C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Model History

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 10:42 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005ArcticWhite
White was the first color
Polo White to be exact.

A bit more trivia:

And only a handful of '53 Corvettes were built with the "shortened" chrome sidespears. GM switched to the full length versions during the model run.

Before Bowling Green became the Corvette plant in 1981, it was a Chrysler a/c plant.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:50 AM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1 millionth Corvette 1992

This photo was taken at the Milford, Michigan Proving Grounds. There were two of these cars made and one is in the musuem. That is John Heinracy and his team posing for the picture. My dad was part of that team. He is the little guy with the big beard standing in front of the driver side tire (far right).

Old 04-23-2006, 02:05 AM
APLark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Purdue94
This photo was taken at the Milford, Michigan Proving Grounds. There were two of these cars made and one is in the musuem. That is John Heinracy and his team posing for the picture. My dad was part of that team. He is the little guy with the big beard standing in front of the driver side tire (far right).

I bet he has many stories to tell!
Old 04-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APLark
I bet he has many stories to tell!
Too many stories! You would be surprised how many stories of wrecked vettes at the proving grounds .

I remember when he brought home a ZR1 before they hit production He took all my buddies for rides which made me look . I have to dig up the photos one day.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:17 AM
APLark
Racer

You can email me stories and pictures anytime. That is a part of Vette history that I would love to hear about.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:46 AM
RacerChris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mforman42
One other bit of lore. The C3 lasted so long (from '68 to '82) that many people came to think of it as the last Corvette model. In fact it almost was.

Anyway, that left the Solid axle first generation and the Sting Ray second generation as the only two before the 'last' generation. Therefore, the C2 Sting Ray became known as 'mid-year'. You'll still hear that at some Corvette gatherings. The Cx designation was never used until the C5, so C1 - C4 are purely new stuff.

In the 'olden days' we just used solid axle, mid-year, shark, and late model. to describe C1 - C4.

This is a very interesting post, keep them coming...

Although I am fairly new to the Corvette world, I was surprised to learn that HP in Corvettes was actually reduced in prior years to less than 200 HP due to the Gas Crisis.

Last edited by RacerChris; 04-23-2006 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Corvette Model History