C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another stupid stoplight challenge

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is priceless! Keep it going, I am having a blast reading these stories!

:

The only story I have dates back to 1989. I just had a new exhaust put on my 1967 Camaro SS 396, I am driving home and pull up to a red light, some teenager with his girlfriend pulls up on my left in a newer (back then) Mustang GT, and revs his engine. I look over at him and emphisize a sleepy *yawn*! The light changes to green, the Mustang punches it. I didn't punch it, I just started through the intersection normally, once through the intersection, THEN I dropped the hammer! Blew past that stupid kid like he was standing still, laughing at him as I past him! We pull up to the next light and he asked me what kind of engine I had. I lean out the window and gesture to the 396 Turbojet Racing Flag emblem on my fender. He says he doubts I have a big block, light turns green and this time I didn't wait, I hammered it, so did the mustang. I left him like a bad habit and didn't back off for a mile ....As long as I had the pedal to the floor, my Camaro was leaving that mustang in the dust! That teenage kid never tried to pull up next to me after that.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:42 AM
Iceman997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Punk
i do that all the time. it is funny.

I get a huge kick out of it actually. It's hilarious to watch what other people do. Usually when they get out in front they realize they still wanna have a look at the vette, so then they slow down again after all that fuss...cracks me up.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:09 AM
Mangs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joey D
You guys should come down to where I live on a Wednesday or Friday night. Every single rice mobile that leaves Raceway Park wants to continue the fun on Rt 9 and Rt 18.

There is nothing quite like the sensation of having a 4 door Accord and a base civic with a 9" tach and "5 sideways muffler tip throwing revs at you while you are sitting in traffic.... at a red light.

It's true. All up and down rt 9 and 18.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:00 AM
bh747
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06, '07, '13, '15

I get them all the time. Ignore em and they go away.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:17 AM
ydlee24
Racer

Originally Posted by Headley Lamar
The only thing that really bothers me is the "proctology" exams. Rev your engine next to me at the stop lights and stomp on it when the light changes... I kinda like the attention... it makes me laugh... but don't ride up me a$$ . I hate that more than anything and I get it constantly in the Vette.
I get people always ridin my rear expecting me to punch it or maybe I drive too slow?
Old 10-26-2006, 06:42 AM
jklarkpimp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by boonewagner
On a recent Saturday morning I was at a stoplight and a Ford GT pulled up, I heard it before I glanced over, and noticed all the racing stripe stuff. It was an old guy like me. We both nodded and drove away, obeying traffic and laws. It was awesome.
oh come on guys.......at least slam the gas until you get to 60mph......you might as well have been driving a toyota prius the brakes on the c6 are so good, you got to watch out for people on your ***, most of the time people just stay back and i cruise with the radar on, but i always cruise with competitive mode on, burnin up the gas, stop lights are the best, the car just takes off, and you can take off fast with out getting a ticket
Old 10-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I were at Taco Bell (home cooking ) and a couple of early 20's guys challenged us to run for $500.00...they had a 99 Camaro SS and it had some work done to it, but don't know how much, anyways, I was skeptical but the wife said go for it(good wife!) and I went over and talked to them...the bet came down to $300.00 and then ,oddly enough...the guys had no $$$ to run with, so they asked to run for fun. OK...I'm game, so we go out to a local hwy and agree on an exit to run from/to and when we get near the exit, the guy jumps early, so I punch it and he becomes a little tiny dot in the side view mirror. I got off at the exit we agreed to, but he kept going. Oh well....guess he didn't want to discuss driving techniques.LOL.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Sven
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

ibtl
Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Idaho Mark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

In due time you don't see them any longer.
OK here's the scoop on me in my town. My business is in a two building business park. Behind me is a full on hot rod shop. You can run a search for Kenny's Rod Shop and see the stuff that they do. There's even Funny Cars there that hit low 7's. So long story fast, I don't have the fastest car on the block, at work anyway. So when I hear this and that rod will handle my corvette. I simply say, "let's have that rod follow me on SR 55 up to McCall, LOL! From Boise to McCall is loaded with low speed curves through the mountains. They know there's no way on earth any of the cars there can hang with me on such roads. So everyone gets to smile knowing we are talking about nothing but American made power cars.
Fact of the matter is, guys who have well into the six slots in bucks invested in some of these cars. Love the corvettes and have owned one or still do.
So when the four piston pukes that make noise like a fart on a PA system want to go off at the green light. I miss them 90 percent of the time until they are in front and cut into my lane hard to let me know that they beat me at the light, LOL!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:18 AM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default wait till you

Originally Posted by BigJoe
I pulled up next to an older Civic a couple days ago that had a really loud fart can muffler. He reved a few times, so I gave it maybe half throttle and suddenly he wasn't there any more. What are these guys thinking?
Pull up next to a civic and it its a 9 second car. Better get off the next ramp because its tough to swallow
Old 10-26-2006, 11:25 AM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default Thats tough to believe

