C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change XM to Sirius ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 02:53 PM
zsr22
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BCS Bet for St. Jude '09-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
That's not the only test.
Here's another one. I haven't been able to find any test that concludes that Sirius has better sound quality... only a post or two on some random forums from a few Sirius fan boys. Nothing done by experts in the field. Also, I doubt the equipment has much to do with it if you stick with name brand stuff. It's a digital data stream so it isn't like you can decode it "wrong". And the bit rate is so low and the sound quality so bad in comparison to even a run of the mill amplifier that I doubt the system itself is going to change the sound quality much. The least common denominator is the abysmal data rates that both XM and Sirius use.

Mike
My friend was using a standalone unit in his stock Tahoe. I had all MB Quart components running off a JL Audio 300/4 amplifier so I should have had the clear advantage on sound quality (it was in my Denali, same interior setup) but that wasnt the case. The only explanation I was given by my buddy at Tweeter was that my expansion box was older than my friends standalone unit. I cant think of any other variable where my friend had an advantage over me.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:55 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
XM is horrible! Sirius is so much better and more clear. I dont know about you but XM dosent even play as loud or clear as regular radio! How will it work with the radio/nav systems we have? Software upload or something?
Wheres the volume?
Old 04-04-2006, 02:56 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the Sirius channels we listened to exhibited the kind of artifacts compressed-data audio codecs generate when low bit rates are used. Most noticeable was a mid- to high-frequency swirling effect that was most evident on slow to moderately fast music with a clear high end - acoustic guitars, cymbals, and strings were the most problematic.[/I][/B]

Here's another link to an independent test

Mike
I don't have dog in this fight since I'm blessed with a tin ear and they both sound good to me

However, the two articles you link to are about 4 years old and seriously lacking in anything resembling scientific testing. The one in the cars used systems manufactured by different companies in different car. FM radios under the circumstances would sound different.

The studio article is also lacking in information about what they did or didn't do with respect to receivers to achieve an apples/apples comparison.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:03 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xs650
However, the two articles you link to are about 4 years old and seriously lacking in anything resembling scientific testing.
I don't know that most people would be interested in the "scientific" aspects such as frequency response or S/N ratios and even if they were, such tests are impractical since you'd have to feed test signals to both satellites and have them broadcast them on an available channel. Not likely to happen! In addition, you are not likely to find two identical receivers/amps that offer both/either Sirius and XM in the same model. The reviews were both done by experienced people in the audio industry and their analysis given of sound quality. I think that's probably what most readers would be interested in, so that was probably the emphasis of the reviews. The only thing that I find lacking is that a more recent test has not been done. It is possible that Sirius and/or XM have taken some measures to make sound quality better (or worse) over the last 4 years.

Mike
Old 04-04-2006, 03:20 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know that most people would be interested in the "scientific" aspects such as frequency response or S/N ratios and even if they were, such tests are impractical since you'd have to feed test signals to both satellites and have them broadcast them on an available channel.
Mike
I meant "scientific" in it's most basic form, like an accurate description of the equipment used.

In the car test the description was good enough for the reader to tell that the potential difference in sound quality due to equipment was large, but with no idea which way it would have biased the results.

The studio test lacked even that basic information.

That said, I suspect that what they observed 4 years ago -probably- did a reasonable job of describing the differences 4 years ago.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:27 PM
goingdownhill
Instructor

Originally Posted by eas
Is there a way to get Sirius intergrated into the car like XM? I have Sirius in my truck and like it better than XM.

At http://www.thesiriusstore.com you will find a link to a GM compatible tuner. Its been a long time coming and may be vapor-ware. Sirius says it will work, however, and the last update I saw said the product would be available April 10. If you email Sirius, they will put your name on a notification list for the product. Installation details are not available, and there may be a difference between the 2005 and 2006 models of C6 because - I beleive - the satellite antenna for the 2006 was moved into the side view mirrors, whereas it was on the roof of the 2005. Not sure about this detail. In any event, installation would seem to require access to the dash innards and that is not a job for the timid.

I've got Sirius and XM is my various vehicles. The news reports I heard today pegged Sirius at 4 million subscribers and XM at 6.5 million. Sound quality seems equal. I like the programming on Sirius better, but it all depends on what you want to listen to.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:58 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by goingdownhill
The news reports I heard today pegged Sirius at 4 million subscribers and XM at 6.5 million. Sound quality seems equal. I like the programming on Sirius better, but it all depends on what you want to listen to.
What's more significant, for those keeping score, is that after a slow start Sirius is rapidly gaining on XM.

In the end, having two good competing systems is good for the consumer.

Being able to integrate the other system into a car that came with one system is really nice.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Big Jimm
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I am VERY satisfied with XM. Would not consider changing.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

--------------------------------

"Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American. And, we have room for but one language here, and that is the English language."

... Theodore Roosevelt
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 PM
67C2NY
Heel & Toe

Just finished a 3200 mi round-trip to FL ALONE and i thought XM was great all the way there and back. The news channels were great to have, as well financial channels. Plus got to listen to the NASCAR race from Martinsville. What's great is that you don't have to keep scanning an AM signal to keep continuity with what you're listening to - so glad i got it on our new C6 vert. But i do agree with other comments about the volume level - something doesn't seem quite right!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:08 PM
zsr22
Team Owner

BCS Bet for St. Jude '09-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by xs650
What's more significant, for those keeping score, is that after a slow start Sirius is rapidly gaining on XM.

In the end, having two good competing systems is good for the consumer.
Exactly. Being first out of the gate only takes you so far. And yes, competition benefits the consumer!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:36 PM
ambitin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, this thread reminds me so much of the Passport/Valentine 1 pi$$ing matches of yore!

For the record, I prefer Sirius and I have a Valentine 1

I do wish that both services were an option on all cars. I'm having a bear of a time getting my sirius hardwired into the vette.

Regardless of which you prefer, how can anyone not love the music on satellite versus AM/FM radio. The number of commercials on "free" radio is staggering! That alone should have everyone who can afford it paying up the $13/month!

Justin

Quick Reply: Change XM to Sirius ?