C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change not at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:33 PM
NSolano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change not at dealership

I just picked up my car from the Goodyear Gemini is the area. I did not take it to the dealership because it was a little far for me and I really needed it done before a lil trip I am taking tomorrow.
The only thing that bothers me is that when I checked the oil life, it is still at 50%, are they supposed to reset it or does it reset automatically. Is this oil sensor even accurate?? maybe they did not change the oil since they did have to stay after hours to get my car and another done. I am just wondering what you guys' take is so that I can go back there tomorrow and yell at them or something.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

No, it does not reset automatically. You can do it. While displaying the % Oil Life Remaining, press and hold the RESET button on the bottom of the row of buttons.

You should be able to look at the oil and tell whether or not they changed it. Just pull out the dipstick and look at it.

The oil sensor is accurate. Use it. Most here do.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:37 PM
NSolano
Instructor

yeah I'll do that tomorrow because I think its a lil too dark outside and garage is full of all this junk. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:41 PM
PillRoller
Racer

Originally Posted by JimTN
No, it does not reset automatically. You can do it. While displaying the % Oil Life Remaining, press and hold the RESET button on the bottom of the row of buttons.

You should be able to look at the oil and tell whether or not they changed it. Just pull out the dipstick and look at it.

The oil sensor is accurate. Use it. Most here do.
I know it's in the manual, but before I forget about it, at what percent is it suggested to change the oil? Thanks!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:45 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I think the oil life is based on the number of RPM's that are counted between resets. Not 100% sure, but I think I read that somewhere.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I'm not sure I've heard very many say. Although my 06 is a DD, I'll probably only put about 8K miles a year on it. According to what I've seen from my current % left, I should get about 10K-12K on an oil change. So I'll probably go with the once a year oil change, which will be about 25%-30% oil life left on mine.

I think the oil life is based on the number of RPM's that are counted between resets. Not 100% sure, but I think I read that somewhere.
2006 Owner's Manual, page 5-23.
Your vehicle has a computer that lets you know when to
change your engine oil and filter. This is based on
engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on
mileage.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 07-27-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:30 PM
67C2NY
Heel & Toe

Just had the oil changed @ local Chevy dealer. We were @ 18% oil life according to DIC and had 9700 miles racked up since January purchase. On-Star even e-mailed a special notification when we hit 19
% mark. Our mileage included 2-3200 mile round trips to Florida in March and April. Dealer reset oil life monitor @ 99% (I don't think it can reset @ 100%). Oil (Mobil 1) and filter (AC-Delco) plus labor and tax came out to $64.00.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

the guys at Goodyear didn't understand that you have to reset the oil life monitor yourself. When you display the oil life, press "RESET", but you'll have to hold it in for more than 3 seconds for it to work.

holy crap - $64 for an oil change? gotta seriously recommend that you do it yourself if you can get your hand on a good quality jack and stands. I just can't bring myself to pay that kind of money for such a simple task. And the FUMOTO engine oil drain valve makes this completely mess-free and easier than ever.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:06 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Just changed my own oil tonight. 8,600 miles with 26% oil life remaining. AC Delco filter was $6.00 and 5qt. jugs of Mobil 1 were 21.99 at Wal-Mart. I enjoyed doing it myself.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:06 AM
mzjdave
Advanced

I bought my C6 from Marone Chevrolet and they included the first 10 oil changes in the deal.......... Something to think about..
Old 07-28-2006, 09:22 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

For me it's not about the cost of having a dealership change my oil. I know when I do it, it's done right! My car also doesn't come back with to much/little oil. It can't get damaged from improper lifting which more than a few members have experienced. It's easy and fast to change your own oil so give it a try. Lots of good threads on how to do it properly. You also get to inspect for leaking seals etc under your car.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:05 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
For me it's not about the cost of having a dealership change my oil. I know when I do it, it's done right! My car also doesn't come back with to much/little oil. It can't get damaged from improper lifting which more than a few members have experienced. It's easy and fast to change your own oil so give it a try. Lots of good threads on how to do it properly. You also get to inspect for leaking seals etc under your car.

Amen to that, buddy! That's why I try to everything myself , within my ability. No one else will ever take the time and care that you would. And you forgot to mention all the new scratches across the trunk and hood area from the tech's clothes, belts, buttons.... because they didn't properly protect the paint.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Zuntov
Drifting

Originally Posted by cthusker

Been changing my own oil on my vehicles myself for 30 years now.
Also a good way to familiarize yourself with what's going on with your vehicle when you get a birds-eye view from underneath, etc.
Do your air filter replacement, grease zerks, fluids, etc.
Noone to blame but yourself if you scratch it up though!
Old 07-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beaversstonehaven
Just changed my own oil tonight. 8,600 miles with 26% oil life remaining. AC Delco filter was $6.00 and 5qt. jugs of Mobil 1 were 21.99 at Wal-Mart. I enjoyed doing it myself.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:43 AM
wreck111
Instructor

How about $79.00 and they did me a favor. 7QT C6 Z55. I told them it was 1 and 1/2 qts to high. They said we always put that in....OH BOY. They did drain it back out though after I drove home 20 miles
Old 07-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 67C2NY
Dealer reset oil life monitor @ 99% (I don't think it can reset @ 100%). Oil (Mobil 1) and filter (AC-Delco) plus labor and tax came out to $64.00.
If you reset with the engine running it goes to 99% with the engine off it will go to 100%.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:36 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Bugman and I are among the few that like the Fumoto oil drain valve.

It was during an oil change on my daily rice-burner that I noticed a tear in a CV joint boot, and got everything fixed before any damage was done. Under-car inspection is beneficial, and you get to re-read the names of the guys that did your prep at the National Corvette Museum .

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Change not at dealership

Old 07-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Jim_H
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clevitekid
Bugman and I are among the few that like the Fumoto oil drain valve.
I'm not familiar with the Fumoto brand name, but looking at a picture from a search, they look like the drains I have used in the past. Using them I found that all the oil did not drain out (maybe a half a quart still in the pan), that concerned me since any crud settled on the bottom of the pan couldn't get out. They also drained a little slower. But I have to agree, they were really easy with less mess, especially the ones that have a nipple to attach a hose.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Audioi
Instructor

Do you think there would be a issue with warranty if you change your own?
I'm with him. I dont trust the dealers low paid chevy help.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:08 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Audioi
Do you think there would be a issue with warranty if you change your own?
I'm with him. I dont trust the dealers low paid chevy help.
There is no issue with doing your own oil changes... NADA. I also write it down in my service book so my car has a complete record what's been done since day 1.

Quick Reply: Oil Change not at dealership