C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question what is correct cross reference for PF 48 oil filter , for 2007 C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:21 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Question what is correct cross reference for PF 48 oil filter , for 2007 C6

I bought four Moble one oil filters a few weeks ago , on sale ...before my 07 was delivered.......owners manual says use PF 48 , the Nappa guy gave me the PF46 cross ref....his Nappa BOOK off ..when I go to exchange ... what is Moble one part number for the PF48 ...Dont want to use Nappa guys cross reference Thanks, The Dog....

Last edited by StrayDog; 07-31-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:33 PM
AFTERBURN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PF48 filter has the oil filter bypass valve built into the filter. For 07 they removed the bypass valve from the Oil Pan and installed into the filter. Also, the PF48 filter has a 22mm thread.

The PF46 does not have the filter bypass valve incorporated into the filter. Also, the thread size is 13/16.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:43 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AFTERBURN
The PF48 filter has the oil filter bypass valve built into the filter. For 07 they removed the bypass valve from the Oil Pan and installed into the filter. Also, the PF48 filter has a 22mm thread.

The PF46 does not have the filter bypass valve incorporated into the filter. Also, the thread size is 13/16.
Afterburn, Understood.............That my 07 uses PF48 , I need Moble one oil filter part number /Cross ref for PF48.... Local NAPPA guy in the dark.. he gave me incorrect Moble One oil filter need to exchange ...
Old 07-31-2006, 03:47 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AFTERBURN

Whoa Mamma...I foresee troubles for naive 2007 owners that go to Lube N' Go, et al. Things are going to get messed up right here! You would think a different thread would dissuade them from using the wrong filter, but never underestimate the resourcefulness of a lube monkey.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:22 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

jmpnjackflsh........I have been changing my own oil since 1964, & doing all mechanical work on my 66 BB, my question was simple enough , the 07 C6 Takes a PF48 ..... & I am looking for mobleone oil filter part number.........someone must have a cross referance chart, surprising Moble one dosnt seem to have the correct filter........... woof

Last edited by StrayDog; 07-31-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:29 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06

If the 2007 C6 manual calls for the PF48, then GM is using the 2006 and up Z06 fiilter for the regular C6s and that means that the threading is different from the 2005 and 2006 C6s.

When we do oil changes on the 97-04 C5/Z06 and the 2005/2006 C6, we use the same UPF44 Ultraguard Gold oil filter. When we do oil changes on the 2006 Z06, we use the AC Delco PF48 so it looks like we may have to stock a lot more of the PF48s for the 2006 C6 Z06 as well as the 2007 C6s.

Shawn
Old 07-31-2006, 04:44 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This is going to become interesting.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StrayDog
jmpnjackflsh........I have been changing my own oil since 1964, & doing all mechanical work on my 66 BB, my question was simple enough whithout getting into , the 07 C6 Takes a PF48 ..... & I am looking for mobleone oil filter part number.........someone must have a cross referance chart...........
Dawg, I think you misunderstood my post...It was not directed at you in the least.

I was talking about all the people that DON'T change their own oil, and take it to these lube places. This filter change on 2007 LS2s is going to be a problem for those owners, I guarantee it...trust me, a pimply-faced high school dropout can dam well cross thread a PF46 (no bypass valve) onto an engine with no bypass valve (2007 C6). If the engine survives the probable leaking filter, it has NO BYPASS valve if needed.

Sorry, I don't know the Mobil One filter number...it's possible they don't make it yet. I suggest you research AC Delco PF48 on the internet...I did after your first post on the PF48, and several vendors have cross reference charts. I use AC Delco (UPF44) in my 2006...if they're good enough for the General to warrantee, they're good enough for me.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone know WHY the oil bypass system was altered for 2007? Just a matter of GM saving money, or a mechanical "improvement"...? Would be interesting to know. They don't change design just for the heck of it, there's got to be a good reason, whether good for them or good for us... or both.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:38 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=JmpnJckFlsh]Dawg, I think you misunderstood my post...It was not directed at you in the least.

I was talking about all the people that DON'T change their own oil, and take it to these lube places. This filter change on 2007 LS2s is going to be a problem for those owners, I guarantee it...trust me, a pimply-faced high school dropout can dam well cross thread a PF46 (no bypass valve) onto an engine with no bypass valve (2007 C6). If the engine survives the probable leaking filter, it has NO BYPASS valve if needed.

ry, I don't know the Mobil One filter number...it's possible they don't make it yet. I suggest you research AC Delco PF48 on the internet...I did after your first post on the PF48, and several vendors have cross reference charts. I use AC Delco (UPF44) in my 2006...if they're good enough for the General to warrantee, they're good enough for me.

StrayDogs .....Reply >> Sorry, & no offense taken just frustrated over the suituation...AutoZone had a Moble one synthetic oil sale & included a free Moble one filter (suposedly $ 10.99), anyways 5 qt & filter for 19 bucks... so I asked the autozone guy , what filter for an 07 & he gave me four of the wrong ones..... also bought 20 qts oil ...... so going to have to use the moble one filters so will exchanned them for filters for wifes car & my S10..Then go with AC delco PF 48..filters >> However i always thiught Noble one filters were top quality...........I am surprised they dont seem to have a PF 48 cross reference......or filter . ..The Dog ..... Woof

Last edited by StrayDog; 08-01-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:44 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
Whoa Mamma...I foresee troubles for naive 2007 owners that go to Lube N' Go, et al. Things are going to get messed up right here! You would think a different thread would dissuade them from using the wrong filter, but never underestimate the resourcefulness of a lube monkey.
Best to provide your own oil filter when you visit you local lube and tune.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:54 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

...However i always thiught (Mobil) one filters were top quality...I am surprised they dont seem to have a PF 48 cross reference...or filter...
I looked on the internet for you, and my conclusion is no one is marketing an equivalent to AC Delco's PF48 yet...K&N doesn't, Wix doesn't.

