C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Falkens - Non Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 09:06 PM
mikejofgb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Falkens - Non Runflats

My car just hit 6,800 miles.. and my Z51 Goodyear Supercar runflats were down to the wearbars. So based on feedback from othe rmembers I bought the Falken non-runflats.

Initial feedback is I am very, very satisfied. The ride is much quieter and smoother... and the tires are much stickier. Don't break loose at all. Full set delivered from DiscountTireDirect.com for $830.

I've read the debates about runflats vs non-runflats, and while each of us have an opinion since I don't use my car as an everyday driver I decided to go for performance and ride comfort.

So those of you thinking of making the change, at least know that I highly recommend the Falkens!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:26 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikejofgb
My car just hit 6,800 miles.. and my Z51 Goodyear Supercar runflats were down to the wearbars. So based on feedback from othe rmembers I bought the Falken non-runflats.

Initial feedback is I am very, very satisfied. The ride is much quieter and smoother... and the tires are much stickier. Don't break loose at all. Full set delivered from DiscountTireDirect.com for $830.

I've read the debates about runflats vs non-runflats, and while each of us have an opinion since I don't use my car as an everyday driver I decided to go for performance and ride comfort.

So those of you thinking of making the change, at least know that I highly recommend the Falkens!
Good to know, I have been thinking about them as well for replacements. Were the ones you put on the car the new FK452 tires?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:37 PM
railgun
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have a set of those Falken's also and while they are a little bit lighter than the run flats (about 7 lbs. for the whole set), one area they fall down a bit is in the looks department. While the tread pattern looks great, the Falken tires appear to be noticeably narrower than the Z51 runflats. I haven't measured them so it might be an optical illusion.

The Falken's have serious grip, but I can't say that they are any better at the limits than the Z51 runflats. I've been using the Falken's as auto-x tires and have found them to be extremely predictable at the limit. Better yet, they are still holding up pretty well after about 16 runs (at 38 psi).
Old 05-17-2006, 09:51 PM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks. These are the very tires that I had in mind for a long time. It looks like you are more satisfied with the Falkens over the F1
Old 05-18-2006, 12:26 AM
mikejofgb
Instructor

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
Good to know, I have been thinking about them as well for replacements. Were the ones you put on the car the new FK452 tires?
The tires I purchased were the GR Beta FK-451's.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:29 AM
mikejofgb
Instructor

Originally Posted by railgun
I have a set of those Falken's also and while they are a little bit lighter than the run flats (about 7 lbs. for the whole set), one area they fall down a bit is in the looks department. While the tread pattern looks great, the Falken tires appear to be noticeably narrower than the Z51 runflats. I haven't measured them so it might be an optical illusion.

The Falken's have serious grip, but I can't say that they are any better at the limits than the Z51 runflats. I've been using the Falken's as auto-x tires and have found them to be extremely predictable at the limit. Better yet, they are still holding up pretty well after about 16 runs (at 38 psi).

They do have a slightly different look in the sidewall but I'm getting used to it. They are the same width tires but the fit around the rim looks a little different. The runflats could not hold the pavement well off the line (even brand new). And they were terrible in cooler weather. While this time of year that isn't an issue, many people have said the non-runflats have much better cold and wet performance.

Also the feel of the tire is a little different (quieter and less rough) but the handling seems to be at least as good as the Goodyears. I don't race the car, but I am aggressive with it and I feel more in control with these tires than I ever did with the stock Goodyears.

May not be for everyone but at least I am very pleased.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:47 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Thank you for your sincere honest information and no assessment of these tires. I have to wonder though for you go wear out tires that fast you must be tracking it on the weekends.
The cost of these Falkens is $830 for a set of 2 or 4 tires? and what are the model numbers that will fit a 2005 C-6? Would they be a good tire for weekend driving?
I have been going back and forth with the run-flat vs. non-runflat and keep hearing that the non-runflats are alot more comfortable, quiet and better handling not to mention less $$$$ and yet if you go with non-runflats you stand a very good chance of damaging your tire sensors. So I don't know but perhaps it going to cost you no matter what type of tire you get. I believe I saw the Good Years for 350 and up per tire rear tires will be more as they are larger than fronts. I really don't know if the non-runflats are that much less in price but what tire company are you getting this information from?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:02 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Now for everyday driving you would not recommend these Falkens or for that matter non-run flats?
There is another name of tires called Riken that was popular before for best pricing.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:08 AM
mikejofgb
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS WON
Thank you for your sincere honest information and no assessment of these tires. I have to wonder though for you go wear out tires that fast you must be tracking it on the weekends.
The cost of these Falkens is $830 for a set of 2 or 4 tires? and what are the model numbers that will fit a 2005 C-6? Would they be a good tire for weekend driving?
I have been going back and forth with the run-flat vs. non-runflat and keep hearing that the non-runflats are alot more comfortable, quiet and better handling not to mention less $$$$ and yet if you go with non-runflats you stand a very good chance of damaging your tire sensors. So I don't know but perhaps it going to cost you no matter what type of tire you get. I believe I saw the Good Years for 350 and up per tire rear tires will be more as they are larger than fronts. I really don't know if the non-runflats are that much less in price but what tire company are you getting this information from?

