C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6/Z06 Reliability Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:35 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, I believe I have a defective one too. The rubber won't stay on the rear tires...
Old 09-23-2006, 05:55 AM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by maxp
your asking for trouble if you agree the C6 has any kind of reliability issues, people on this forum don't like to hear that type of talk
, but the truth must be told. As Corvette owners, we do ourselves no good by hiding issues. The General, and the Corvette team in particular, are sincere about producing the best product they can and work very hard to achieve that. To do that, they need our sincere input on issues / problems. Not reporting problems or prentending they don't exist, so we can make ourselves feel better about spending big $$$ on the car, is not only stupidly self-centered, but it also detracts from their efforts to improve the car.

I am sure there are those that get upset when they see problems publicly reported, because they feel it denigrates the brand and makes us look bad for other car owners. This is silly and myopic. In fact, we have already won the price / quality / value by a landslide, so there is no need to hide stuff and every reason to be proud. Reporting candidly on issues can only result in an even better car later. This is the GE philosphy. The other way, the obfuscating way, is the Enron / Bill Clinton way.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:36 AM
wreck111
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anybody recalls, they also say the Pinto and Vega were very reliable cars when they first can out and gave them excellent! For those of you that don't remember these they were made in the early 70's
Old 09-23-2006, 08:07 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default disco nights!

f anybody recalls, they also say the Pinto and Vega were very reliable cars when they first can out and gave them excellent! For those of you that don't remember these they were made in the early 70's
Hey,don't knock those VEGA'S MAN!!I cruised in one or two of those and an occasional pinto every now and then,way back then!!!Good thing we never got hit in the rearend of the pinto,what with those exploding gas tanks and all!!
Old 09-24-2006, 04:10 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jesse12804
I have to wonder what batch all these vettes came out of with all these issues???Mine is in the last 887 built in 05,and to date-7350 miles and 1 year on the 28th of this month-I've had no dbs,the panels are fine-glass top needed a shim-5 minute fix under warranty-and the car is wonderful and fast and looks good too!!Knock on wood,my baby will stay healthy!!
Ditto.. I have chassis MY 05 # 6525 and have had one problem...some early AC systems were over pressurized by .5 lbs...took to dealer and immediately resolved and that is it...zero problems and love every minute driving and looking at this machine.
Michael
Old 09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Vette junkie
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 55VETTE4EVER
I just read the current Consumer Reports review of the C6/Z06 versus the Porsche, Viper and some of the others. At the end of the report, they listed "reliability" to be very poor. Their words, not mine. Is anyone having any major reliability problems with the cars.
My car is much more reliable than I am! Beware what you read in the mags. Let us not forget that the Renaut Allianace was once voted Motor Trend "Car Of The Year".
Old 09-24-2006, 06:45 PM
archtop
Drifting

Originally Posted by lager99
When you have thousands of roof problems, brake squeeks etc...maybe not a driveability issue but I would guess that is a high volume of owner dissatisfaction.
"Yer not from 'round these parts are ya?
Old 09-24-2006, 07:08 PM
mfinocc
Pro

I'll take my C6 any day of the week over a crappy Porshe Boxter!
Old 09-24-2006, 07:11 PM
07 Lemans Z51 Coupe
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In response to the comment that the Z06 is a "fixed roof".....

You can't ORDER it as a convertible, but if you buy a dark color and park it in the sun, it will BECOME one for you!! I've actually been thinking about how that flying roof could be taken on and off intentionally. I don't need no stinkin' roof liner!!
Old 09-24-2006, 07:13 PM
It'sHerVette!
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Savage C6

No one on here gives a about Consumer Reports.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:32 PM
jsbtheman
Instructor

Originally Posted by mfinocc
I'll take my C6 any day of the week over a crappy Porshe Boxter!

Did you mean Porsche Boxster?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

I just read the current Consumer Reports review of the C6/Z06 versus the Porsche, Viper and some of the others. At the end of the report, they listed "reliability" to be very poor. Their words, not mine. Is anyone having any major reliability problems with the cars.

