C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive through a Landslide

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Helios
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive through a Landslide

Hello All,

I was having a blast with my first and treasured corvette yesterday, cruising on the mountains, perfect day and pefect setting to take a corvette out, I take a sweeping corner and to my horror found rocks from a land slide strewn all over the road and there was oncoming traffic on the blindcorner! I had no choice except to center the rocks and one big one tore the underbody apart! the chevy showroom said that I would need to replace the right side floor as well as the fuel tank sheild and front fender assembly housing and under body braces, the qoute was an astronomical 3K figure. PLease advise me on what to do! I am new to the insurance and geting cars fixed scene. FYI this is my first car in this country! Thanks. I will post the pics ASAP.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:17 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Helios
Hello All,

I was having a blast with my first and treasured corvette yesterday, cruising on the mountains, perfect day and pefect setting to take a corvette out, I take a sweeping corner and to my horror found rocks from a land slide strewn all over the road and there was oncoming traffic on the blindcorner! I had no choice except to center the rocks and one big one tore the underbody apart! the chevy showroom said that I would need to replace the right side floor as well as the fuel tank sheild and front fender assembly housing and under body braces, the qoute was an astronomical 3K figure. PLease advise me on what to do! I am new to the insurance and geting cars fixed scene. FYI this is my first car in this country! Thanks. I will post the pics ASAP.
Sorry for your misfortune. $3k is very reasonable for the amount of damage you describe. Your insurance should cover all of it except your deductable.

This accident offers an opportunity to remind people not to over-drive their sight lines. You shouldn't drive at a speed that won't allow you come to a complete stop in the distance you can see is clear ahead.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:52 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
Sorry for your misfortune. $3k is very reasonable for the amount of damage you describe. Your insurance should cover all of it except your deductable.

This accident offers an opportunity to remind people not to over-drive their sight lines. You shouldn't drive at a speed that won't allow you come to a complete stop in the distance you can see is clear ahead.
on both counts. Many people that haven't taken defensive driving techniques don't understand sight lines. Something that should be taught in drivers ed as opposed to parallel parking. Most (not all) accidents are preventable. 3k seems almost to cheap to properly fix the car with that amount of damage. Just make sure that everything is in fact being repaired.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:01 AM
4CEE
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Just make sure that everything is in fact being repaired.
Some insurers push shortcuts on repair facilities.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

100%
Old 04-25-2006, 08:42 AM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

This will probably be covered under the comprehensive portion of the policy.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:55 AM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto - always be in control - hope the fix goes well and you're back on the road soon
Old 04-25-2006, 09:58 AM
rdm1465
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Helios, Sorry to hear about that. Just remember one thing. and this is very important. Your insurance company for obvious reasons will want to repair the car at the cheapest possible prices. They may even recommend that you take it to a shop of thier liking. But, they cannot force you to use any shops. You should take it to the shop that you want to use, and insist on OEM parts. Don't settle for any less. Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I used to be an adjuster... since you hit the rocks it's a collision claim, sorry no way around that even given the circumstances.

Had the rocks rolled down and hit you it'd be comprehensive. File a claim w/ you insurance company... you pay the deductible and they pay all the rest.

Their adjuster will write an estimate and give you a check made to you and the body shop of your choice. Then you take the car there to get it fixed. If they find additional damage or costs beyone the initial insurance co. estimate they contact the adjuster directly for a supplement.

You pick up the car done and ready to do... if you have rental car coverage you get a car to drive.

PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:32 AM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Helios,
All will be well with your car. Have the repair done at a Chevy Dealership that has experience with new vettes. Make sure OE parts are used in the repair. Inspect the repair work personally and be requiring as any Vette owner would be. If they have a new vet make them put it on the rack and insure your looks exactly the same after the repair. Have them make sure the alignment is correct. After you drive the car for about 500 miles, bring it back in for a thorough inspection to insure everything is tight and no unusual tire wear is taking place. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:46 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

$3K for parts and labor sounds very reasonable. Where are you from?
Old 04-25-2006, 12:39 PM
legalgus
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettesmith02
This will probably be covered under the comprehensive portion of the policy.
Probably not. Not a falling object, deer, fire, etc.. More likely classified as roadbed/debris collision subject to collision deductible.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Catchindirtbags
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I know a few years back some groups were warning that insurance companies were having repair shops use non OEM stuff to fix car so they said you should insist on only OEM replacement parts to help keep value. Anyone know if this is still an issue across the board or was this just a few companies trying to save money?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Yes insurance companies will use aftermarket body panels in repairs. For the most part they're just as good as oem. If they come in crappy the repair tech could call me, we'd inspect, and approve oem.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:26 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by rdm1465
Helios, Sorry to hear about that. Just remember one thing. and this is very important. Your insurance company for obvious reasons will want to repair the car at the cheapest possible prices. They may even recommend that you take it to a shop of thier liking. But, they cannot force you to use any shops. You should take it to the shop that you want to use, and insist on OEM parts. Don't settle for any less. Good Luck!
And take the car to 2 or 3 different (good) shops and get written estimates from each as well has discussing with them...this will help make sure you understand what repairs are needed and how much they will cost. One shop may see damage that another does not. Present the estimate you want to go with to the insurance company.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Helios
Intermediate

Thank you all for your good advice! I am from Portland, Oregon. I was having a dilemma whether to try fix it on my own but have decided against it. I want to get it done at an authorised chevy dealer! I am still surprised that how the front end of the car survived because the rocks were bigger than bricks! lucky me they dint put a scratch on my paint. I could not risk braking because I was in the middle of the turn and there was oncoming traffic and cars behind me. Guess the best defensive driving course would be not to drive corvettes. HA HA HA. I will talk to my insurance company today and see what the say. Thank you all again.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Crush2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Helios
Thank you all for your good advice! I am from Portland, Oregon. I was having a dilemma whether to try fix it on my own but have decided against it. I want to get it done at an authorised chevy dealer! I am still surprised that how the front end of the car survived because the rocks were bigger than bricks! lucky me they dint put a scratch on my paint. I could not risk braking because I was in the middle of the turn and there was oncoming traffic and cars behind me. Guess the best defensive driving course would be not to drive corvettes. HA HA HA. I will talk to my insurance company today and see what the say. Thank you all again.
Google shows 2 Corvette shops in Portland. I would suggest, in addition to talking with the dealer, you also make a call to them or the local Corvette club to see who they would recommend for the type repairs you need:

Local results for Corvette near Portland, OR

Corvette Shoppe/GM Toys - 6.3 miles NE - 10431 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, 97220 - (503) 252-9028
Pacific Corvette of Oregon - 1.4 miles SE - 2104 SE 9th Ave, Portland, 97214 - (503) 239-0210
Old 04-28-2006, 02:47 AM
Helios
Intermediate

Thank you crush2 for the addresses. I will have to wait till the tuesday to get the vehicle inspected by the insurance guy. Like you guys told me, I am going to get estimates from all the chevy dealers in town. and am planning to get the repair done at an authorised chevy dealer.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:37 AM
MYellow3
Instructor

Helios, you said this was your first car in the U.S. but you said you are from Portland??

Are you a very young driver??

Get notified of new replies

To Drive through a Landslide

Quick Reply: Drive through a Landslide