C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy people out there!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:21 AM
guysair11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crazy people out there!

I was driving down route 1 in milford ct last Thursday afternoon in my 06 velocity yellow coupe when a full size Chevy van pulls up next to me revs his engine and flies away then slows up till i come along side of him and does it again as i approach a traffic light i end up alongside of this nut and he starts the whole process over again as he flies off i pull into a gas station to fill up and this guy turns his van around comes into the gas station and proceeds to curse me out for having a f---n vette and how i thought i was hot sh-t and all, he must have said hot sh-t 5 times while i proceed to put the hose away after pumping in about $1.30 worth of gas and he screams at me to show him my engine this guys face was bright red he then opens his hood to show me his... at which time i climb into my car and take off, he did not follow thank god, let me state that i was not driving aggressively and tried not to antagonize this guy at all, I'm not usually so passive when confronted but this guy scared the hell out of me! Is it the car? the color? or just me? or are there allot of mentally ill people out there...
Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

A lot of crazy people out there, and every day it appears to be someone else's turn to prove it.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:34 AM
greenie99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by guysair11
I was driving down route 1 in milford ct last Thursday afternoon in my 06 velocity yellow coupe when a full size Chevy van pulls up next to me revs his engine and flies away then slows up till i come along side of him and does it again as i approach a traffic light i end up alongside of this nut and he starts the whole process over again as he flies off i pull into a gas station to fill up and this guy turns his van around comes into the gas station and proceeds to curse me out for having a f---n vette and how i thought i was hot sh-t and all, he must have said hot sh-t 5 times while i proceed to put the hose away after pumping in about $1.30 worth of gas and he screams at me to show him my engine this guys face was bright red he then opens his hood to show me his... at which time i climb into my car and take off, he did not follow thank god, let me state that i was not driving aggressively and tried not to antagonize this guy at all, I'm not usually so passive when confronted but this guy scared the hell out of me! Is it the car? the color? or just me? or are there allot of mentally ill people out there...
In a nutshell, here is your answer. Too many cars on the road. Too many angry people driving. Too many drivers in a hurry with no time to think. Get a horse!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:39 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vettes
A lot of crazy people out there, and every day it appears to be someone else's turn to prove it.
Well said.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

All the nuts aren't in nut houses
Old 10-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by greenie99
...Too many cars on the road. Too many angry people driving. Too many drivers in a hurry with no time to think...

As well, there truly ARE a lot of mentally ill people out there. It's important to remember that they are ILL. Try not to get mad at them, it only makes things way worse.

Treat a "crazy" person the way you would a bear in the woods. If you encounter a bear, you don't start cursing at it etc, but instead you do your best to keep the situation under control, keep the bear as calm as possible and then try to get the heck out of there... and then even call authorities if deemed necessary.

Or... like a person who is mentally retarded... you cannot blame them for inappropriate actions, you can only try to help them if possible, and ultimately do your best to keep everyone happy in the end.

I think it's really important that people understand these concepts.

Inconsiderate and mentally ill people are simply unavoidable hazards of the road... just like deer, potholes, black ice, etc, etc, etc. So you need to treat them as such, meaning do not get angry, just do your BEST to avoid or escape the situation with minimal loss to yourself and any other people / property around you.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:19 PM
everjeff
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Heh you definately handled yourself alot better than I probably would have.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:22 PM
ZuluZulu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Wow thats interesting to hear. I live near Memphis and was almost car jacked once. The guy pulled out a piece of 12 inch metal tubing from his coat and acted like he was going to knock out my window. When I grabbed the gun from under the seat he seamed to change his mind though. All this was in day time with tons of cars around.

Tons and tons of insane people out there. Its the dumbing down of America if you ask me. We all need to keep a good awarness of our surroundings and try to remain calm.

If that doesn't work..... shoot first ask questions later lol j/k
Old 10-20-2006, 12:26 PM
STINGREYES
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by everjeff
Heh you definately handled yourself alot better than I probably would have.

