C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road force tire balancing or NOT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:19 PM
cajunspeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road force tire balancing or NOT?

I'm getting ready to have my new wheels installed I had a question about tire balancing. The tire installer suggested I road force balance each wheel/tire what does that mean? The cost of each tire dismount/ remount and road force balance is $24.99 What should I do? Normal balance or road force?

Last edited by cajunspeed; 06-22-2006 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:29 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

The guys that don't have the Road Force Balancer will say it's not necessary. But I can give you an example of the good and bad. I purchased a set of 305/45/20 for my Denali from Discount Tire which has the RFB machine. I installed the wheels/tires on vehicle and was smooth as glass, but I didn't like the serrated blackwall and wanted the tires filpped. Bad msitake. After 3 tire dealers attempts to balance with no luck, I tracked down a dealer that had the RFB machine and problem solved again. If I have a choice, I will always have it done.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:20 AM
rhoward2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saplumr
If I have a choice, I will always have it done.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Virile1973
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cajunspeed
I'm getting ready to have my new wheels installed I had a question about tire balancing. The tire installer suggested I road force balance each wheel/tire what does that mean? The cost of each tire dismount/ remount and road force balance is $24.99 What should I do? Normal balance or road force?
Yes i would most definetly have it done.That Hunter GSP9700 machine is by far the best balancer that 10 grand will buy.Also 25 bucks for each tire mount/balance is very cheap.Tire shops in the Chicago area charge $45 each.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 AM
MagicMtnDan
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

When you drive a $50,000+ performance car with thousands of dollars in tires and wheels, there's only one way to go and that's to a shop that uses the Hunter GSP9700. There is no substitute!

Going far beyond the traditional functions of a wheel balancer…
The GSP9700 measures radial and lateral tire forces and provides instructions for solving ride and handling problems that other balancers and wheel aligners cannot fix.

Hunter’s GSP9700 is endorsed and recommended by vehicle manufacturers and proven by thousands of repair facilities worldwide as the leader in…

Wheel Balancing
Radial Force Calculations and Eccentricity Measurement
Lateral Force Tire Pull Measurement

Benefits of the GSP9700’s Three-In-One Diagnostic Repair Capability:
Solves Vibration Problems Balancers Won’t Fix
Detects non-balance, radial force-related problems associated with:
Tire uniformity.
Tire and rim runout.
Wheel-to-balancer mounting error.
Improper bead seating of tire to rim.
Faster Troubleshooting & Repair
Quickly calculates the contributions of the rim and tire to radial vibration problems and presents the technician with easy step-by-step repair instructions.
Identifies Potential Vehicle Pull or Drift Problems
The optional StraightTrak® LFM** feature measures lateral tire force then applies that information to a set of tires, providing multiple placement choices to eliminate or minimize pull problems.
Dramatically Improves Ride Quality & Customer Satisfaction
Duplicates vibration measurement and tire/wheel matching methods previously used only by vehicle manufacturers to provide that “new car ride.”

Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 AM
cajunspeed
Racer

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 10:58 AM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Sorry if I hijack this thread cajunspeed. Last Saturday I had my iForged wheels mounted on existing tires and I've noticed that ever since it was not smooth as before. As a matter of fact I've noticed a resonance of the tires, feels like it is jumping and the whole car shakes. Does that mean that it wasn't balanced properly? Would a road force balancer help get rid of my problem and get the smooth ride I had before? I appreciate if anyone can help me answer my questions.

Thanks,
Martin.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:08 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Used Road Force Balance on my 540 and WOW what a difference!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:52 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dark_phantom
Sorry if I hijack this thread cajunspeed. Last Saturday I had my iForged wheels mounted on existing tires and I've noticed that ever since it was not smooth as before. As a matter of fact I've noticed a resonance of the tires, feels like it is jumping and the whole car shakes. Does that mean that it wasn't balanced properly? Would a road force balancer help get rid of my problem and get the smooth ride I had before? I appreciate if anyone can help me answer my questions.

