C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which top do you prefer and why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 08:49 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which top do you prefer and why?

I'm trying to decide between a transparent roof or a matching color roof. I currently have a transparent roof on my C5 and never thought I'd prefer anything other than that. However, as I look at C6 colors (I'm currently caught between getting victory red or lemans blue), I like how the matching roof looks on victory red cars. My wife likes being able to look through the roof of our C5 and thinks I should get the same in my new C6. I drove a vert yesterday to see what I'd think of owning one, but afterwards decided to stick with a coupe. I suppose I could always just buy both tops and then switch them as the "spirit moves me." In any event, those of you with one or the other, or both, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on why you prefer the particular roof you have on your car. I'm also concerned about headroom with a matching color roof. I'm 6' 1" Thanks! Dan
Old 09-30-2006, 09:21 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Transparent. It looks cool and I can see the sky.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For me it has to be cloth.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:28 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Painted top because it looks cool.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:32 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Default Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks guys...this is real helpful!?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:34 AM
R.Montgomery96
Instructor

Default Tops

Purchased mine with only the transparent top. I, like you, really like the way the solid roof looks on a victory red, so I searched and found one and bought it. Aside from the look, I also use the solid top on very hot days to keep more of the heat out of the car.

My wife likes the transparent better so I switch back and forth.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:40 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Originally Posted by R.Montgomery96
Purchased mine with only the transparent top. I, like you, really like the way the solid roof looks on a victory red, so I searched and found one and bought it. Aside from the look, I also use the solid top on very hot days to keep more of the heat out of the car.

My wife likes the transparent better so I switch back and forth.
Thanks! Sounds like we are on the same wave length. Dan
Old 09-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came painted--no problems even though the car is black and does sit in CO sunshine, but I would have liked the trans. Loved the T-tops on my last 2 Trans Ams. However, I'm too cheap to buy one right now...or too poor! NAAH, too cheap!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:44 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, if you buy a 05/06, the painted top comes in 2 pieces then you get to bring it back for the glue fix . I have painted but wish I had transparent. My 82 was clear .
Old 09-30-2006, 09:46 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Whiterock1
Mine came painted--no problems even though the car is black and does sit in CO sunshine, but I would have liked the trans. Loved the T-tops on my last 2 Trans Ams. However, I'm too cheap to buy one right now...or too poor! NAAH, too cheap!
Thanks. My oldest has a mint 2000 black trans am. I love the t-tops on it. He wants a Corvette too, but...!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:49 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Originally Posted by rckt
Well, if you buy a 05/06, the painted top comes in 2 pieces then you get to bring it back for the glue fix . I have painted but wish I had transparent. My 82 was clear .
Too funny! Yeah, I've been reading a lot on this forum about the delam problems. I'm hoping they have the problem fixed. Semper Fi, Dan PS-I was a 2531 (field radio operator) back in the early 70's. Everything I needed to know in life I learned in the Marine Corps. What I wouldn't give for one more day to wear DRESS BLUES! OOHRAH!! Dan
Old 09-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Bone Daddy
Member: Jr Geezer's Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just me but I think the painted completes the look. I like the trans top in the winter but also reminds me of Camero.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:51 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bone Daddy
Just me but I think the painted completes the look. I like the trans top in the winter but also reminds me of Camero.
Sweet looking car! As to winter in Minnesota...guess where my car will be? Dan
Old 09-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Daddy
Cam-a-ro!

TkitPlz, why don't you just get both?

Personally, I like the transparent. In the heat, I used one of those static cling sunshades that deflects most of the radiant heat, but still allows you to see out to some degree. The painted top just made the car (C5) seem so much smaller and darker inside.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:58 AM
ZBoater
Pro

I prefer the transparent top because of the "open air" feeling without the air and noise, and because of the color contrast on a Monterey red. I got the package with both tops and have only used the solid top once. Even in direct sunlight and 97 degree weather, the A/C had no problem keeping the cabin cool.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:00 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Cam-a-ro!

TkitPlz, why don't you just get both?

Personally, I like the transparent. In the heat, I used one of those static cling sunshades that deflects most of the radiant heat, but still allows you to see out to some degree. The painted top just made the car (C5) seem so much smaller and darker inside.
CLEAN: Your comments about "so much smaller and darker inside" are comments similar to what my wife said about a colored roof. I think that ultimately I may have to get both tops. I imagine what will happen when I do so is that one will stay under the bed all the time and never get used and then I'll wonder why I spent the extra money. Oh, well...such is life! Thanks for your reply. Dan
Old 09-30-2006, 10:02 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZBoater
I prefer the transparent top because of the "open air" feeling without the air and noise, and because of the color contrast on a Monterey red. I got the package with both tops and have only used the solid top once. Even in direct sunlight and 97 degree weather, the A/C had no problem keeping the cabin cool.
ZBoater: See my note to CLEAN. Your having only used your solid top once is my fear in getting two tops. When we went to the Black Hills Corvette Classic in July, the temps in South Dakota were in the 115 range. The sun poured through the transparent top, but it wasn't unbearable. And, the clear top was great to have as we drove through the Black Hills. Thanks. Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Which top do you prefer and why?

Old 09-30-2006, 10:46 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,590 Likes on 1,627 Posts

My C5 had the transparent top, the C3's had the painted tops, but I really like the top that folds out of the way...
Old 09-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Living in Arizona, heat and sunshine were considerations for me not to go with a transparent top. From about May through October (even today it's supposed to be 97), it's just too hot for a transparent top (except early morning or evening). In Minnesota, that likely won't be a determining factor....appearance and your preference are what counts.

I'd say buy them both....you can't lose with every option at your disposal.

The good news for me is I can run topless pretty much all winter long
Old 09-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Jeff2
Advanced

Default Dual Roof For Me

I went with the dual roof.

The benefits of each roof are well known. While I will likely use the transparent top during the long rainy season here, I was afraid that it would be difficult to buy a properly color matched painted top down the road.

Have fun.

Quick Reply: Which top do you prefer and why?