C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ah yes, the wonderful experience of buying a corvette now a days.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:06 PM
ST31
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ah yes, the wonderful experience of buying a corvette now a days.

Ah yes, the wonderful experience of buying a corvette now a days. Here is the follow up message I sent to the dealer located in Frisco, TX off of HWY 121 after looking at one yesterday.

"I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your help this week regarding my interest in purchasing a new corvette, but I will not be buying from your dealership after the experience that I had last night.

As I mentioned during our visit I planned to bring Brenda in to look at the car as well. We stopped in last night on the way to the weekly corvette forum dinner and were greeted at the door by the salesman that had introduced me to you earlier in the day. We walked over to the black Z06 and asked to have him get the keys so she could sit in the car to get a feel for it and see how well she could see out of it. The salesman walked away and then returned about 10 minutes later with someone else. I was told by the second person that he would not get the keys to the car because he does not open the car for everyone to climb in and out of, and that I was “Lucky” that they had even “Let” me take a test drive earlier in the day in the other model. He went on to say that he would only open the car after we had agreed on final numbers. I explained that I am not interested in playing games and that I do not purchase cars that I can not even open the doors on. Brenda was in shock and upset from the way things were handled as was I.

If that is the type of experience that I should expect to receive while buying a car of that value from your dealership, what type of experience can I expect down the road when I need service. My next step is to locate a dealer that I feel I can form a relationship with and purchase my next car. Will it still be a corvette? Maybe not, this has now re-affirmed my initial concerns about the type of service I would receive after the purchase.

As I walked out I told them to be sure that they informed you that I had stopped back by and that I will be sharing my experience with the board and the local enthusiast so that others can be prepared for what to expect should they decide to look at a car at your dealership.

By the way, you may also mention to your salesman that my name is Jim Thompson, not Tim Johnson.

Regards,

Jim Thompson"

And we all wonder why GM is hurting the way they are.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

Not good. I'm glad that you told them why. They do not deserve your business. There are good ones out there. Don't change cars change dealers.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:15 PM
lagogarda
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06

Old 03-15-2006, 12:15 PM
3and8fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I feel your pain. I tried to locally to get a deal. Was told by all local dealerships "how much over sticker do you want to pay"? Went with a forum dealer and saved almost $4k. Try one of them and pick it up at the museum. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:17 PM
serious1surfer
Racer

They should have at least opened the car for you. I have sold a few Z06's and that is no way to treat a customer. I am very sorry some dealership's are like that. You have to treat a customer like he is your friend. You want to have a customer for life. Repeat and referrals, only way to sell a car or a truck.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some dealers are such idiots!

Glad to hear you told them what you thought.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Big Ron 77
Burning Brakes

While he won't be buying from that particular dealership, we will not allow him to buy any car other than a new Vette. We barely tolerate him showing up in that Supra and parking it amongst all the Vettes!!!! Jim, like last night, just have a drink, take a deep breath, and find a decent dealer. I'd check with John Page and see where he got his Z. I know it was local.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had similar experiences with sales people. The one thing they don't realize is. They need the customer to Spend money, the customer dosen't have to spend it. Like you I wouldn't do business with them. I think it's a reflection on the dealer, not the company as a whole. For every A%$ hole sales person and dealer there are good ones. The part that's missed in this story is you and your wife will still get the car of your choice, and the salesman lost a nice comission
Old 03-15-2006, 12:28 PM
serious1surfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Beach
I have had similar experiences with sales people. The one thing they don't realize is. They need the customer to Spend money, the customer dosen't have to spend it. Like you I wouldn't do business with them. I think it's a reflection on the dealer, not the company as a whole. For every A%$ hole sales person and dealer there are good ones. The part that's missed in this story is you and your wife will still get the car of your choice, and the salesman lost a nice comission
Old 03-15-2006, 12:31 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Sadly this type of dealer treatment starts at the top and goes down the food chain! I'm sick and tired of hearing it was "JUST" a sales person and not dealership policy. It's the owners or GM's job to know exactly how customers are being treated. You were polite compared to what I would have told those 2 morons. I got the same kind of from almost every dealer I spoke to about buying a ZO6! I actually had some laugh and say.. "Good luck cause you’re gonna pay big bucks"! Arrogant idiots! I finally said to myself they can take the Z and shove it! Don't need that kid of grief while spending 70 grand plus. I found a good local dealer, ordered a C6 and paid will under MSRP. I guess some of these idiots think a customer is going to have to bow and scrape to buy a Z! Not in this lifetime!

