C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 trip report - Lake George - C6 is the ultimate car, period

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default C6 trip report - Lake George - C6 is the ultimate car, period

While most Long Island C6 people were at car shows yesterday, I decided to instead put some serious miles on my car. Shot up to Lake George and back all in the same day... 654 miles. Used winding scenic backroads... my wife and I had a GREAT time!!!

All I can say is that I LOVE my C6... it's PERFECT... I would not give it up or trade it for anything. I just hope and pray they keep making these things well into the future because I cannot live without it. I really don't see how this car could be any better... perfect blend of power, comfort and economy. The car is just absolutely EXCELLENT.

The car averaged 25 mpg for the day... that's 654 miles of highway combined with heavy throttle high-speed twisties and some stop and go traffic too. If I wasn't the one actually fueling up the car I wouldn't believe it... to be able to drive that hard, have so much fun and still average 25 mpg. Car is amazing. My old muscle-bike did not average too much better during hard use.... maybe low 30's... and that's a 700 pound vehicle with 65 cubic inches (V65).

I really got to appreciate the low end torque yesterday... you can run this car up and down steep hills all day long and very rarely have to downshift. Depending on speed, you can just leave it in 5th or even 6th through the twisties all day long and still have enough grunt to keep a big smile on your face. Often didn't even need to downshift while passing... could be in 5th gear at 1900 rpm, lay into the pedal and smoothly rocket past whatever was in the way.

Biggest problem was trying to keep from going TOO fast... I guess that's a good problem to have. Reminds me so much of my motorcycles. You're just flying, and so effortlessly... an exhilarating feeling.

I averaged 50 mph for the whole trip (while car was running)... that's 13 hours in the seat in one day... never once did my wife or I feel uncomfortable. This is absolutely the most comfortable car I ever experienced. By comparison, in all other cars I've ever driven, I start getting assorted cramps and numbness after about 4 hours or so.... legs, shoulders, back... but in the C6, 13 hours feels like nothing.

So, the C6 has the economy of an average efficient car, the brutal power of a fast muscle-bike and the comfort of a luxury vehicle. The more I think about it, the more it truly seems too good to be true. But I experienced it first hand... I'm either dead, dreaming or this car is just unbelievable.

Having the top off was great... I did not miss my old convertible one bit. The coupe with top off provides an excellent full open air motoring experience in my opinion. It may as well be a convertible.

I really cannot say enough great things about my C6. It does everything REALLY well. I have had zero problems with it. Car has done nothing but provide me with great happiness since day 1. Car is in bone stock form and I would not change a thing about it... it's perfect as is. (other than adding the CAGS eliminator)

I know a lot of people here occasionally bash GM and knock the C6, I do feel bad for those who have had negative experiences with their C6s, but I did want to report that, at least this owner, an experienced high performance car and motorcycle enthusiast, LOVES this car. Again, I cannot say enough good things about it. This will be my main vehicle for a LONG time... it's a keeper... just hope and pray it doesn't get wrecked or stolen.

And for those of you who are into bikes... Lake George was fun, the Americade Rally technically ended Saturday, but there were still a lot of bikes up there yesterday, it was a good time. I've been to Americade almost every single year since about 1990, usually on two wheels... and taking the C6 up there did not seem out of place at all since it may as well be a "four wheeled motorcycle". I saw a few other C6s up there too... and some nice C5s also... perhaps forum members? If you saw a silver C6 coupe parked along the main strip in town during the afternoon, slightly north of the shops, that was me.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:58 PM
LS6dude
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I have a silver 07 on the way myself.

About those bashing the C6 or GM, typically people with a positive experience have no reason to come talk about it on the forum. However, those will issues want the world to know how they feel about it.

That's just the instict of the human race these days.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 06-12-2006, 04:08 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Good 4 you!!!
Sounds like a you had a blast.

Take any c6/scenic pics??
if so, post a few!
Old 06-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS6dude
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I have a silver 07 on the way myself. About those bashing the C6 or GM, typically people with a positive experience have no reason to come talk about it on the forum. However, those will issues want the world to know how they feel about it. That's just the instict of the human race these days.
Best of luck with your soon coming `07!

Yes, it is normal for people to report the negatives and not report the positives. But I must say, my C6 experience has been so great so far that I cannot help shouting from the mountain tops about it. I still have a big grin on my face from driving it yesterday.

Prior to ordering my car, I was getting quite discouraged by all the negative reports at the forurm here. It kept me on the fence for almost a year. I finally decided to just go for it and I'm so glad I did. My biggest mistake was allowing the negative reports delay my decision... because the C6 is a great car regardless of the occasional issues... and ALL cars have issues.