Actually, it was Consumer Reports that has the poor reliability issues
My Corvette is fun to drive and great bang for the buck
Oh.... BTW, yes I am biased
Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CR does not provide accurate ratings. I think they get their input from Top Gear

The vettes have their issues. CR reports on problems encountered. So if the ash tray needs to be replaced under warranty, it is no different than a blown engine to them. We all know the vettes are reliable.. but they do have minor issues that never seem to be fixed.
CR picks up on this and labels the car a POS.
Even in their break-down of problem areas.. you can see the major areas are all good... but they still give it a crap rating..
CR is useful if you plan on buying a toaster or nose hair remover... not good for performance car reviews
Old 09-24-2006, 11:35 PM
JeffMc
Burning Brakes

I have had 4 C5s and a C6... I have had 2 issues. Gas Gauge on the 99 C5 and a rear diff leak on the 99.

Then again my cars in the last 9 years:

01 Impala: No Issues (40k)
03 Silverado: No Issues (34k)
97 Grand Prix: NO Issues (44k)
01 Grand Prix GTP: NO Issues (32k)
03 BMW 330xi: Water in left head lamp (17k)
06 Mazda 3: No Issues (16k)
Old 09-25-2006, 01:56 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Consumer Reports has been saying this about American cars and the Corvette for the last 30 years. The only American car I know of that it gave a recommendation to was Buick.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Consumer Reports had a good article recently about how reliability goes down when a new generation of a model comes out, then reliabilty goes up each year until they redesign to a new generation of that model again. They found this to be true regardless of who designs and produces it. Common sense tells you this should be true. It should not come as a surprise that C6 owners (if they are honest) report more problems than owners of C5's of later years.
But it should also be pointed out that Consumer Reports is based on reports of individual car owners, AND IS NOT SCIENTIFIC. To be scientific the survey should accurately reflect the population being surveyed. Some people are more likely than others to respond to surveys. People who own high performance cars don't buy them for their reliability and are less likely to be a part of a reliability survey. People who own commuter cars by comparison are more likely to. And even more so the owner of a high performance vehicle who has had a bad experience is more likely to be a part of a reliability survey than an owner of a high performance vehicle who is satisfied with his selection.
I don't doubt that a Corvette is less reliable than a Camry, but then there is far more to go wrong AND the Corvette is more likely to be driven in a manner which would severely test the reliability of any vehicle. We should see reliability of C6 go up with each year, but it will never get high scores from Consumer Reports.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

It took a lot for me to buy another American car. However I could not be happier with the 06 vette. No issues, no trips to the dealer. All is well.

Get notified of new replies

To C6/Z06 Reliability Issues

Old 09-26-2006, 02:01 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HyperX
It took a lot for me to buy another American car. However I could not be happier with the 06 vette. No issues, no trips to the dealer. All is well.
For an American car it is only the Corvette, Mustang V-8 in Shelby form or a luxury car like a Buick Ultra Park Avenue I would get otherwise it is open season.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cadguymark
Consumer Reports had a good article recently about how reliability goes down when a new generation of a model comes out, then reliabilty goes up each year until they redesign to a new generation of that model again. They found this to be true regardless of who designs and produces it. Common sense tells you this should be true. It should not come as a surprise that C6 owners (if they are honest) report more problems than owners of C5's of later years.
But it should also be pointed out that Consumer Reports is based on reports of individual car owners, AND IS NOT SCIENTIFIC. To be scientific the survey should accurately reflect the population being surveyed. Some people are more likely than others to respond to surveys. People who own high performance cars don't buy them for their reliability and are less likely to be a part of a reliability survey. People who own commuter cars by comparison are more likely to. And even more so the owner of a high performance vehicle who has had a bad experience is more likely to be a part of a reliability survey than an owner of a high performance vehicle who is satisfied with his selection.
I don't doubt that a Corvette is less reliable than a Camry, but then there is far more to go wrong AND the Corvette is more likely to be driven in a manner which would severely test the reliability of any vehicle. We should see reliability of C6 go up with each year, but it will never get high scores from Consumer Reports.
But I couldn't live with myself driving a boring bland looking Toyota Camry. I would take the (discontinued) Buick Ultra Park Avenue even that has a super charger or a choice of V-8 in it.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:41 PM
rmp
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I disagree; I think they are legitimate and their surveys are statistically valid and unbiased. They do emphasize practicality and safety in their ratings but they are a good starting point to research a product.

Originally Posted by gearheaddroppings
I loathe Consumer Reports. They should rename that crappy rag "The Guide to Living a Mediocre, Boring Life".

Quick Reply: C6/Z06 Reliability Issues