C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short tire life- C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:57 AM
HaroldDE
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short tire life- C6

I have a C6 with 24,000 miles and my Goodyear Eagles have developed "cupping" wear and need to be replaced. What has caused this; is it covered under warranty by GM or tire Mfgr; what is best replacement tire for general purpose driving in the North east. Thanks for your input
Old 10-03-2006, 10:04 AM
brandonpurcell
Heel & Toe

I am at 10K miles with the F1 Supercar tires and they need replaced. From what I have read 24K is not too bad and I do not think they will be covered under warranty. It has been a while since I have been on the forums. I remember a lot of information if you search around. Maybe in the FAQ's as well.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:05 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

24000 miles is pretty good for a performance cars tires. that is not a short life that is good durablity. I take it is the front tires? Check your alignement inflation and balance. I would go with another runflat but that is just me. I don't want the worry of getting a flat with no spare and having to fiddle with road side repair. there are not a lot of runflats availbile check tire rack for alternatives and fitment. For a perforamace tire a lot of people like the micheln pilot sports they are not a runflat and probably will wear out sooner then the goodyears. Realize the vette is a performance car and the comprimises chevy made are for performance not durablity or comfort. remember when the nsx came out? they were luckey to get 10,000 miles out a set of tires.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:32 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,593 Likes on 785 Posts

24K miles on a set of C6 tires is EXCELLENT tire milage. You should have no complaints or remorse with this kind of tire life. (e.g. it is just part of the Corvette experience!)
Old 10-03-2006, 10:40 AM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cupping is generally a result of improper wheel alignment.
Unfortunately, our C6s do not come with correct wheel alignment.

Dealers will correct your wheel alignment under warranty during the first year if you have less than 10,000 miles or something like that, although owners of new C6s should have it done around 1,000 miles.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,052 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by HaroldDE
I have a C6 with 24,000 miles and my Goodyear Eagles have developed "cupping" wear and need to be replaced.
24,000 miles & they're just now showing this "cupping" wear??
You're one lucky guy, that's all I can say.

I had GY high performance prematurely tires wear off several of my cars with never bearely 10,000 miles.
Mind you I do NOT hotrod my cars.

Was so furious last time I called Akron, got a GY Customer Service Rep on the phone & complained.
The babe told me 17,000 on a set of their Double Eagle F1s (what I'd had) was the absolute max that could ever be expected.

Best she'd do is prorate a new set of tires for me based on their tire life estimate.
Which to me meant I'd damned near owe GY $$ above & beyond MSRP.

What has caused this...
If no one gives you a precise awnser just check several online tire suppliers websites. Usually an explaination w/ pics are provided detailing the various types of abnormal tire wear & possible cause(s).

...is it covered under warranty by GM or tire Mfgr...
Tire manufacturer.
Under a specific amount of wear in tread depth the tires would've been replaced.
But at 24,000 miles you're well past that measure, I'm sure.
You'll be fortunate if GY prorats a new set & offers you a discount on a new set, IMO.

...what is best replacement tire for general purpose driving in the North east.
The present generation GY EMT such as the Supercar F1s I have on my C6 are pretty good, at least compared to the optional GY F1 EMTs I had on my 2003 AE.
Time comes I'll be looking at the BF Goodrich, Michelin and Goodyear's D-series EMT as well as consider the Supercar F1s.

You've not a bad choice to choose from for EMTs & pricing spans across the spectrum.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by easyrider13
Cupping is generally a result of improper wheel alignment.
Unfortunately, our C6s do not come with correct wheel alignment.

Dealers will correct your wheel alignment under warranty during the first year if you have less than 10,000 miles or something like that, although owners of new C6s should have it done around 1,000 miles.
I thought 'cupping' was a symptom of a shock going bad. How will alignment troubles 'cup' a tire?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:52 AM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish I got 24K on my first set.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:20 PM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I thought 'cupping' was a symptom of a shock going bad. How will alignment troubles 'cup' a tire?
For older cars, you are correct.

With C6s we can assume (I hope) that the shocks are good and the wheel bearings are tight. Most of us are also pretty nutty about maintaining inflation pressure
With new cars, improper toe setting can cause the same symptom, especially in the rear.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:17 PM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

I get about 10k miles out of a set of tires on just about any performance car I own. Sometimes less if I track it. That's just the cost of owning a sports car, and I hope you aren't shopping for replacements by price.

For those who are, remember that the only thing connecting your Corvette to the ground are four patches of rubber about the size of your hand. Since the Corvette is so high powered and purpose built, it is very sensitive to tires and the friction those patches are able to provide.

And for the record, Corvettes come from the factory with alignments all over the place. Some are perfect and some are horrifically bad. The first thing any new Corvette owner should do is get an alignment. That should be in bold letters at the top of the C6 faq.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:57 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

warranty covers it up to one year or 7000 miles i believe I had mine done within the first 500 miles agree should be posted in the FAQ

Get notified of new replies

To Short tire life- C6

Quick Reply: Short tire life- C6