C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav Stereo won't play MP3s

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 06:56 PM
LMBlewVett
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Juvatpilot, if you are referring to this link

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2cont...06corvette.pdf

it is the 2006 manual...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Juvatpilot
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

You mention page 9-93 of the '06 manual, but, I tried that link . . . and though it does go to a '06 manual . . . the 426 pages of the manual that are displayed don't contain a chapter 9, nor any reference to MP3. I'm still confused!
JuvatPilot
Old 11-02-2006, 09:00 PM
madmxnj
Racer

In the manual for the Corvette Navigation System 2006 ("Part No 10382039 A First Printing" on page ii), on page 3-17 it states "If the customer does not follow these guidelines when recording a CD-R(W), the CD may not play." Later on it states "The files can be recorded on a CD-R or CD-RW iwth a maximum capacity of 700 MB."

So according to the Nav manual, RWs are okay.

Today I did a full erase on the RW and burned just one directory of 10 songs with Roxio 5. I just tried it and the unit doesn't recognize the disk, the same error I get with all the disks that work fine in my truck that were burned with the built-in XP burner.

And I just checked the born on date on the decal in the door jamb and the car was mfg in 06/06, so it shouldn't need the Nav update to play MP3s. WTF!?

I'll check the mode 1 recommendation in a previous post and try a blank CD-R with just one directory again and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:13 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

The Nav MP3 player will read RW's....at least in my 05 with the upgrade....I use Itunes but you are limited to 22 characters in the song title and the artist or the radio will not recognize that the file is even there and in Itunes you have to make sure the ID3 tags are 1.0.

Good Luck

anothercrisis
Old 11-02-2006, 10:03 PM
madmxnj
Racer

John B you da man! Setting it to mode 1 did the trick.

It does play RWs

It didn't show the song or artists names, but it played it! I think I ripped that disk when I was at a computer that wasn't connected to the internet so it didn't have any of the ID stuff, I can fix that.

Thanks to all for your help!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:37 PM
madmxnj
Racer

What a finicky beast. I got it to play on the RW, and show the ID information, but it had some tracks missing and would end tracks prematurely and go to the next track. I figured maybe the RW was the problem so I made a couple of CD-Rs, and I burned at a real low speed, one at 4x and one at 10x. I still have these problems, missing tracks, ending tracks in the middle of a song, etc. This is using Memorex CD-Rs.

These all play 100% no issues in my Ford, which is also 3 years older and costs less than half the price of the vette. The nav is very much a 'nice to have' and I even used it the other night to find a restaurant which was pretty cool. But why does it have to be such a pita with MP3s.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:43 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm a dummy and have no trouble burning and playing MP3 using iTunes on my 06 Nav/Bose audio system

I create a playlist and when I'm ready I pop in a CD-R disc and click on the BURN icon. Done.

Good luck

Tom
Old 11-06-2006, 04:14 PM
BigGeek
Drifting

Originally Posted by madmxnj
What a finicky beast. I got it to play on the RW, and show the ID information, but it had some tracks missing and would end tracks prematurely and go to the next track. I figured maybe the RW was the problem so I made a couple of CD-Rs, and I burned at a real low speed, one at 4x and one at 10x. I still have these problems, missing tracks, ending tracks in the middle of a song, etc. This is using Memorex CD-Rs.

These all play 100% no issues in my Ford, which is also 3 years older and costs less than half the price of the vette. The nav is very much a 'nice to have' and I even used it the other night to find a restaurant which was pretty cool. But why does it have to be such a pita with MP3s.
I had the same problem.

1) It is a very big hit or miss with CD-RW. There is a very large variance with the reflectivity of CD-RWs so it makes it harder for the reader to pick it up over CD-R.

2) The Nav head unit can not play 384kbps mp3s. It will randomly stutter and skip tracks. I set all future burns to 192kbps and the problem was solved.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:04 PM
madmxnj
Racer

I have all mined burned at 192, constant bit rate. I'm going to try another brand of disks and see if it improves.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:42 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Max,

It is finicky .... best luck has been with iTUNES, ID3 tags at 1.0, burn at a much slower speed than your burner, certain brands of disks are problems, you need to watch the FILE NAME (not just song name) length, etc.

All of mine burn just fine now ...

Quick Reply: Nav Stereo won't play MP3s