Many on this forum have said GM dealers are the weak link in GM’s bid to escape bankruptcy. Bad dealers need to be weeded out and the good ones retained. GM dealers have to clean up their act in many ways to compete. Sure there are some super GM dealers out there but not nearly enough. The lousy dealership should be the exception not the rule. I believe it’s just the opposite right now… You did the right thing with controlling yourself and writing them a letter. I would make sure you also direct a copy to GM. If everyone that got jerked around by a dealership followed it up with a complaint to GM perhaps things would change. I believe I’ve found a good dealership but only time will tell. It’s a shame that people are so turned off by some dealers that a great car isn't purchased.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:35 PM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, time for a trip to another dealer.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Wicked_C6
Race Director

Location: Beer. The cause of and solution to - all of lifes problems
St. Jude Donor '09

I don't know I'm on the fence here. There are a lot of "tire kickers" out there who take up alot of time only to "not go through the deal". I can understand a dealerships frustration. Not condone it.

People should know what its like to "sit" in a vette if they've had one or driven one earlier in the day. I can't think of a huge difference in sitting in a z06 vs a regular vette...I may be wrong.

That being said I would have let you sit in the z06...but if they had would your intention been to purchase? Going from a regular vette to a z06 in the same day strikes me as someone who's out kickin tires.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:42 PM
ST31
Drifting

Originally Posted by Big Ron 77
While he won't be buying from that particular dealership, we will not allow him to buy any car other than a new Vette. We barely tolerate him showing up in that Supra and parking it amongst all the Vettes!!!! Jim, like last night, just have a drink, take a deep breath, and find a decent dealer. I'd check with John Page and see where he got his Z. I know it was local.
Yeah, I left off the fact that I drove the Supra to the dealer on my second visit. Maybe it was discrimination.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:42 PM
serious1surfer
Racer

Originally Posted by cthusker
Sadly this type of dealer treatment starts at the top and goes down the food chain! I'm sick and tired of hearing it was "JUST" a sales person and not dealership policy. It's the owners or GM's job to know exactly how customers are being treated. You were polite compared to what I would have told those 2 morons. I got the same kind of from almost every dealer I spoke to about buying a ZO6! I actually had some laugh and say.. "Good luck cause you’re gonna pay big bucks"! Arrogant idiots! I finally said to myself they can take the Z and shove it! Don't need that kid of grief while spending 70 grand plus. I found a good local dealer, ordered a C6 and paid will under MSRP. I guess some of these idiots think a customer is going to have to bow and scrape to buy a Z! Not in this lifetime!

Many on this forum have said GM dealers are the weak link in GM’s bid to escape bankruptcy. Bad dealers need to be weeded out and the good ones retained. GM dealers have to clean up their act in many ways to compete. Sure there are some super GM dealers out there but not nearly enough. The lousy dealership should be the exception not the rule. I believe it’s just the opposite right now… You did the right thing with controlling yourself and writing them a letter. I would make sure you also direct a copy to GM. If everyone that got jerked around by a dealership followed it up with a complaint to GM perhaps things would change. I believe I’ve found a good dealership but only time will tell. It’s a shame that people are so turned off by some dealers that a great car isn't purchased.
It is the owner of the dealership or the General manager. And yes GM needs to know.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Jagcvette
Melting Slicks

Yep, I would have just walked out too. Once you start playing their games, your in for.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:47 PM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well said... I gave up after 3 dealers...

Originally Posted by cthusker

I dont buy the argument that GM cant do anything...franchise agreement or not. It starts from the top...not to excuse the dealers as well. GM and the dealers are losing big time, as I am sure this attitude extends accross the GM line. MotorTrend has an interview with a CEO of Toyota. He says the difference between Toyota and GM is
Toyota's aim is to build the best of what the customer wants; GM's aim is a quick profit.

Last edited by steve burns; 03-15-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:48 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

The guy is a real ****. The last time I visited Ft. Worth I had a good experience at an Olds dealer--now that's a hint on how long ago that was ! Anyway find another dealer sounds like good adivse.

Get notified of new replies

To Ah yes, the wonderful experience of buying a corvette now a days.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:48 PM
vettetech2
Burning Brakes

Good for you Jim, im glad you told them that, i too have had somewhat of a similiar experience with a few dealers thinking that their cars are made out of gold, change dealerships Jim, the car is worth it, dont let a few turds change your mind about this vehicle.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:49 PM
keith5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Uppity Morons is all I have to say.. BTW, my local large dealer is nice enuf. But, when I told them I was torn between the Z51 or the F55 the salesman said that I could order them together...
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 PM
C6Bill
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06

you have a PM.....

Quick Reply: Ah yes, the wonderful experience of buying a corvette now a days.