C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping my engine after warranty replacement

Old 02-15-2015, 02:36 AM
apex97
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Keeping my engine after warranty replacement

Has anyone been successful in retaining the original engine for their cars after a GM warranty replacement? My car wiped out its camshaft at 10,000 miles and is at the dealer having a GM replacement engine installed. They tell me that GM normally wants the engine back for analysis, but that there is a slim chance I can buy the core for $2,000.
My car is a 2013 C6 Z06/Z07 which is one of only 83 cars produced and I think I am rightfully concerned that no longer having a numbers matching engine will have a disproportionately large effect on its sale to anyone concerned with future values. These cars are not Malibus or HHRs and I want to at least be able to offer the original broken engine along with the car.
Any suggestions on the right people to talk to?
Old 02-15-2015, 07:35 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I would doubt it. Yes, your Z07/PDE optioned car is not "standard" but 83 of the 471 Z06's built that year had it. That's 18%. Not all that rare. If you want a rare 2013 how about the only one ordered with a custom VIN? Of if the factory color was blue. There were only 3 of those built.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 AM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah if they let you you'd most likely be paying the core charge. But with a warranty claim they might want it back and see what happened. I wouldn't worry about numbers matching. At least I personally wouldn't.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:26 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I doubt it too. they provided you with an engine when you purchased the car. The replacement engine is now the one you have. Why would they let you have essentially two engines. I can understand them wanting it back.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,795 Likes on 1,956 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Document all the work being done and why it was done. Not your fault and it would not bother me that it had a new engine put in because of warranty if I was looking to buy. I would not want the original engine which is now a boat anchor......
Old 02-15-2015, 09:39 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I totally understand where you are coming from but like the others have said,we will long be gone when that matters and they are not worth half of what they were bought for new. It will have to be extremely rare to even get back close to what they were new. Enjoy the car
Old 02-15-2015, 11:12 AM
apex97
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the input. I guess I may be being overly sensitive, but I am an avid vintage car collector and I deal with this issue almost daily. With older Corvettes, Porsches, Ferraris and other special cars, "non- Numbers matching" makes the car less desirable and much harder to sell. This is not a serious consideration for "normal" owners of course. Most people never consider the future collectability of their newer cars, and innocently destroy it early on. If there was a Corvette forum in 1970 there probably would have been a lot of guys saying it won't matter if your 2 year old L88 had a GM replacement engine too
There were more of those cars made than Z07's too OF course I'll be a doddering old fool long before it matters to this car!...I am already well on my way

Last edited by apex97; 02-15-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:18 AM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know about GM, but I know Harley Davidson has the dealership send the engines back to the MoCo for inspection.

Mark
Old 02-15-2015, 11:28 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

One thing to check, they should/probably will, stamp the numbers on the new engine before install.

Example from 2009 piston ring debacle:

Originally Posted by ratmotortom
Hey all !

Here's a couple of photos I snapped for you numbers guys this morning. This is a car that was involved the newest service bulletin that requires replacement of the complete 2009 engine assembly.

The question always comes up from the numbers guys................... I won't have matching numbers. Well, you will........ but.

There is a difference in the numbers. I've posted two shots here for you all to see. The first shot is from the factory installed engine in Corvette VIN # 8419. Notice the "engraved" style on the numbers. The lower shot is of the replacement engine for the same car. Notice the replacement has the correct vehicle ID, but the characters are "stamped" in a more traditional style like we see on the early Corvettes.

Just an observation I made and wanted to share with you all !!

Old 02-15-2015, 12:14 PM
apex97
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

That's interesting, and new information, I was told that the new engine would have a GM serial number but not one matched to the cars VIN. If they did for me what is shown in the photos, and documented it I'd be fine.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 730 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
One thing to check, they should/probably will, stamp the numbers on the new engine before install.

Example from 2009 piston ring debacle:
I heard this from others who had engine replacements. I would definitely make sure the engine gets stamped!
Old 02-15-2015, 01:49 PM
jballard
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some states allow diminished value claims after accidents and issues such as yours. I am going through this currently with a 3RD party insurance company. The burden of proof for the diminished value amount is on you. If you feel that the car will suffer diminished value due to non matching engine VIN, check out your state laws. Any amount recovered is better than nothing.

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping my engine after warranty replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keeping my engine after warranty replacement