C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin Noise in a C6 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:32 PM
lpe fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkerouac
Thanks for all the posts. I have about 1500 miles on the car so far. I took Museum delivery in Jan and stored the car in Raleigh, NC. I couldn't take it anymore so I flew down there on Friday and drove back Sat.

I'm convinced it's the tires. Road surface also makes a difference. Rte 95 isn't the smoothest road in the world. I did have the partition in my Z06 and it had the Supercar tires vs. run flats. I'm scheduled to take a trip from Mass to BG in April and then Mass to Myrtle Beach in June, so I have to get the car quieted down by then. What do think, Pilot Sports, or Yoko's??
I have a C5 with a 427 twin turbo and you'd mthink you were in an F16. When I bought my C6 lingenfelter commemorative I had them do the entire cabin with dynamat. It's the same dribeline and tires (michelin pilot sports) and you'd swear you were in a mercedes. That's how much the dynamat is worth in my book. In my discussions with Lingenfelter the C6's have a bladder in the rear wheel areas to dampen the noise as an improvement over the C5. I didn't drive the C6 prior to their work so I don't know first hand. Dave
Old 03-29-2006, 05:51 PM
tlacroix
Instructor

Default Magnetic suspension noise

Originally Posted by cthusker
OK.. I'll bite... why would the F55 suspension be quiter than base or Z51? Could the mag ride actually give you a quiter ride? I don't really see why it would but I'm interested in others thoughts on this one...
Sounds like the making of another flame war...
I really wish I hadn't made that noise remark because the difference is very, very small. Tires, exhaust, road surface and other things can make huge differences and that's what interests me.

I just finished reading a GM Engineering document on magnetic suspensions, their history and how they have evolved. It was more than I ever wanted to know or could truly understand, however, it pointed out that a vehicle would be quieter because of variable rates of suspension acceleration and deceleration, hence, road and tire noise reaching the chassis and body. At least that was my take. But certainly not the thrust of my argument.

I was also referring to not only the Z-51, (Which I would have bought but for building constraints - I changed my mind later) but also the Z06, which is much louder in the cabin (sound deadening material removed, different materials used in chassis and body and a very different transaxle). Anyway, I think, all things being equal the basic suspension or F-55, for all the reason cited, would be a bit quieter. If the Z-51 comes with different tires than the F-55, its still louder until you change them!

But PLEASE no flame wars!!! Most of the discussion was relative to huge differences in cabin noise and I've never driven a stock C5 or C6 Corvette that I considered excessively noisy. All Corvettes are wonderful cars and relative bargains. What particular flavor you prefer is up to you but they're all great cars!

Last edited by tlacroix; 03-29-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Big Jimm
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'd say the cabin noise IS fairly high .. certainly compared to my caddy. That's why I don't think the Magnaflow 14335's add any additional noise problem.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

--------------------------------

"Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American. And, we have room for but one language here, and that is the English language."

... Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Marina Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

How can anyone complain about cabin noise in the C6? I just returned from a 4,000 mile trip to Florida and the 12 hours of Sebring and never enjoyed the trip like I did this time. Played two CD's in the first 150 miles and then decided to just enjoy the car. This is the first long trip I didn't have to load up on coffee to stay awake. I am sure the luggage helped dampen the noise but there seemed to be no noticeable difference than when I only have a Lloyd's mat in the back.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:08 PM
busysignal
Racer

I have a F55,MN6 ragtop and have to say the car is very quiet. For exhaust,
I had a set of Borlas on and they were too loud, switched to Corsa Sports and they are just perfect. I also own a 2003 Caddy STS for comparison.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2005ArcticWhite
I find it more quiet than the C-5. IMHO

Same here
Old 03-29-2006, 07:58 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rgcarmack14
I have the F55 optioned C6 and in touring mode, it is quiet as a mouse.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by Marina Blue
How can anyone complain about cabin noise in the C6? I just returned from a 4,000 mile trip to Florida and the 12 hours of Sebring and never enjoyed the trip like I did this time. Played two CD's in the first 150 miles and then decided to just enjoy the car. This is the first long trip I didn't have to load up on coffee to stay awake. I am sure the luggage helped dampen the noise but there seemed to be no noticeable difference than when I only have a Lloyd's mat in the back.

We make two trips to Plam Coast Florida a year with our C6 .......... the car is just amazing. It is a pleasure to drive!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:15 AM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

z51 vert , more quiet than my 01 sl500 roadster.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:34 AM
MADMAX1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexaudio
I recommend this at high volumes:

http://www.korn.com/

LEX
AGREE LEX ROCK ON
Old 03-30-2006, 12:08 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by mkerouac
I could barely talk on the cell phone ...
That's why it took you 12 hours; The rest of us on the freeway beg you to...put the phone down and drive.

Quick Reply: Cabin Noise in a C6 Coupe