BUT YOU DID THE RIGHT THING
Old 10-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

There are a lot of nuts out there, and the Corvette is a car that attracts attention. We don't just blend. I think you handled yourself well. I try to be careful. The idiot might not remember me, but he will remember my car. Not worth getting killed.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet

As well, there truly ARE a lot of mentally ill people out there. It's important to remember that they are ILL. Try not to get mad at them, it only makes things way worse.

Treat a "crazy" person the way you would a bear in the woods. If you encounter a bear, you don't start cursing at it etc, but instead you do your best to keep the situation under control, keep the bear as calm as possible and then try to get the heck out of there... and then even call authorities if deemed necessary.

Or... like a person who is mentally retarded... you cannot blame them for inappropriate actions, you can only try to help them if possible, and ultimately do your best to keep everyone happy in the end.

I think it's really important that people understand these concepts.

Inconsiderate and mentally ill people are simply unavoidable hazards of the road... just like deer, potholes, black ice, etc, etc, etc. So you need to treat them as such, meaning do not get angry, just do your BEST to avoid or escape the situation with minimal loss to yourself and any other people / property around you.

Well said!
Old 10-20-2006, 12:44 PM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

More people these days so more kooks. Just breaks down that way.

None of them worth anyones time and likely dangerous.

As said in Monty Python and the Holy Grail....

Run away!, Run away!
Old 10-20-2006, 12:48 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 2vettes
Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 PM
enjoytheview
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I respect your ability to be patient with that jerk. I would of had trouble not owning him at the light. I have people in non-performance cars try to race me all the time, usually it is just so they can see how fast mine is (at least that's the way i justify their crazieness).

If that had happened to me and the guy followed me to the gas station, there is no way i wouldn't of had some sort of verbal altercation.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:56 PM
rosemaryburm
Melting Slicks

It is a well-known fact that yellow attracts all sorts of insect life.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I commend you at keeping your composure. This guy definitely sounds like he was 'a taco short of a combination plate.' I agree its best not to escalate such situations, however, by the time the guy confronted you at the gas station....I might have been inclined to 'confront' the person in an unprovocative way (I might have also opted to call the police). You did well...you avoided a potentially serious situation.

A little adrenaline is a good thing but IMO you don't want to be afraid or scared. Most often the aggressor will pick up on this....he gets-off on it....it's like throwing fuel on the fire. Project a positive posture, appear calm and confident...look him directly in the eyes and choose your words carefully...speak calmly but firmly and take a light-hearted approach. Don't let him think that he's intimidating you. Also, totally ignoring people like this will often backfire as well....they want attention.

Ultimately, you want to avoid a physical confrontation if at all possible and exit the situation....just what you did!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:19 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I see a thread like this I always add my quote.

"People do dumb **** when they see a corvette".

The stories I could tell you.

Get notified of new replies

To Crazy people out there!

Old 10-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by shurite44
The stories I could tell you.
We could all put these stories together and write a book
Old 10-20-2006, 01:53 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I commend you at keeping your composure. This guy definitely sounds like he was 'a taco short of a combination plate.' I agree its best not to escalate such situations, however, by the time the guy confronted you at the gas station....I might have been inclined to 'confront' the person in an unprovocative way (I might have also opted to call the police). You did well...you avoided a potentially serious situation.

A little adrenaline is a good thing but IMO you don't want to be afraid or scared. Most often the aggressor will pick up on this....he gets-off on it....it's like throwing fuel on the fire. Project a positive posture, appear calm and confident...look him directly in the eyes and choose your words carefully...speak calmly but firmly and take a light-hearted approach. Don't let him think that he's intimidating you. Also, totally ignoring people like this will often backfire as well....they want attention.

Ultimately, you want to avoid a physical confrontation if at all possible and exit the situation....just what you did!
Seems like a lot of trouble. I tell a$$holes to f4ckoff. Much quicker and probably works better.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
JohnE1000
Instructor

IMHO, this man is starving for attention. Totally ignoring him like that could anger him more. Most people, who modify their car, want to benchmark it against the best.
What is better to benchmark against than an American Icon?
If I were in similar situation, I would have taken look at his engine bay, give him a complement, and tell him that I can't street race because I don't want to put him or anyone else in harm way. However, if you want to race, I can meet you at the track.
However, it is easier said than done...!

Quick Reply: Crazy people out there!