Thanks,
Martin.
Sad to say, iForged isn't noted for wheels that are actually round. The road force test will show this, but fixing it may require new wheels.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
jnx911
Melting Slicks

Given the choice I would prefer it.(Road Force)
Old 06-22-2006, 12:21 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Originally Posted by dark_phantom

Thanks,
Martin.

Hey dark_phantom, I am also in talks with vince to figure this out, I have sent him an email and lets see what he says. I have been told by him that I somehow damaged my wheels, when I know this was not the case.

Since you are also on the forum and have the same exact problem as me, It gives me more confidence to talk to iForged. Keep me posted and I will keep you posted. I hate to spend 3k on wheels and have to deal with this..

Anyone ever had this problem with HREs??
Old 06-22-2006, 12:24 PM
9C1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Road Force on the Hunter GSP9700 is the only way to go.
Terry
Old 06-22-2006, 01:08 PM
drgp
Advanced

It is the ONLY way to get low profile tires balanced propperly. PLUS, it will compensare for some imperfections in the wheels or tires.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:09 PM
RWDRIFTC2
Intermediate

Make sure you are running the hubcentric rings that iForged supplies with the wheels. I see that many people on this board are not running them. Without the rings, the wheels are not longer hubcentric they are only lug centric, which will cause vibration. The general rule of thumb.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Road force, hands down.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:13 PM
cfl70
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 06-22-2006, 01:46 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

This is what I know for a fact:
On my car, and on 5 of my friends cars, all done at Butler Tire in Atlanta. First they balance off the car, and then they do the road force on the car. Out of the 6 cars, none of them had any additional weights added or other adjustments once the wheels were mounted and road force balanced.

Opinion:
If your place can balance them just fine on the machine, its unnecessary. I would have a regular balance and drive the car. If it vibrates, bring it back for the road force. Maybe butler tire is just so good that they can balance perfectly off the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Road force tire balancing or NOT?

Old 06-22-2006, 02:16 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
Hey dark_phantom, I am also in talks with vince to figure this out, I have sent him an email and lets see what he says. I have been told by him that I somehow damaged my wheels, when I know this was not the case.

Since you are also on the forum and have the same exact problem as me, It gives me more confidence to talk to iForged. Keep me posted and I will keep you posted. I hate to spend 3k on wheels and have to deal with this..

Anyone ever had this problem with HREs??
kilr-ryd, I saw your post but at the time I did not had my wheels. Please keep me posted, I'm trying to find out if the tire shop can do something about it. If the shop can't do much I'm going to contact Vince and maybe both of us can get some resolution to our problem. I didn't even opened the boxes until they were on the shop and I checked for any damage before they mount them.

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
This is what I know for a fact:
On my car, and on 5 of my friends cars, all done at Butler Tire in Atlanta. First they balance off the car, and then they do the road force on the car. Out of the 6 cars, none of them had any additional weights added or other adjustments once the wheels were mounted and road force balanced.

Opinion:
If your place can balance them just fine on the machine, its unnecessary. I would have a regular balance and drive the car. If it vibrates, bring it back for the road force. Maybe butler tire is just so good that they can balance perfectly off the car.
Do you know the address and phone number for that shop? I've going to Texas next week and if it's not too far from my path I'll probably drop in so they can take a look. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:35 PM
RWDRIFTC2
Intermediate

Dark_Phantom,
DId the tire shop install the hubrings into your wheels that iForged sends with all vetter orders? THey are little plastic rings that go into the back of the wheel.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:23 PM
cajunspeed
Racer

Originally Posted by RWDRIFTC2
Make sure you are running the hubcentric rings that iForged supplies with the wheels. I see that many people on this board are not running them. Without the rings, the wheels are not longer hubcentric they are only lug centric, which will cause vibration. The general rule of thumb.
This is true My 350z had problems after I put the 19's on it forgot to put the hub centic rings in. In my case it did fix the problem.

Quick Reply: Road force tire balancing or NOT?