I really wonder what the actual ratio is of those who have had serious headaches with their C6 to those, like me, who have had nothing but a stellar experience. The forum reports would probably lead us to believe that the car is of very poor quality and fails often. All I can say is that I bought one and it's been perfect.

But I am a little concerned about the delaminating top issue...
Old 06-12-2006, 04:21 PM
LS6dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vet
Best of luck with your soon coming `07!

Yes, it is normal for people to report the negatives and not report the positives. But I must say, my C6 experience has been so great so far that I cannot help shouting from the mountain tops about it. I still have a big grin on my face from driving it yesterday.

Prior to ordering my car, I was getting quite discouraged by all the negative reports at the forurm here. It kept me on the fence for almost a year. I finally decided to just go for it and I'm so glad I did. My biggest mistake was allowing the negative reports delay my decision... because the C6 is a great car regardless of the occasional issues... and ALL cars have issues.

I really wonder what the actual ratio is of those who have had serious headaches with their C6 to those, like me, who have had nothing but a stellar experience. The forum reports would probably lead us to believe that the car is of very poor quality and fails often. All I can say is that I bought one and it's been perfect.

But I am a little concerned about the delaminating top issue...

New products come new headaches. Hopefully the roof will stay put.

I would say the REAL % is very very small compared to happy customers.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vette-oholic
Good 4 you!!!
Sounds like a you had a blast.
Take any c6/scenic pics??
if so, post a few!
Thanks! Sorry, no pics. I had my Nikon D70S with me but I was having such a blast that I didn't even think to take pictures. I didn't even want to get out of the car for a minute to take a photo. I was almost going to pull off into a scenic parking area at one point to take a shot but then there was this big juicy curve up ahead, I couldn't resist so I kept the throttle on hard. Will get some pics next time, I promise. I need one of those cameras that I can mount on the hood so I can take pics without stopping - .
Old 06-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Gotta get the wife to shoot pics for you next time....
Old 06-12-2006, 04:45 PM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 06-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,156 Likes on 6,206 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Glad you are enjoying your C6. I love mine too.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:08 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Great write-up Vet and I couldn't agree more. My wife and I did a Corvette weekend up in Old Orchard Beach Maine with 160 of our closest friends and the car was unbelievable. I've only been an owner for about 3 weeks now and I just can't get over how awesome this car is. I traded in my C5 and I haven't looked back one bit. It sounds like you had an awesome day for yourself. Thanks for sharing.

Paul
Old 06-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The C6 is one great road car. It to bad that many don't take advanage of that part of owning one.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:42 PM
JDB2006BlkC6Z51
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to hear the good side once in a while. I have nothing but praise for mine as well although I haven't taken it on any long drives yet.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you had a great day in your C6!

Funny enough I was in Old Orchard with several members of the Adirondack Corvette Club based in Glens Falls, the next town over from Lake George Village celebrating our 3rd annual Caravan reunion.

Our trip took us along the Kangamangus highway....what a great road to drive! Be sure to try and get over to that on your next "Sunday drive".
Old 06-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Cat3347
Drifting

Sounds like a blast!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:36 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Default C6 Trip Report

Man... Did you HAVE to do that write up? I have to wait until July 18th to pick my 2006 Vert up at the Museum. After reading your wonderful missive, I don't know if I can wait! Oh well, I'll have to make do with my LPE Coupe till then!

Seriously, VERY nice write up. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 PM
GQMGT
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Anyone who goes to Lake George should take their Vette up Prospect Mountain. Great ride, GREAT views.
Enjoyed reading about your trip.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 trip report - Lake George - C6 is the ultimate car, period

Old 06-12-2006, 07:55 PM
mwar99
Racer

Originally Posted by GQMGT
Anyone who goes to Lake George should take their Vette up Prospect Mountain. Great ride, GREAT views.
Enjoyed reading about your trip.
Did that Memorial Day weekend! Opportunity for some good pics too.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice write up.

I notice that your car is a 2006 Coupe Z51 MN6 2LT.

Was the ride "harsh"?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Savage C6
Pro

Great write up! It just makes me believe even more that I'm making the right decision. I'm getting rid of a 04 Mercedes that I absolutely love, to buy the Vette and I sometimes wonder if I'm doing the right thing. More stories like this convince me that I am.

Quick Reply: C6 trip report - Lake George - C6 is the ultimate car, period