The number for Mobil One's Oil Filter Hotline is (1-800-882-0890). Call them up and see what they say. I have the feeling guys with C6 Z06s and 2007 LS2s are going to be using AC Delco's PF48 for a little while until the competition catches up.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:23 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

OK, here is some more manufacturer contact numbers courtesy of Filter Guy over on BOBISTHEOILGUY.com filter forum. Knock yourself out, and let us know what you find out on PF48 equivalents:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=6;t=002485

Edit: BTW, for any filter number they tell you, make them confirm the thread size...it HAS to be 22mm, not 13/16-16. No point in being fooled twice.

Last edited by JmpnJckFlsh; 07-31-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:12 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Default More Information Than You Ever Wanted to Know...

Dawg, here is another interesting thread from BOBISTHEOILGUY.com filter forum revealing the manufacturers who actually make the different filter brands.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=6;t=002456

Note that Mobil One filters are made by Champion Labs, as are K&N, Valvoline, Lee, Auto Zone, and some AC Delco...Specs for the different brands may be different.

A visit to Champion's site shows an equivalent number (PH48) available for AC Delco's PF48, but no specs are available. That tells me there IS NO Mobil One or Champion equivalent filter available yet...maybe in progress.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:29 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Dawg, here is another interesting thread from BOBISTHEOILGUY.com filter forum revealing the manufacturers who actually make the different filter brands.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=6;t=002456

Note that Mobil One filters are made by Champion Labs, as are K&N, Valvoline, Lee, Auto Zone, and some AC Delco...Specs for the different brands may be different.

A visit to Champion's site shows an equivalent number (PH48) available for AC Delco's PF48, but no specs are available. That tells me there IS NO Mobil One or Champion equivalent filter available yet...maybe in progress.
Thanks for info, will exchange the Mobleone filters I already have for My Chevy S10 filters & pick up a few PH48 AC..
Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Thanks for info, will exchange the Mobleone filters I already have for My Chevy S10 filters & pick up a few PH48 AC..
For the AC Delco filter, look for PF48...PH48 is the number for Champion filter that doesn't exist yet. If PepBoys and other auto supply stores don't have it, then dealer parts departments probably will...look for it to cost you more at the dealers.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:30 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

For the AC Delco filter, look for PF48...PH48 is the number for Champion filter that doesn't exist yet. If PepBoys and other auto supply stores don't have it, then dealer parts departments probably will...look for it to cost you more at the dealers.
Thanks ...... will go to AutoZone today for PF48, woof

Get notified of new replies

To Question what is correct cross reference for PF 48 oil filter , for 2007 C6

Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

If the PF 48 was unique to the 2006 Z06 then there may not be another filter made that's the equivalent because of the limited application. (6,000 Z06's) Now that all Corvettes will use the PF 48, other manufactures will join in and have a filter available.

For now, get a few PF 48's as they are not a filter found in most locations and you don't want to be looking for one when you're ready to change the oil.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,194 Posts

I just sent an email to my cousin, who is one of the engine test engineer's at the St.Catharine's plant that assembles the LS2. So I'll see if I can find out why they decided to remove the bypass valve from the block.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 PM
AFTERBURN
Racer

Originally Posted by Vet
Anyone know WHY the oil bypass system was altered for 2007? Just a matter of GM saving money, or a mechanical "improvement"...? Would be interesting to know. They don't change design just for the heck of it, there's got to be a good reason, whether good for them or good for us... or both.
I will attempt to be anyone.
There are several business and technical reasons for relocating the Filter By-Pass Valve from the engine to the filter. This is a corporate and industry initiative. Listed below are just a few of those reasons:

Technical
1. The by-pass valve resides in the block/adapter/pan depending on variant. The valve sits in the bowl that flows oil to the filter and back through the connector. The bowl contains the sealing flange for the filter. Inspect that bowl carefully all variants and you will see that the sealing land has been comprimised by the possitioning of the valve allowing for the sharp edge transition to occasionaly cut the filter seal causing a filter seal leak.

Fianancial Cause
1. The by-pass valves are manufactured by Delphi (determined non strategic business). Also, strategic planning to protect against potential product shortages such as work stoppage, ie., strike or business closure.
2. Eliminated machining operations on block/adapter/pan. Improved cycle time.
3. ALL Delphi/Delco other than non strategic filters have been sourced to Champ Labs. Due to resourcing negotiated cost of implimenting the by-pass into the filter is minimal.

Also, so I have been told those Engineers at GM have tested with the cooperation of the Lube Change Jobber Industry the opprotunity to cross thread 22mm vs 13/16. Very Difficult. But, I believe anyone who tries hard enough can cross thread. I have been told those engineers can't design to protect the 99th percentile (every idiot).

Finally the PF48 is a Champ Lab filter with AC Delco/Delphi markings.

But, these comments are just my opinion and what do I know.

Quick Reply: Question what is correct cross reference for PF 48 oil filter , for 2007 C6