Originally Posted by Evilways
My wife and I were at Taco Bell (home cooking ) and a couple of early 20's guys challenged us to run for $500.00...they had a 99 Camaro SS and it had some work done to it, but don't know how much, anyways, I was skeptical but the wife said go for it(good wife!) and I went over and talked to them...the bet came down to $300.00 and then ,oddly enough...the guys had no $$$ to run with, so they asked to run for fun. OK...I'm game, so we go out to a local hwy and agree on an exit to run from/to and when we get near the exit, the guy jumps early, so I punch it and he becomes a little tiny dot in the side view mirror. I got off at the exit we agreed to, but he kept going. Oh well....guess he didn't want to discuss driving techniques.LOL.
I had the same thing happen to me. I have a intake and headers and took on a SS with work. I beat him but it was a light to light thing. I took him by three lengths. You will top end a guy but light to light they are all pretty tough. You need a better rear for light to light. The vette is better over 50 then most.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:15 PM
dekaran
Racer

Default People drive like idiots around the Vette

I feel people drive like idiots. Its usually in the eveniing when I'm on my way back from work. Some guy in his Nissan Maxima is tailing me on an on ramp to the New Jersey Turnpike. Mind you there is alot of traffic coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel. He goes to pass me on my left and there is no room. He scoots in behind me and then finds some open space and guns it slows down beside me and then hits the gas. I could not understand what he was trying to prove. Then he pulls in front of me and slows down to 70MPH in the left lane. I was fuming, because usuallly 75 in the left lane on NJ Tpke north is reasonable. He did all this jockeying to get in front of me to go slow.

Oh well I just try to drive safe so I can drive the next day!
Old 10-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Speaking of NJ.....I can't even tell you how many crazy minivan drivers have just about killed me here in the great Garden State. Sometimes I think the kids are up front driving and the parents are in the back.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:29 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by UTVOL06
I'm 23 i have a hard time resisting the temptation to blow them away and put them in there place..lol
I am 41 & have the same feelings. I can be mellow and let it all slide, but challenge me when I'm a little fired up - it's game on!
Old 10-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by par34n5
Pull up next to a civic and it its a 9 second car. Better get off the next ramp because its tough to swallow
I have seen 9sec civics in magazines, all owned by shops that do work on cars that run 14-16sec quarters. It's nice to have one so maxxed out to promote your shop/store, but anyone who'd put a Autozone GT-R decal and nos stickers all over his/her ride should'nt be allowed to drive one on the street. Maybe I'm fortunate, but've never been beaten on the track,light to light, or open hwy by an import.The absolute fastest I've ever seen one wasn't , I guess, considered an import, it was a Neon with about a billion lbs of boost through twin turbos and had front slicks.It was all gutted and not at all street legal. Ran low 11's, high 10's but the gy said he had about $80 grand into it at that point. Nutty...he could've had a V8
Old 10-26-2006, 02:57 PM
shagsC6
Racer

I call it the "I THINK IM BIG SYNDROME"
Old 10-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

The little dogs are the ones that bark the most.

Get notified of new replies

To Yet another stupid stoplight challenge

Old 10-26-2006, 02:59 PM
VS 1
Instructor

You guys should come down to where I live on a Wednesday or Friday night. Every single rice mobile that leaves Raceway Park wants to continue the fun on Rt 9 and Rt 18.

There is nothing quite like the sensation of having a 4 door Accord and a base civic with a 9" tach and "5 sideways muffler tip throwing revs at you while you are sitting in traffic.... at a red light.
OMG, you've brought back memories of High School and my '63 Vert! After school, head down the GSP to Raceway Park, be back home before 11 p.m. (MOM SAID! ) Formerly from North Jersey...
Old 10-26-2006, 05:00 PM
It's a Vette thang
Racer

Speaking of NJ.....I can't even tell you how many crazy minivan drivers have just about killed me here in the great Garden State. Sometimes I think the kids are up front driving and the parents are in the back.
The guys driving the minivans around here act like they're at the track or something. I Especially notice it when i'm in my Vette.

When I first got mi C6, I was on this 4 lane road with my top down, and heard this awful racket coming up on me.

I looked in my side mirror to see this pos rice burner, with one of those loud exhaust sysyems to make it sound tough.

He slowed down to match my speed then nails it.
It sounded like he was hauling a$$, but in reality, it looked like he was moving in SLOW MOTION as he went on.
He slowed to "allow" me to catch up, then repeated his actions.

In my rearview I noticed this guy in a chevy truck just shaking his head, in disbelief???

When I got up next to him at the light, I looked over at him and his girl, smiled and put an "L" on my forehead (loser sign), then started laughing.
I looked in my rearview mirror again and saw the guy in a chevy truck laughing his a$$ off.
I resisted the urge to school this dweeb, but if I had the chance to do it ove, Who knows???
Old 10-26-2006, 05:13 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by It's a Vette thang
The guys driving the minivans around here act like they're at the track or something. I Especially notice it when i'm in my Vette.
It's funny, but I have noticed this about minivans for a long time, even before I bought the Corvette. I always wondered why people drive those things so aggressively. Maybe it's because they are pissed off about having to drive a minivan & want to beat on it.

Quick Reply: Yet another stupid stoplight challenge