C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Idiot or Fair Assessment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:40 PM
steil01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about the NSX. I was shocked to see that. I've raced a friend on mine on the track with my Z51 and walked away from him. He's since put a supercharger in it but haven't be able to get back to the track with him because he's blown his engine twice !!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:55 PM
PillRoller
Racer

Originally Posted by steil01
I agree about the NSX. I was shocked to see that. I've raced a friend on mine on the track with my Z51 and walked away from him. He's since put a supercharger in it but haven't be able to get back to the track with him because he's blown his engine twice !!
Ouch! And ouch again!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:05 PM
DFW Rider
Instructor

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
It beat the last gen 996 GT3 around track, not the 997, 997 would whop C6s @$$

It is one of the farest reviews that there is for the Z06, he should exactly what the Z06 was capable of and exactly how it lacked in many areas and you are thinking US, this is UK, things are much smaller and hence the comment about it being track only..

but it is stop on, C6/Z06 is made out of garbage as oppse to the european counter parts, but no one can argue at what it does best..

And people who think he is acting predujice then you have no clue and are one of those poeple who know only so much and accpets as exactly what they know...if you own something, doesnt make it the best in the world..it will have flaws and the flaws were very put there...the show has a hummor to it, so they tend to exaggerate but they arnt far..I feel my c6 is quite clumsy in build quality..compared to my G35 and G35 is down low , when it comes to really high end euro stuff..
Thanks, oh enlightened one. Your superior intellect (not to mention writing skills) is awe inspiring. Thank you, oh most worthy one, for setting the record straight. As you so nobely state, we who do not agree with the host "have no clue". We (feeble minded free thinkers) are forever in your debt. No longer will I "accpets as exactly what they know", but will heed your voice only.

BTW, you may have noticed some of my pet peeves: arrogance, condescension...'nuff said.

Thank you, please drive through.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:45 PM
newyiddy20
Melting Slicks

love the guy,magazine,and show..........he was quite fair and no more critical than articles in American magazines
Old 08-10-2006, 10:01 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by f152tall
Steering wheel on the wrong side??? Maybe he forgot which country invented the automobile in the early 1900s.
Gottlieb Daimler had been tooling around Germany in his automobile since 1888, well before the Johnny-come-lately Yanks finally started cranking out horseless carriages.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:16 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

I believe that the guy wants to be entertaining first and informative second. Imagine the upper $40K C6 not having the same interior quality as an $80K 997. I have only seen thisshow a bout six times, and each time the gut really rips the tested car mercilessly. I remember this guy ripping apart the new Audi S4 which I believe is a decent enough car.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:52 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The guys is missing the point... and that is for 60,000 pounds you have a supercar strapped to your backside.

Besides, he only bagged on creature comforts after he left the track.

Does a tighter interior cost another 100,000 pounds? If so, I'll take a second "Zeto6", and bank the rest with a big smile.

He's full of few pounds of sh*t himself, but that's just good tv!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:58 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'17

Hey He's beating on my car
Old 08-10-2006, 11:00 PM
FasterTraffic
Race Director

Originally Posted by DarthStimpy
they made fun of the back bumper cause it's so flimsy.
The door release off a garage door opener is pretty classy, too.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:01 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'17

I like this one better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9bByWD4Oxs
Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 PM
ED HEISER
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

I think many of you are missing the point of this show. It is British satire much in the vein of Monty Python, but about fast cars instead of the "knights that say "Nit"" whose mission is to chop down the largest tree in the forest with a herring. You are protesting that chopping down any tree with a fish is impossible. Not everybody thinks this type of humour is funny or entertaining, especially at their expense. I find it quite entertaining even though they are bashing the car I love using biased and unfair, not to mention inaccurate conclusions. I find it much funnier than "Mind of Mencia" ethnic bashing "comedy" or it's ilk. Actually their false "expertise" is typical of British self-depreciating comedy. They are poking fun at snooty Europeans. A dead giveaway is referring to us as "The colonies" since we kicked their butts royally (pun intended) to gain our freedom.
Anyone can see that the Corvette is the best bang for the buck, and few Europeans drive 100 to 200 thousand dollar cars. You have to be a rock star or a prince over there to live like millions of Americans do here.
Oh, and they did mention that it is fast, like ten times. Fun videos to watch, the track runs would make better commercials than GM makes.
BTW, I think I could drive the base car better than their guy, maybe he was watching the "G" meter
Old 08-10-2006, 11:20 PM
leeman
Racer

