions, but it looks to me like this supports anecdotal evidence here & elsewhere that GM did indeed address several issues with the 2005s in 2006.

YMMV.
- Ray
Happy 2007 driver . . .
Old 02-01-2007, 09:41 AM
jackj
Drifting

Old 02-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwy St*r
Corvette makes Consumer Reports most unreliable list...
Consumer Reports??

Consider the source.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:18 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Consumer reports, the magazine for people who need help deciding what toaster to buy.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette makes Consumer Reports most unreliable list....

Old 02-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Deep Blue
Racer

Originally Posted by lvjetboy
The envelope pushed by GM is profit. Passion's a sideline but they won't admit that. Your comparison list of Mercedes, Porche and Mustang means nothing to me because I don't consider those company's motivation any better than GM. What I do know is so-called high performance alone does not mean low reliability or quality. 400 NA hp at 1.1 hp/cu is not technology stretching the envelope.

Of course some will say...don't worry be happy. But I am happy.

Just talking about the "pushing the envelope" thing. Maybe some of us need a bit more pushing. I run a 540 cu chevy at 770 hp NA in my boat. Let's see, that's 1.4 hp/cu on dock gas (87 octane) not 91. Compression is 9.8:1 no supercharger or turbines, etc. Maybe that's really pushing the envelope for some of us? If you'd experience that, you'd get a whole nother meaning for pushing the envelope...nothing to do with Corollas but everything to do with the passion that brought forth a Corvette. Not that GM will go that way. These days they're too busy pushing the profit envelope.

jer
Profit is what they've always been about-they're a business in a largely capitalist nation. In the end, it's how many people have the disposable income to buy boats, fast cars, etc.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 PM
hazchris
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kill this thread already
Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Yeah , the VEGA I paid for was a good car too?!!

Quick Reply: Corvette makes Consumer Reports most unreliable list....