C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Haunted Ashtray Door Fix - DIY w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, lookit that nasty dust build up on your cupholder cover. Don't you ever clean?

ZAINO ZAINO ZAINO

(Seriously, very good write up, this is exactly what we need more of - simple but thorough fixes for common issues. Good on ya! )

Last edited by TrackNoob; 08-10-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:44 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Are you a model builder also?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:47 PM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Are you a model builder also?
I thought he might be a fellow glue sniffer too when he used the word "flash" in regard to plastic parts.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 PM
nhisfan
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackNoob
Dude, lookit that nasty dust build up on your cupholder cover. Don't you ever clean?
I know I know - and I haven't even Armoralled my wheel wells in a couple of days. But, the Zaino will come out next week before I leave for Carlisle...

And for those that asked - yes, I am a "glue-sniffer" - have been for close to 50 years - yikes!!!

Thanks all for the feedback - Geo
Old 08-10-2006, 11:07 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Great info Thanks for pinpointing the problem and sharing it with all of us using nicely detailed pics. Just this morning I was somewhat annoyed over my self-opening tray...
Old 08-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Great post! Thanks for the info and the PICs. Mine just started popping open today and with the help of this thread I was able to fix the problem. I varied slightly on the repair strategy though. Instead of adding plastic to the tip/edge of the striker, I just filed/cut away on the shaft part of the striker on the door, making the distance from the shaft to the edge of the fingers a little more noticeable (originally, not much there for the latch assembly to bite on to). Now, by giving the striker a little more of an edge the fingers on the latch assembly have just a little more to catch on to. For now, this appears to have solved the problem. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave O
Great post! Thanks for the info and the PICs. Mine just started popping open today and with the help of this thread I was able to fix the problem. I varied slightly on the repair strategy though. Instead of adding plastic to the tip/edge of the striker, I just filed/cut away on the shaft part of the striker on the door, making the distance from the shaft to the edge of the fingers a little more noticeable (originally, not much there for the latch assembly to bite on to). Now, by giving the striker a little more of an edge the fingers on the latch assembly have just a little more to catch on to. For now, this appears to have solved the problem. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Excellent helpful info!!! Thanks!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:50 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 377 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackNoob

ZAINO ZAINO ZAINO

(Seriously, very good write up, this is exactly what we need more of - simple but thorough fixes for common issues. Good on ya! )

Old 08-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Ghost2
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info, mine's doing the same thing. To me, this door assembly is fairly cheesy, not at all in line with the quality of the rest of the car.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:51 AM
lkrassner
Instructor

Default Replacement ashtray

My new 07 that was museum delivered has the ashtray that won't stay closed. As per Gary at the museum, the ashtray needs to be replaced because GM isn't repairing the defective ones. My vette is currently at the dealer to have the ashtray replaced.

Originally Posted by nhisfan
OK - I was bored today and decided to look into this...

Start by popping off the door by sticking a small screwdriver between the door and the side of the compartment and carefully pry it out of the hinge...

After removing the door and studying all of the associated parts, it appears that the culprit is the relationship between the door striker and the latch. The latch is not gripping the striker tight enough to hold it in place.

Door and striker assembly...

Location of the latch assembly...

This is the latch assembly - there is no reason to remove this, I just thought a close-up would give you a better idea of how it works...

The striker on my door had considerable "flash" around the plastic fingers, but even after I removed that it didn't grip tight enough to hold the door in position.

I glued a couple very small pieces of plastic to the striker to build up the points and then filed them down until I got the grip I desired. You can see the built up areas if you look closely at the second picture. The added material is light gray.

I doesn't fit much better, but it does close nice and tight...

And before the critics start with the "why didn't you just take it to the dealer" - my dealer is about 50 miles away - I had some time to kill today and I like to tinker...

Geo
Old 08-23-2006, 12:10 PM
retrorod
Advanced

Thanks for the info, I'm going to pass this along to my 'Vette tech. We have replaced a few of these only to find that the replacement part is no improvement.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:12 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Nice pix . . . .

Old 08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
67Roadster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 08-23-2006, 12:37 PM
V8lust
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Have any more spare time to work on the roof problem?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Mel 2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by V8lust
Have any more spare time to work on the roof problem?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:24 PM
kadramma
Heel & Toe

Default Temporary Fix

While you wait for the dealer repair, or if you do not use the ashtray, just pop out the ashtray and just remove the spring. Pop the ashtray back in. Without the spring pressure, the catch will hold the ashtray closed, without modifying the catch. You can still open the ashtray, just does not pop open, but will go far enough to pull it open. Did the fix in about 30 seconds going down the road. Got pissed hitting a bump and constantly closing the ashtray.

Get notified of new replies

To Haunted Ashtray Door Fix - DIY w/pics

Old 08-23-2006, 11:41 PM
lkrassner
Instructor

Default solution

Originally Posted by kadramma
While you wait for the dealer repair, or if you do not use the ashtray, just pop out the ashtray and just remove the spring. Pop the ashtray back in. Without the spring pressure, the catch will hold the ashtray closed, without modifying the catch. You can still open the ashtray, just does not pop open, but will go far enough to pull it open. Did the fix in about 30 seconds going down the road. Got pissed hitting a bump and constantly closing the ashtray.
if the factory replacement ashtray installed by my dealer doesn't stay shut, i'll try your suggestion.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Oh man...where were you last week? I took my car into the dealer to have some things done and one of them was to fix the ashtray. Of coarse they never fix anything -just replace. So it's on back order. I'm going to try your fix and tell the dealer to keep there defective new ashtray.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

BTW, this should be put in the FAQ's

Quick Reply: Haunted Ashtray Door Fix - DIY w/pics