C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery on A6

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 07:52 AM
tombachmann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery on A6

I have seen many threads in the past on DBS on MN6's.
I have a dead battery on an A6. I haven't seen that here before, but I haven't been on as much lately.
I left the keys in the car for a week - would this have killed the baterry?
Has anybody else experienced this? I tried jumping it, couldn't get any juice into the car at all. Of course when I got the door open through the trunk, the window won't index and now I can't close the door. What a royal pain. It is Saturday, so service will be an issue.
Any help or advice from you guys would be appreciated!
Old 05-20-2006, 07:57 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default keys

I would have to say leaving the keys in the car is the cause!The car doesn't shut down at all when the remote is near it,imho.I always get the beep,beep,beep when I forget my fob in the car!
Old 05-20-2006, 08:01 AM
RBYCC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tombachmann
I have seen many threads in the past on DBS on MN6's.
I have a dead battery on an A6. I haven't seen that here before, but I haven't been on as much lately.
I left the keys in the car for a week - would this have killed the baterry?
Has anybody else experienced this? I tried jumping it, couldn't get any juice into the car at all. Of course when I got the door open through the trunk, the window won't index and now I can't close the door. What a royal pain. It is Saturday, so service will be an issue.
Any help or advice from you guys would be appreciated!
Recently had an A6 dead battery.
Vehicle had sat for three weeks with the seats out and the radio, ac unit ashtray also removed. All the electrical connections to these items were open. First indication was doors would not open, fortunately windows were down so easy to get in via the floor mounted levers. Vehicle wouldn't recognize the FOB. Checked battery and it was at 8.4 volts. Charged battery to 12 + volts, left a battery tender on, and just last night after the install of the seats, I decide to remove the battery tender. I'll find out shortly if there is a problem.

Possible leaving the FOB in caused a slight drain due to the vehicle sensing it. Always a constant drain due to systems that remain active even when parked.

Jumping should allow you to start the vehicle unless you have an open circuit that precludes a jump start
Old 05-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse12804
I always get the beep,beep,beep when I forget my fob in the car!
Many have this feature turned off.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:09 AM
tombachmann
Instructor

Originally Posted by RBYCC
Recently had an A6 dead battery.
Vehicle had sat for three weeks with the seats out and the radio, ac unit ashtray also removed. All the electrical connections to these items were open. First indication was doors would not open, fortunately windows were down so easy to get in via the floor mounted levers. Vehicle wouldn't recognize the FOB. Checked battery and it was at 8.4 volts. Charged battery to 12 + volts, left a battery tender on, and just last night after the install of the seats, I decide to remove the battery tender. I'll find out shortly if there is a problem.

Possible leaving the FOB in caused a slight drain due to the vehicle sensing it. Always a constant drain due to systems that remain active even when parked.

Jumping should allow you to start the vehicle unless you have an open circuit that precludes a jump start
Tried Jumping it last night. Have hand a battery charger on it all night.
Still Dead!
Old 05-20-2006, 08:33 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

GM has repeatedly warned that keeping a fob stored near the car can cause a battery drain. That's probably what caused the dead battery in your case.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Wingrider
Burning Brakes

I had this problem about a week or so ago. Could not even jumb it. The dealer said it was a defective battery, and replaced the same. All is well now.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:31 AM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by tombachmann
Tried Jumping it last night. Have hand a battery charger on it all night.
Still Dead!
Some battery chargers will not operate/charge a battery that is below 9volts. My battery was marginal, first charge managed to get up to about 11 volts, then eventually up to 12+ volts. Left it overnight and no problem starting this morning. Only problem is that although I get an indication of remote door lock/unlock, the doors won't lock ! Also my Airbag warning light stays on. I'm going to go through the shop manuals to see what I can discover.

I'd try a jump again to get it started, once started let it run, then shut off and charge. Battery should be holding 12V+ at that point with 13V+ when running
Old 05-20-2006, 10:57 AM
DAN01
Racer

Leaving the FOB in the car was probably why the battery went dead.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:00 AM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

On a Auto
Old 05-20-2006, 12:57 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Old 05-20-2006, 06:34 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Had this car been a manual '05 it would have gone down as a case of "DBS."

No one would have even entertained the possibility of the key FOB being left inside the car as a possible reason for the dead battery.

It would have automatically gone down as another case of "DBS" due to the overblown DBS panic. Indeed, this original poster, having read so many "DBS" threads himself, may have been at least partially convinced, or at least "concerned" that he was the latest victim of "DBS" due to the unwarranted panic.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery on A6

Quick Reply: Dead Battery on A6