C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should manual transmission be dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:05 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Should manual transmission be dropped?

Okay, I guess I'm really fired up about another thread I posted complaining about the power top being bundled with the 3LT package in 2007.

Many of the reponses are saying that in a $60,000 car, the power top should be expected - that people today expect that in a car of this price range. Further, they think that people who buy these cars don't want to be bothered by putting the top up and down manually.

Well, by that logic, does that mean they think GM needs to eliminate the manual tranmission because in a $60,000 car, people don't expect to have to shift for themselves.

Somehow, I thought the Corvette is still supposed to be more of a performance car and that GM came out with the Cadillac XLR to cover the "I don't want to be put out by having to do anything manually" crowd.

Yeah, I know - I'm one hard-headed SOB looking for people to tell me that I'm not crazy.....

Last edited by jschindler; 07-09-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Okay, I guess I'm really fired up about another thread I posted complaining about the power to being bundled with the 3LT package in 2007.

Many of the reponses are saying that in a $60,000 car, the power top should be expected - that people today expect that in a car of this price range. Further, they think that people who buy these cars don't want to be bothered by putting the top up and down manually.

Well, by that logic, does that mean they think GM needs to eliminate the manual tranmission because in a $60,000 car, people don't expect to have to shift for themselves.

Somehow, I thought the Corvette is still supposed to be more of a performance car and that GM came out with the Cadillac XLR to cover the "I don't want to be put out by having to do anything manually" crowd.

Yeah, I know - I'm one hard-headed SOB looking for people to tell me that I'm not crazy.....
I want a convertible with manual top and manual transmission.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:06 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I guess I'm really fired up about another thread I posted complaining about the power to being bundled with the 3LT package in 2007.

Actually it I agree with you on the other thread, GM should have left the roof a stand alone.

OK, YOUR NOT CRAZY!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:12 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I for one don't want the Corvette to follow conventional wisdom. Just because some other car comes with heated cup holders or some other accessory doesn't mean the vette should follow suit.

Now what GM needs to do is de-option the car, lower the MSRP a few grand that allow the car to be optioned by the individual buyer. Think of all the wild and weird combinations you'd see. I believe that would make everyone happy. Look what we got when GM decided to cater to the European market, some lame limp wristed sounding exhaust. Follow someone else, I think not.

Oh and “hard-headed SOB” NO, pragmatic YES.

Tom

Last edited by AFVETTE; 07-09-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:15 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Just because some other car comes with heated cup holders or some other accessory doesn't mean the vette should follow suit.
Umm, have you felt your console lately?

But to answer your question, no. If the Corvette only came with an AT, I would have bought a different car.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:26 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now what GM needs to do is de-option the car, lower the MSRP a few grand that allow the car to be optioned by the individual buyer.

Tom
How do we get this message to the descision makers at Chevy?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:27 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Me too --- and I get mine on 18 July!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:30 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

No
I think they should only come manual !

Seriously

I think that the manual ahould not cost a penny and the automatic is an addon !
Old 07-09-2006, 09:35 AM
GER42
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual at minimum as part of the base price. I got auto because the wife cannot drive std and I didn't want our marriage to break up after 30 years.
Gerry
Old 07-09-2006, 09:35 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,629 Posts

I for one don't want the Corvette to follow conventional wisdom. Just because some other car comes with heated cup holders or some other accessory doesn't mean the vette should follow suit.

Now what GM needs to do is de-option the car, lower the MSRP a few grand that allow the car to be optioned by the individual buyer. Think of all the wild and weird combinations you'd see. I believe that would make everyone happy. Look what we got when GM decided to cater to the European market, some lame limp wristed sounding exhaust. Follow someone else, I think not.

Oh and “hard-headed SOB” NO, pragmatic YES.

Tom
I could live with that. I would like to see engine options a la the '60's and early '70s.....
Old 07-09-2006, 09:50 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Default Available income does not decide Trans choice

As to GM bundling the Power Top with the 3LT package, I agree with the posts (another thread) saying GM is trying to improve their bottom line by: 1) Extracting more $ by forcing you to take more options to get those you must have (i.e. HUD), 2) Factory costs are lowered the fewer individual options that need scheduling/small inventory control costs.