No problem... the $830 was for all four tires. The Z51 Goodyear Supercars do have a tendency to wear out quickly (it's not just me!). I never spun them but do drive aggressively. But even I was surprised to have the rears look like they did so quickly!!

The cost of the Goodyears are not too much more for the rears, but I would replace them twice as fast as the non-runflats (according to what others have said about treadwear). So on a per mile basis they are a great value.

I asked my dealer about non-runflats and what if any impact it would have on the sensors. The said it should not cause any problems unless you get a flat... if you do and use the foam spray that will kill the sensor. Otherwise just call a flatbed and have it towed.

I'd have no concern using the Falkens if the C6 was a daily driver, but a number of people express a concern with the potential of a flat. But that doesn't worry me. If I were going across country I would either bring a small spare that fits or some other solution.... but otherwise no problems!

Mike
Old 05-18-2006, 01:53 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

No problem... the $830 was for all four tires. The Z51 Goodyear Supercars do have a tendency to wear out quickly (it's not just me!). I never spun them but do drive aggressively. But even I was surprised to have the rears look like they did so quickly!!

The cost of the Goodyears are not too much more for the rears, but I would replace them twice as fast as the non-runflats (according to what others have said about treadwear). So on a per mile basis they are a great value.

I asked my dealer about non-runflats and what if any impact it would have on the sensors. The said it should not cause any problems unless you get a flat... if you do and use the foam spray that will kill the sensor. Otherwise just call a flatbed and have it towed.

I'd have no concern using the Falkens if the C6 was a daily driver, but a number of people express a concern with the potential of a flat. But that doesn't worry me. If I were going across country I would either bring a small spare that fits or some other solution.... but otherwise no problems!

Mike
But which tire shop or mail order did you get these Falkens and the model numbers?
Old 05-18-2006, 02:25 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

But which tire shop or mail order did you get these Falkens and the model numbers?
Full set delivered from DiscountTireDirect.com
Old 05-18-2006, 11:24 AM
avvetteguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the exact set for 6 months and I love them. The other huge benefit is their wet traction, the supercar EMT's were horrible in water. I will be buying another pair of the Falken's when I need new ones.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:30 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

6800 miles and they're shot? Is that typical mileage for these type of tires?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:29 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cthusker
These are for the Z-51 tires? I don't th ink so but if he is taking his car to the track every weekend then I guess so.
I have 10,000 on mine but plenty of tredwear left.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Not for me. At 9000 miles I measured 6.5 to 7/32 of tread left out of 9/32 to start.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:32 PM
mikejofgb
Instructor

These are for the Z-51 tires? I don't th ink so but if he is taking his car to the track every weekend then I guess so.
I have 10,000 on mine but plenty of tredwear left.

I have never been to the track with my car. That said I am addicted to the feeling of accelerating from 15MPH to 80MPH on every on-ramp!! I never spun the tires...

A lot of people have complained about the treadwear. My rear alignment was off, which may have contributed as well. I had the dealer look at the alignment last summer and "no issues" but when the tires were replaced they "found issues". Covered under warranty but may have led to premature wear.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:35 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Not for me. At 9000 miles I measured 6.5 to 7/32 of tread left out of 9/32 to start.
That's where mine are at 8300 miles.

Get notified of new replies

To Falkens - Non Runflats

Old 05-18-2006, 01:36 PM
mikejofgb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe

Also, when I decided to replace the tires they weren't "bald". There still was probably 3/32 or 4/32 left... just about to hit the wear bars. But what I was noticing is the traction was horrible - even shifting from second to third I would lose the back end. So I probably could have gone to 10,000 miles but I wouldn't have had much fun for the summer.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:45 PM
ShinezAlot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, my original Goodyears are still good after 32,000+ miles. These are non-Z51 C6. I will be replacing the front tires soon though.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:51 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I have never been to the track with my car. That said I am addicted to the feeling of accelerating from 15MPH to 80MPH on every on-ramp!! I never spun the tires...

A lot of people have complained about the treadwear. My rear alignment was off, which may have contributed as well. I had the dealer look at the alignment last summer and "no issues" but when the tires were replaced they "found issues". Covered under warranty but may have led to premature wear.
You must really drive hard alright. The dealership told me to have the Corvette aligned at least once a year though I have had it aligned twice this last year because of the bad roads here.
$830 for all 4 tires that's a real deal not runflats but at least we have a choice here to me made run flats vs. non runflats.
I trust that the Falkens do have decent wear if you drive conservative and good all season tire especially in the rain?

Quick Reply: Falkens - Non Runflats