The host has always been down on Vettes. My opinion is that he is prejudice against all things American. I saw the show on the standard C6 and he would not admit at any time that the standard Vette was right up there with Porshe 911 and lotus Elise, the standard C6 actually beat the 911 and the Lotus on that same track.The young guy with the spiked hair likes the Vette and has always argued for the car. I think its obvious to the US audience that the Vette is not getting a fair shake in Europe no matter how good it gets.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ED HEISER
I think many of you are missing the point of this show. It is British satire much in the vein of Monty Python, but about fast cars instead of the "knights that say "Nit"" whose mission is to chop down the largest tree in the forest with a herring. You are protesting that chopping down any tree with a fish is impossible. Not everybody thinks this type of humour is funny or entertaining, especially at their expense. I find it quite entertaining even though they are bashing the car I love using biased and unfair, not to mention inaccurate conclusions. I find it much funnier than "Mind of Mencia" ethnic bashing "comedy" or it's ilk. Actually their false "expertise" is typical of British self-depreciating comedy. They are poking fun at snooty Europeans. A dead giveaway is referring to us as "The colonies" since we kicked their butts royally (pun intended) to gain our freedom.
Anyone can see that the Corvette is the best bang for the buck, and few Europeans drive 100 to 200 thousand dollar cars. You have to be a rock star or a prince over there to live like millions of Americans do here.
Oh, and they did mention that it is fast, like ten times. Fun videos to watch, the track runs would make better commercials than GM makes.
BTW, I think I could drive the base car better than their guy, maybe he was watching the "G" meter
Best take yet, thanks!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:34 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vettejoel
Thanks for that video, awesome fun!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:42 PM
falco84
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C6Jeff
Hah! Only goes to show how on the mark he is about American cars!
He did buy it back from them after he returned it, they fixed the issue.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:08 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure why anyone is bashing the Brits, as they really came through for us in spades over the past couple of days in adverting potential catastrophic airline disasters.

This show is classic British humor . . . you either like it, or get it . . . or you don't.

Actually, I think many of his C6/ZO6 quality comments are spot on. Tomorrow, I have the opportunity to buy a black on black ZO6 that was promised to me by a local dealer (was delivered late this afternoon). And still, it's a coin toss on what I'll decide to do.

I've spent considerable time this week looking closely at 3 different C6 ZO6s. I'm either trying to talk myself into the car, or whatever, but I am even starting to settle with the design. But, I'm having a real hard time with the quality issues.

I really don't see how anyone says the interior quality is better than the C5, as in some instances, it looks cheaper (if possible). And IMHO, the exterior quality/finish of the C6/ZO6 is not close to the C5.

I really like the power and handling of the C6 ZO6, but, I'm having a hard time trying to decide whether I can enjoy/live with the cost cutting quality for any length of time . . . paticularly when you factor in a $30,000 price difference of each when new. I've had my C5 since purchasing it new in '01.

Not sure what to do, but, a nice problem to have I guess.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:38 AM
Chupacabra
Instructor

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I own an XJ8 and it's a great car. I have had no trouble with it. Prior to 1998 they were a PIA but they are all Ford now and that has made a big difference. I just returned from a trip and averaged 24 MPG. That's not bad for a 4,000 pound car.
Didn't mean to slam your car, sorry! At the risk of sounding like a sycophantic backtracker, I must admit the XJ8 is a nice car. I've just never been terribly excited by the Jags I've had contact with. Now, Lotus on the other hand...woo hoo!

English humor or not, if he equates my car to a boy band member again, I'll hunt him down and make him listen to 98 degrees. Over and over. He's free to say, "Hey, the car sucks" but don't be cruel and unusual!

I doubt that anyone here is under the impression that the Vette is the finest or the only sportscar in the world. No one likes having their wheels dogged. Unless, of course, your ride happens to be a vexing POS. Obviously, I stabbed at Jaguar and got a response form someone who loves theirs. It's just the way of the schoolyard.

Get notified of new replies

To An Idiot or Fair Assessment?

Old 08-11-2006, 01:55 AM
blkvc6
Instructor

Default Brits

Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Didn't mean to slam your car, sorry! At the risk of sounding like a sycophantic backtracker, I must admit the XJ8 is a nice car. I've just never been terribly excited by the Jags I've had contact with. Now, Lotus on the other hand...woo hoo!

English humor or not, if he equates my car to a boy band member again, I'll hunt him down and make him listen to 98 degrees. Over and over. He's free to say, "Hey, the car sucks" but don't be cruel and unusual!

I doubt that anyone here is under the impression that the Vette is the finest or the only sportscar in the world. No one likes having their wheels dogged. Unless, of course, your ride happens to be a vexing POS. Obviously, I stabbed at Jaguar and got a response form someone who loves theirs. It's just the way of the schoolyard.
English humor has never been " my cup of tea" and the only reason i used to watch that Benny guy was for the T&A!! Hard to get insulted from any country like likes to drink beer that is as warm as it leaves your body as it is when you put it in!! IMO
Old 08-11-2006, 02:05 AM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

" I really don't see how anyone says the interior quality is better than the C5, as in some instances, it looks cheaper (if possible). And IMHO, the exterior quality/finish of the C6/ZO6 is not close to the C5. "

I'd say you must be in the minority on this stance. I went to buy a C5 about 2 years ago, and was so disappointed in the fit/finish, especially the interior, that I walked away and bought another truck, waiting for the day the corvette was something more than motor. The C6 answered that in spades. I mean come on, the delco radio in the C5 was the same radio my 1994 pickup truck had.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:16 AM
Volker
Instructor

Originally Posted by fullcontrol
Check out this rather long but entertaining video on how Europe feels about the latest Corvette and Z06 models.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/...z06/#more-2715

or skip the article and go directly to the video

http://www.youtube.com/v/sp6VQpG8CRE

So, what'd you think?

how Europe feels about the latest Corvette and Z06 models.

WRONG!!!

It is not how Europe feels about Vettes, it`s how a single british Idiot
feels about it!!!

Quick Reply: An Idiot or Fair Assessment?