This seems to be the opposite of eveything else I buy (electronics, computers, houses, boats, etc.) where with the cheaper stuff you're locked in to specific options and as the price rises you end up with increasing "special options" becoming available. Seems contrary to me in todays higher end car market that this is changing. At least with GM. Come on GM you made money in the 60's with "A La Carte" options!

As to the MN6 going away, I say no way. There are plenty of us still demanding to have our sports car this way. I may be wrong but summing up several years lurking on this site about Auto vs. Manual, I believe most of us chose one over the other based on personal driving environment experience. If I had an excessive amount of "stop and go" or city driving to do I'd prefer an A6 also. But I live in the suburbs with a country road commute to work and many miles of twisty back roads. I just love those down shifts to power through curves. Also, isn't this the purpose of the A6's paddles, where they give you the same feeling of control, just a little more convieniently giving your left foot a break. Oh, and your not Crazy!
Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 AM
PappyTinker
Melting Slicks

Location: Life ain't no dress rehearsal, are you gonna wait to get your toys til AFTER you have a heart attack?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would bet that the decision to make the power top standard was a totally economic decision. When you reduce the number of different processes on the line, the line moves smoother. When the line moves smoother, more vehicles can be produced. The training process is also made less complicated since they only need to teach the process for installing the power top.

I ordered mine because I knew my arthritis will only get worse plus it reduces the chance that I will scratch the side of the car with my belt buckle.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Horst
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Me too, I am getting mine on Tuesday.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:47 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I would never buy an automatic Corvette, unless it was like my 3rd one in the driveway and I used it for a beater car. I hate automatics.

Tony
Old 07-09-2006, 11:10 AM
DavesC5
Le Mans Master

Okay, I guess I'm really fired up about another thread I posted complaining about the power top being bundled with the 3LT package in 2007.

I agree with everything you said.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:13 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Performance cars should always have a manual tranny option (I'm considering an SMG a manual.) because some people like to shift gears.

That said, I don't think it makes a whole helluva lot of difference in performance unless the driver is a real pro.(Or thinks he is). One of our track-oriented members who is clearly a good driver based on his driving school ranking did better with the A6 than then MN6 so go figure. Is it because he had more track time before he drove the auto or is it because the A6 is "faster" in the real world of curves?

A low slung car gives the perception of greater speed.

High humidity gives the perception of increased temperature.

Choppy, snappy gear shifts give the impression of increased performance
Old 07-09-2006, 11:21 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yer not crazy!!!

When Corvette owners want soft automatic features as standard equipment, is when they figuratively start wearing their pants up around their navel. Maybe the General is evolving the Corvette as the average owner age increases...wrong strategy in my opinion. Look at Buick...unless it gets a Cadillacesque remake, it's a dead end marque (with emphasis on dead).

But...If I wanted a Lexus retractable hard top convertible, I'd buy the real McCoy...there's no point in ruining a perfectly good, historical performance car marque. Many of us are in the fading "muscle car generation"...Time will drag this old cowboy kicking and screaming into "that good night".

Get notified of new replies

To Should manual transmission be dropped?

Old 07-09-2006, 11:53 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Given GM's likely reasons for including it in 3LT, I'm wondering why they didn't just make it standard in all Corvette convertibles and up the M.S.R.P. by $2K across the board. Does anyone actually think that they would have sold fewer convertibles as a result of making such a move? (Understand, I'm not saying that I think they should have done this - I'm just a little surprised that they didn't.)
Old 07-09-2006, 12:23 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
How do we get this message to the descision makers at Chevy?
Unfortunately it'll never happen. Look what happened to the 99 FRC aka "Billy Bob". It was supposed to be a light weight de-optioned lower cost Corvette, they even proposed cloth seats. But there's no $$ in that so they changed course and created the Z06, granted the C5 Z was in fact a de-optioned Corvette that many love for it's best "bang for the buck" all out performance capabilities, but GM will never manufacture a car that caters to the buying public when there's a buck to be made.

Pitty, the C5 Z06 formula seemed to work for a 30% of all C5 buyers.

Tom
Old 07-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Maalox
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Jim,

You must have to much time on your hands this weekend. Doesn't one of your bikes need to be exercised

IMHO they should make all corvettes manuals.

Real men might eat Quiche, but they don't drive automatics.

Quick Reply: Should manual transmission be dropped?