C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on MY new roof

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 03:45 PM
JHIRSCH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on MY new roof

Went to the dealer today to pick up my "newly designed" roof. I also brought the old frame with me. For the record, I was not going to turn over the old frame (just in case something should arise).

When I arrived at the dealership, to my pleasure there was a roof waiting for me minus the weather stripping, front latches, rear latches, and headliner. I explained that the roof flew off and that the old headliner was not to be found. At that point, they claimed they actually did have the headliner but not the other parts. The SM asked for the old frame to swap out the parts. I complied because I just wanted to get this ordeal over with the exception being the weather stripping. No way was I going to have re-glued stripping adhered to a new roof (I can see problems in the future). He stated it would take only a day to get new. I was fine with that.

Now the story gets interesting! Making small talk while they removed the old parts off the frame I asked several time if this was the "newly designed" roof because as we all know from the forum they are not ready yet. The SM went into a long story how indeed it is the redesigned roof and was just built this week.

At this point, my beautiful 39 ½ week pregnant wife pulled me over to the new panel to show me a label adhered to the inside of the roof (it would be covered with the headliner). The label read the date 06-07-06. Before I brought the issue to the SM's attention, I grabbed my digital camera and took two nice shots of the label.

When I mentioned this, he told me to disregard that as unimportant. I was going to make a stink but it's been several weeks since I have had a roof that I just wanted to get home and tend to my wife's needs. I must give credit where credit is due. The SM was extremely nice to work with on this day.

What do you think? Am I looking into things too much? I cannot help but be skeptical with GM.

I have pictures from start to finish ranging from slightly delaminated to completely off. Oh yes, the 06-07-06 label as well. I would like to post them but unfortunately I am somewhat computer illiterate.

Sorry for the long post but it my duty as a member to pass this along.

P.S. I love my Vette!

Last edited by JHIRSCH; 07-20-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:38 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm sure GM will tell you it's a good roof and don't worry. I have asked customer service if GM will take care of us after the warranty expires and these old design roofs are a problem and they will not give me an answer. They tell me that the roof will not fly off and they have no record of any flying off. Does that give you a good feeling? I am worried that GM will fix some roof's and not replace them with the new design or like you give you an old design new roof and wash their hands of the problem after 3 years or 36000 miles.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:41 PM
C6WannaBe
Racer

Originally Posted by JHIRSCH
Oh yes, the 06-07-06 label as well.
Possible explination: Canadian date system sometimes goes DAY/MONTH/YEAR not Month day year like us. If the roof if made there, that would explain it.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:51 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JHIRSCH
[snip]
For the record, I was not going to turn over the old frame

a roof waiting for me minus the weather stripping, front latches, rear latches, and headliner.

SM asked for the old frame to swap out the parts.

The SM went into a long story how indeed it is the redesigned roof and was just built this week.

The label read the date 06-07-06.

I grabbed my digital camera and took two nice shots of the label.

I have pictures from start to finish ranging from slightly delaminated to completely off. Oh yes, the 06-07-06 label as well. I would like to post them but unfortunately I am somewhat computer illiterate.
1. You are the same guy that claimed:
GM Claim on a rental is that they will NOT pick up the tab since the roof is a removable part anyway and doesn't hinder the drivability of the vehicle.
I told you that policy was and not per the TSB when you first said it. So did they give you a rental?

2. What are you doing in possession of the 'old frame'? No way I see that the dealer is not grabbing that when you brought the car in. Makes no sense.

3. You claim they are locally building your roof from parts? This is NOT the method described in any service instruction. Yet another thing that makes no sense.

You say you took digital pics; please post some of 'em so we can help you figure out what the date label means, how the bonding looks, if they exchanged your latches correctly ( ) , etc.

This is a very strange tale.

Since you have the car now, you can also take more photos.

EASY EASY EASY to post them:

a) Navigate to: http://tinypic.com/

b) Select "browse" button, and move mouse to where you pics are

c) Hit upload button

d) Use <ctrl> C to grab the middle link

e) Use <ctrl> V to paste the link into your CF post.

