C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!!! C6 or M3!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 03:02 PM
sc0re2
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!! C6 or M3!?!

Hey guys, i have a serious dilemma on my hands here. I'm a 21 yr old college student who worked my *** for the last 3 yrs and save every penny to try and get my hands on a 2002-2004 BMW M3. I'll be purchasing a new car in July and I have a few problems.

Well, I have absolutely loved the M3 for the longest time...since gas prices have been horrible...and i highly doubt it will ever get better...so the fact that it only gets 16mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway has been like on my mind alot lately. I even heard that some M3 owners can get only 10mpg in a very populated city because of all the stop and go's.

I was into imports but, i fell out of that spell since I learned more and more about the M3. Bottom line is...i want a nice sporty ride that is RWD, manual, quick, and eye catching...and i'm not talking about a POS 350z, G35, S2000, or any car that u would see 60 times in one day.

I know that the new C6 corvette gets very good gas mileage and an extremely nice ride. It looks superb, beats anything on the road, and probably the sickest ride out right now. But if I did get an M3..I just dont want all of my hard-earned money going to the gas pump...

I hope u guys understand I'm not sitting here biting my nails and looking at gas prices 24/7. I just wanted to know how much u C6 guys are paying for a full tank and see how much I would save and enjoy in a vette. I sure would appreciate any input from you guys. Thank you guys for reading this long post and giving any helpful advice.

Dan
Old 04-28-2006, 03:18 PM
danielg69
Racer

Honestly it sounds like you would be making a horrible financial decision. Also if you come on a C6 board then what kind of answer do you think you will get? Do a search as this topic has been covered a ton.

Daniel
Old 04-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

IMO, the C6 is a better-looking vehicle, but even a pre-owned '05 may not be in your budget. But you didn't ask for opinions on that.

The question you seem to ask is about C6 mileage? I've never owned an M3, but it sounds like the M3 and C6 are almost exactly the same mileage-wise. My C6 is my daily driver and I have a 15-mile round-trip daily commute that includes a pretty even mix of city streets, freeway stop-and-go, and freeway cruising, and I'm averaging about 16.5 mpg per tank. I've seen posts here as high as 28 mpg on a highway trip, and as low as 10-12 for full-time street driving.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:27 PM
05C6400
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a house!
Old 04-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Catchindirtbags
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Score having a BMW (12 cylinder 750IL) myself if I had to get rid of one it would be the BMW. In a BMW you are one of VERY many even it is an M3. Additionally have you looked at repair costs for the BMW? EVERYTIME I go to the BMW dealership to get repairs I cringe. Even mundane repairs/service are pretty pricey.

Ultimately BMW M3 and a Corvette are two entirely different cars pros and cons I guess for both but at the end of the day as someone who has just gotten my first Corvette I wouldn't trade it for anything they are a special beast.

I wish I had had the choice between a M3 and a Corvette when I was 21. As a 21 year old marine (41 now) I had a beater Delta 88.

If I were to give you dad type advice I'd say niether buy something that gets you to and from work/college without flashy bells and whistles and save/invest the rest of your cash for a rainy day which you will likely have many.

The rowdy side of me says get the C6 and go deeply into debt by putting on a supercharger, headers, exhaust, cam, tune, some cool stickers and go burn rubber.

Kidding about the stickers...
Old 04-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sc0re2
Well, I have absolutely loved the M3 for the longest time...since gas prices have been horrible...and i highly doubt it will ever get better...so the fact that it only gets 16mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway has been like on my mind alot lately. I even heard that some M3 owners can get only 10mpg in a very populated city because of all the stop and go's.

I know that the new C6 corvette gets very good gas mileage and an extremely nice ride. It looks superb, beats anything on the road, and probably the sickest ride out right now. But if I did get an M3..I just dont want all of my hard-earned money going to the gas pump...

