C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Bullets legal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Festivus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Bullets legal?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on them but worried about when it's inspection time since there is no muffler. I couldn't find any info on their website or searching the forum. Anyone know?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:30 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default Legal

It would depend on your particular state law.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Festivus
Racer

Well I'm in NJ and I really don't know what the law is here. There must be others in NJ that have them or have had them on older vettes.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:49 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Some states are passing law's which prohibit after market exhaust all together and some states enforce "db" levels. I'd start by looking at your states DMV web site or GOOGLING.

Just because other's have modded exhausts in your area doesn't mean it's legal.

Good luck

Tom
Old 06-01-2006, 02:27 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

not if there armor piercing
Old 06-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Lakelander
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 71 Posts

In NJ your typically at the mercy of the individual inspector if you take it to the DMV. Sometimes they can be a PITA with things like exhaust mods. However you also have the option of going to a private inspection station and they might be more tolerant with noise levels especially if your a regular customer.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:32 PM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

Haven't had any problems in Texas, but for about two weeks, I thought every officer in sight was going to pull me over.

However, now that I've had it a while, it doesn't seem all that loud and it never seems to be an issue. Seriously, I've heard Harleys that were louder. People notice the sound, but they don't seem to complain. Most say that's what they expected a Corvette to sound like.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

You will pass inspection as long as you have the CATS on...Even free flowing cats will keep you in good trim.
Straight pipes will give you problems...
Old 06-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Dub Silverado
Advanced

I think they should be ok in most states.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Maserkist
Instructor

Originally Posted by ein Tier
Haven't had any problems in Texas, but for about two weeks, I thought every officer in sight was going to pull me over.
I felt the same way when I first got my Bullets. I just knew every police cruiser I passed was going to pull out and nab me. After a few weeks and a few thumbs up (from police officers - to my surprise) I relaxed. I've had zero issues with them here in Floirda.

-Chris
Old 06-02-2006, 12:02 AM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maserkist
I felt the same way when I first got my Bullets. I just knew every police cruiser I passed was going to pull out and nab me. After a few weeks and a few thumbs up (from police officers - to my surprise) I relaxed. I've had zero issues with them here in Floirda.

-Chris
You can get by with pretty free flowing exhaust in California too if you aren't being a jerk.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:38 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I find it interesting that most responses are about whether you can "get away" with running a loud exhaust, and are not being responsive to the actual question of whether Bullets are legal. Bunch of scofflaws.

To answer the original question, no, they are not legal. They exceed the federal noise standard, so they aren't permitted on a street driven automobile by federal law. Some (most) states have laws which prohibit loud exhausts too. Then there are city noise ordinances. Bullets on a Vette aren't going to pass muster under any of those laws.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:59 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

I like your answer Shopdog. Right to the point. Put on Corsa's.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:10 AM
rick229
Instructor

I also live in Jersey and have GHL's on mine. Don't know where you are but you are welcome to here mine. Also there is a large corvette show at Stewart air force base in Newburgh New York on sunday. There should be alot of aftermarket exhausts to listen to.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:11 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I love the way those bullets sound!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:46 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ein Tier

However, now that I've had it a while, it doesn't seem all that loud and it never seems to be an issue. Seriously, I've heard Harleys that were louder. People notice the sound, but they don't seem to complain. Most say that's what they expected a Corvette to sound like.
To say that most Harleys are louder would be an understatement. My wife and I eat at a restaurant on a main road every Friday night where we sit outside. Several times each night a Harley will go by so loud that we have to stop talking because we can't hear each other.

I think that many people over estimate how loud Bullets really are. Have a friend drive one "normally" past you while you stand about 100 feet back from the road. Sure, you can hear it, but I think you'll be surprised at how unoffensive it really is. Do that on a busy road, then sit there while dump trucks, UPS trucks (or was that a Viper?) and other commercial trucks go by. I'll bet the Bullets are not any louder than many legal trucks that go by.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:17 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
I find it interesting that most responses are about whether you can "get away" with running a loud exhaust, and are not being responsive to the actual question of whether Bullets are legal. Bunch of scofflaws.

To answer the original question, no, they are not legal. They exceed the federal noise standard, so they aren't permitted on a street driven automobile by federal law. Some (most) states have laws which prohibit loud exhausts too. Then there are city noise ordinances. Bullets on a Vette aren't going to pass muster under any of those laws.
.. spot on for Connecticut! Most LEO's around here won't bother you unless you are really doing WOT in a populated area.

Get notified of new replies

To Are Bullets legal?

Old 06-02-2006, 09:28 AM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
.. spot on for Connecticut! Most LEO's around here won't bother you unless you are really doing WOT in a populated area.
That's what I miss about CT vehicle laws, "within reason." If you aren't being a jerk, usually you'll get away with it...
Old 06-02-2006, 09:32 AM
lightning30
Instructor

just a bullet im pretty sure thats leagal in almost all states,the gun,what state u in?
Old 06-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Festivus
Racer

Thanks for all the replies. After much deliberation I went ahead and purchased the bullets yesterday from WCC. I just love the way they sound even if its just thru clips, much more aggressive than other systems and that is essentially what I wanted. I don't drive the car everyday but I figured I'd probably get pulled over for no front plate before I do for the exhaust.

I also plan on holding onto the stock system just in case I run into inspection issues 4 yrs down the road. I was planning on doing the install myself but concerned about clearance issues putting the car on jack stands? Anyone do the install themselves this way before?

Quick Reply: Are Bullets legal?