C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd mod (CAGS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:12 PM
rjward
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd mod (CAGS)

Hey all!

I know I am a much slower modder than most of you but I just recieved my CAGS Eliminator from Southern Car Parts. Pretty fast delievery especially considering the delivery was free! Installation was a piece of cake like everyone here has said in the past. Jacked up the rear, put down a jack stand, rolled under the car(its a little unnerving thinking that it could fall and crush me), unplugged the CAGS (which is conveniently labelled as such) plugged in both pieces of the eliminator, and WAM no more annoying Skip Shift. This morning driving to work was just great. No more forcing me to bog down the engine if Im stuck behind a slow car. Best bang for the buck enjoyment mod out there for anybody that doesnt have it yet. I know that most of you do, but if you have a MN6 get off your butt and get one!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:21 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by rjward
Hey all!

I know I am a much slower modder than most of you but I just recieved my CAGS Eliminator from Southern Car Parts. Pretty fast delievery especially considering the delivery was free! Installation was a piece of cake like everyone here has said in the past. Jacked up the rear, put down a jack stand, rolled under the car(its a little unnerving thinking that it could fall and crush me), unplugged the CAGS (which is conveniently labelled as such) plugged in both pieces of the eliminator, and WAM no more annoying Skip Shift. This morning driving to work was just great. No more forcing me to bog down the engine if Im stuck behind a slow car. Best bang for the buck enjoyment mod out there for anybody that doesnt have it yet. I know that most of you do, but if you have a MN6 get off your butt and get one!
I have been driving with CAGS for over 8 years now and it rarely bothers me. Just stay in 1st a bit longer and it never happens...Just my .02
Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 PM
rmp
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rjward
Hey all!

Wait until your check engine light comes on, then you won't be so happy. That's what happened to a number of us and I had to remove the CAGS eliminator to get rid of it.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:36 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I have been driving with CAGS for over 8 years now and it rarely bothers me. Just stay in 1st a bit longer and it never happens...Just my .02

You must not have much in the way of traffic there in Sterling VA. A little farther up the NE coast here in the greater Philly area there is NO WAY to avoid CAGS making you crazy. It's a cheap, simple solution and even if it's a potential annoyance I don't see any reason NOT to do it. I've had CAGS on since the 2nd day(4+ months ago) and have never seen a CEL. And that's my .02.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:36 PM
rjward
Pro

Originally Posted by rmp
Wait until your check engine light comes on, then you won't be so happy. That's what happened to a number of us and I had to remove the CAGS eliminator to get rid of it.
Well I hope that doesnt happen! How many people have had to remove it?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:37 PM
rjward
Pro

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
You must not have much in the way of traffic there in Sterling VA. A little farther up the NE coast here in the greater Philly area there is NO WAY to avoid CAGS making you crazy. It's a cheap, simple solution and even if it's a potential annoyance I don't see any reason NOT to do it. And that's my .02.
Yeah down here in So. Cal there is a lot of traffic also. It gets damn annoying having it come on. You cant always just push the gas down so it doesnt come on.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:38 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by rmp
Hmmm...I hadn't heard that one before. I've had a CAGS eliminator on my '05 since new and I've had zero problems.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:41 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Hmmm...I hadn't heard that one before. I've had a CAGS eliminator on my '05 since new and I've had zero problems.
I haven't read all of the CAGS problem threads, but I think it mostly comes down to one of 2 things, improper installation or a faulty CAGS. CAGS has been around for ages now and not just in Vettes. If putting in a CAGS eliminator caused CEL's by it's nature then there wouldn't be the market for them that there is. If you're one of those who had CEL problems with a CAGS eliminator I'd contact whoever you bought it from and arrange an exchange. I got mine from Corvettes of Houston and as stated above, no problems at all.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:54 PM
oslinrm
Instructor

Location: In the mountains of VA surrounded by roads that any of you would be envious of!

Originally Posted by johnodrake

After reading multiple threads on the subject, I'm convinced it's just a matter of personal preference. CAGS has never engaged on my car and I don't drive hard.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Old 08-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some have gone bad and caused a CEL. All it is, is a 2.2K Ohm resistor inside a plasic box with the wiring pigtals.

Want something with no connections to fail. Just use a Radio Shack resistor bent into a U-shape, inserted into the female CAGs connector.
Tape it up, zip tie it to the trans tab. You'll never touch it again and only spent fitty cent.
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...adio_shack.htm
Old 08-24-2006, 03:02 PM
stapleking
Intermediate

Default Cags

Fellas,

You don't need a "CAGS Eliminator" plug-in thinggy, or the RadioShack 2.2k ohm resister for you cheapskates. When you take the car to a shop for a "tune" using any of the popular software programs such as LS2EDIT, just tell 'em to toggle the CAGS function off. Presto! No more CAGS. Export 'Vettes don't have it y'know, and Bowling Green certainly doesn't install any additonal hardware or bits on those cars.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:20 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Originally Posted by stapleking
Fellas,

You don't need a "CAGS Eliminator" plug-in thinggy, or the RadioShack 2.2k ohm resister for you cheapskates. When you take the car to a shop for a "tune" using any of the popular software programs such as LS2EDIT, just tell 'em to toggle the CAGS function off. Presto! No more CAGS. Export 'Vettes don't have it y'know, and Bowling Green certainly doesn't install any additonal hardware or bits on those cars.
Thanks for this tip. I'll have the shop turn off CAGS ASAP!

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd mod (CAGS)

Quick Reply: 2nd mod (CAGS)