I hope u guys understand I'm not sitting here biting my nails and looking at gas prices 24/7. I just wanted to know how much u C6 guys are paying for a full tank and see how much I would save and enjoy in a vette. I sure would appreciate any input from you guys. Thank you guys for reading this long post and giving any helpful advice.Dan
I only get 15 mpg, almost all stop and go in town, with my C6.
Rare highway trip, 24-30 mpg depending on speed. Generally 27-28 at 80mph.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:33 PM
2HD's2vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Catchindirtbags
Score having a BMW (12 cylinder 750IL) myself if I had to get rid of one it would be the BMW. In a BMW you are one of VERY many even it is an M3. Additionally have you looked at repair costs for the BMW? EVERYTIME I go to the BMW dealership to get repairs I cringe. Even mundane repairs/service are pretty pricey.

Ultimately BMW M3 and a Corvette are two entirely different cars pros and cons I guess for both but at the end of the day as someone who has just gotten my first Corvette I wouldn't trade it for anything they are a special beast.

I wish I had had the choice between a M3 and a Corvette when I was 21. As a 21 year old marine (41 now) I had a beater Delta 88.

If I were to give you dad type advice I'd say niether buy something that gets you to and from work/college without flashy bells and whistles and save/invest the rest of your cash for a rainy day which you will likely have many.

The rowdy side of me says get the C6 and go deeply into debt by putting on a supercharger, headers, exhaust, cam, tune, some cool stickers and go burn rubber.

Kidding about the stickers...
That was simply a GREAT post/response!!
Old 04-28-2006, 03:36 PM
RacerChris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sc0re2
Hey guys, i have a serious dilemma on my hands here. I'm a 21 yr old college student who worked my *** for the last 3 yrs and save every penny to try and get my hands on a 2002-2004 BMW M3. I'll be purchasing a new car in July and I have a few problems.

I was into imports but, i fell out of that spell since I learned more and more about the M3. Bottom line is...i want a nice sporty ride that is RWD, manual, quick, and eye catching...and i'm not talking about a POS 350z, G35, S2000, or any car that u would see 60 times in one day.

I hope u guys understand I'm not sitting here biting my nails and looking at gas prices 24/7. I just wanted to know how much u C6 guys are paying for a full tank and see how much I would save and enjoy in a vette. I sure would appreciate any input from you guys. Thank you guys for reading this long post and giving any helpful advice.

Dan
IMO, buying a new car is something you do with your money once you are settled, have a house, have a retirement plan and finally have "disposable" cash. It is not something that a 21 year old should be doing. I bought my first new car after I bought my second house... That does not mean I didn't have nice cars, I just bought used cars that were a few years old. The depreciation will get you BIG in any new sports cars. Again, just my opinion... Do what you want, but spend wisely...
Old 04-28-2006, 03:39 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6400
Buy a house!
That was just not right.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:42 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

In 2000, my local Chevy dealer and GM pissed me off and I swore I would never by a GM again. I so badly wanted a new C5 Vette, but was too mad at GM. I bought a new 2000 BMW and then a new 2001 330 cic. I loved the cars. I decided I would buy a new 2005 M3. I test drove a M3 and then a C6. I test drove the C6 because I thought that would convince me even more that the M3 would be the right car for me. WRONG! I loved the C6 and decided to forget my past relationship with my dealer and GM. The car has been great and my local Chevy dealership has also been very good to me. With the money you save on the price of the C6 over the M3, plus the gas money saved, you will come out way ahead. I say, go for the C6.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Buy the M3, save the C6 for someone who really wants it.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:51 PM
BACH
Pro