Could not be easier

Old 07-20-2006, 07:13 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since GM and the supplier claims that they really don't know exactly why the earlier roofs are failing, I wonder how they know they've fixed the undefined problem in the newer roofs. Sounds like the government.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:33 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Gm has stated in last public correspondence that the new SMC roofs will not be available prior to August or September 2006. So considering the date on panel, and their release above, you likely got the original Lexan replacement. Hopefully they at least did the foam injection (see receipt, must be billed seperately) to buy you some time.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 07-20-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:45 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Trust me, just like I said in previous posts, there will be a class action suit over this.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:26 PM
rambo
Racer

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Gm has stated in last public correspondence that the new SMC roofs will not be available prior to August or September 2006. So considering the date on panel, and their release above, you likely got the original Lexan replacement. Hopefully they at least did the foam injection (see receipt, must be billed seperately) to buy you some time.
But don't you think they're using the new SMC roofs on the 2007s they're producing? Surely they aren't using the old style roof. SMCs may not be available as replacements until Aug/Sep but I'd put money on it that GM is using them on the new Vettes coming off the line now.

rambo
Old 07-20-2006, 08:32 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rambo
But don't you think they're using the new SMC roofs on the 2007s they're producing? Surely they aren't using the old style roof. SMCs may not be available as replacements until Aug/Sep but I'd put money on it that GM is using them on the new Vettes coming off the line now.

rambo
I wouldn't be so sure. Have you seen anything stating which top is being used?

Last edited by VET4LES; 07-20-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I wouldn't be sure. Have you seen anything stating which top is being used?
I was told during my plant tour on Tuesday, that they were using the new top. Don't know how reliable that was.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:06 PM
branmin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fwiw......received a call today, saying that my new roof is ready Monday. They will paint it and I have to bring the Vette in for 4 hours or so. I mentioned all the problems and this could just be a temp fix and this woman said that they have the new FOAM roof in??
So......why therefore do I have to bring the car in..it would appear that they are using several parts...from the old roof. I would have thought that if this was a new roof...you didn't need any old parts. Comments?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Lexan is the clear roof, this topic relates to the painted one. And you surely don't want an injected roof, as those are well known to fail as well. Supposedly the last '06's and now the '07's have the new roof.
New roofs for the masses will be available Aug or Sept...
Old 07-20-2006, 09:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

rambo
I would have thought so, but their correspondence seems to state very clearly that repair orders will be filled first once roof is available. Originally there was a "hold" on coupe production the first week, and I was sure it was the case. Not so now ...

If anyone got or is getting the foam inserted in the roof, then it is very likely the old roof panel (part: 10381648 or 19120484 - one is headliner). I have had 4 roofs to date ... two with foam. Florida's heat destroys them quickly and car has been out of service, without rental, for over 100 days total. Seems Vette and daily driver are not something GM see's as valid.

GM customer assistance, and even the twit Marci Wilcox assigned to the case, feels that we should lighten up and allow time for vendor to resolve issue thru multiple warranty repairs. She offered to close my case as "dissatisfied" and move on. No apologies, no consideration ...

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Lexan is the clear roof, this topic relates to the painted one. And you surely don't want an injected roof, as those are well known to fail as well. Supposedly the last '06's and now the '07's have the new roof.
The original roof (painted) was a polycarbonate or painted lexan type material. The new roof will be created of SMC. I seriously doubt to date "anyone" has the new panel. By the time design, manufacturing, and shipping is made it would be more along the time lines given by GM. Remember GM was forced into the recall by NHTSA only in May of this year. Prior to that is was simply a customer satisfaction bulletin.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 07-20-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:42 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Just an FYI for anyone confused:

1) The painted top is made of polycarbonate. The polycarbonate on the painted roof is very thin.

2) Lexan (r) is tradename for clear polycarbonate. The clear polycarbonate seems very thick on the C6 roof, relative to the painted version.

3) The new roof panel will be Sheet Molded Compound (SMC) which is similar to fiberglass.

4) All of them mount on the same Thixomolded (r) magenesium frame.

Hope that helps anyone who may be confused.

Last edited by TrackNoob; 07-20-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:07 AM
JHIRSCH
Instructor

Originally Posted by branmin
fwiw......received a call today, saying that my new roof is ready Monday. They will paint it and I have to bring the Vette in for 4 hours or so. I mentioned all the problems and this could just be a temp fix and this woman said that they have the new FOAM roof in??
So......why therefore do I have to bring the car in..it would appear that they are using several parts...from the old roof. I would have thought that if this was a new roof...you didn't need any old parts. Comments?
Exactly!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:56 AM
DavesC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I was told during my plant tour on Tuesday, that they were using the new top. Don't know how reliable that was.
You don't really think they would tell you the old tops are being used, do you? I don't trust them any farther than I could throw them.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesC5
You don't really think they would tell you the old tops are being used, do you? I don't trust them any farther than I could throw them.
You must mean:

'I don't trust them any farther than they blow off!'
Old 07-21-2006, 03:35 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rambo

They are using whatever roofs they have to get the units out the door and on the trucks. They certainbly won't shut down the line wating for the"fix," and there aren't enough clear roofs to go around.

Last edited by catbert; 07-22-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Update on MY new roof

Quick Reply: Update on MY new roof