forget the gas prices for now. i've owned quite a few vettes abd bmw,s while gas prices may be a factor. the real budget breaker will be service. any service done on a bmw costs a fortune the vette is after all a chevy.whenever one of my bmw needed some work the part or parts had to be ordered either from europe or where bmw warehouses its parts the vette is much more pratical from a servicing point of view
Old 04-28-2006, 03:54 PM
FLGiordano
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember the old saying: "Speed costs. How much do you want to spend." You are simply not going to find a really high performance vehicle like either the BMW M3 or the C6 Corvette that is truly miserly at the gas pump. It takes horsepower to go fast and it takes gasoline to generate the necessary horsepower. That said, you might consider buying youself a smaller displacement used motorcycle to go back and forth to school and then use the M3 or Corvette on the weekends. If you only drive it a couple of days a week, it really wouldn't matter what the gas mileage is.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BACH
forget the gas prices for now. i've owned quite a few vettes abd bmw,s while gas prices may be a factor. the real budget breaker will be service. any service done on a bmw costs a fortune the vette is after all a chevy.whenever one of my bmw needed some work the part or parts had to be ordered either from europe or where bmw warehouses its parts the vette is much more pratical from a servicing point of view
Isn't maintenance on the BMS's free for the first three years including oil, wiper blades etc....
Old 04-28-2006, 03:56 PM
JyymBo
Burning Brakes

If you are looking at buying a $50k car and you are worried about gas prices...maybe you aren't ready for a $50k car.

JimO
Erie, PA
#403 on the list for a Z06!!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:01 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I love my C6 but it is my 1st new car and I'm 52. If I were you, I would buy a low mileage C4 or C5, save the rest to put towards a house. The C4's and C5's are also fuel efficient and are alot of bang for the buck. I'm not a BMW fan. IMHO they are overpriced and overated.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:02 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Buy a house!

Good investment advice, but he didn't ask about what kind of house to buy, did he?
There's time for the house. If he's really 21 and can afford a C6, then he's ahead of most people in terms of managing finances and will be looking at houses in another 5 yrs.

Score2- just get the C6 if you can swing it and thank yourself later. I have nothing against bimmers, they're good cars, but based on what it sounds like your looking for, the M3 will not satisfy like the C6.
Which brings me to my last point- make sure you know what type of car you want! You can match up perf #'s all you want, but they are very diff cars in almost every way.
Good luck.

Forgot to say in the original post- If you are 21 and are choosing between an M3 and a C6, that is not even close to what you call a "serious dilemma".
I'm not flaming and I don't mean to preach, but it might be a good idea NOW to make sure you're keeping things in perspective. Most of the population, at any age, let alone 21, can only dream of having either car.
Make an informed decision, don't spend every penny on whatever you decide to get, drive carefully, treat the car with respect, and enjoy it.
Do not take it for granted though.
OK, I'm done sounding like a "reasonable adult".

Last edited by greenshirt77; 04-28-2006 at 04:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!!!! C6 or M3!?!

Old 04-28-2006, 04:06 PM
netcruizer99
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGiordano
Remember the old saying: "Speed costs. How much do you want to spend." You are simply not going to find a really high performance vehicle like either the BMW M3 or the C6 Corvette that is truly miserly at the gas pump. It takes horsepower to go fast and it takes gasoline to generate the necessary horsepower. That said, you might consider buying youself a smaller displacement used motorcycle to go back and forth to school and then use the M3 or Corvette on the weekends. If you only drive it a couple of days a week, it really wouldn't matter what the gas mileage is.
Exactly! Corvettes, M3's, Porche, etc., typically aren't a person's only vehicle, they usually are the 2nd or even 3rd vehicle of choice, the toy in the family. As a result, people usually don't fret over how much gas cost this week like they would if it was their only vehicle. When a person typically (I know there are some who have a corvette as their only vehicle) owns only 1 vehicle, it tends to be a little more on the practical side, once they move up to 2 or more vehicles, then they move into the performance or weekend toys like vettes, or jeeps.

But in the end, you'll have to live with the decision, not us.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:10 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Buy a house!

Buy a house and start saving money. Don't be "car-poor".

But, if you MUST give in to your car addiction, there really is no choice: the C6 is the most bang-for-the-buck money can buy. Looks, performance, breeding, comfort, it's got it all.

Good luck, kid!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:13 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

buy something within your means....for the most part people that can afford a $50-60K don't really worry about gas prices.....

Quick Reply: HELP!!!!! C6 or M3!?!