C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the original runflat tires.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:44 AM
tlacroix
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the original runflat tires.

While my 2006 C-6 has only 3,000 miles on the odometer, my reading of this forum seems to indicate that I can expect only about 15,000 - 20,000 miles from the Goodyears - if I'm lucky.

I've heard a lot of people, not only on this forum, but Corvette drivers I've met, who tell me that a set of good non-runflats will ride smoother, run quieter, handle better and probably cost less.

What are most C6 (and C-5 owners) doing when their tires wear out? I know I would be leaving myself open to great inconvenience if I got a flat without the runflats, but would love to have the advantages of the conventional high-performance tires. Is their any solution that would leave you with something to use if a tire failed (like the little spares) but allow the use of better performance tires? What are most of you doing? Also, are runflats fairly trouble free, i.e. is it worth the chance to run no spare? (cost is not my main concern, better performance is!)

Last edited by tlacroix; 02-27-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Z51 with the GY Super-Fast-Wearing-Car tires, based on wear so far I'm looking at about 12-14K miles on the front and 15-18K on the rear. Also, they aren't great in the cold and are the absolute pits on snow.

What I'm thinking about is going with a second set of wheels and running the all-season version of the GY runflats in the winter and a non-runflat performance tire in the summer - probably Michelan PS2s or Toyo T1Rs.

The logic here is that I get the best performance in the summer, I get a tire with some snow traction in case I get caught out in the winter, and I figure that a flat in the summer isn't too bad, waiting around for a rollback is a lot more of a pain in the winter.

As a bonus, I don't have to take the car in to have the tires changed - I can just truck the wheels down to the shop.

If I decide I'm willing to buy a new set every season I can always go with the Yokohama Advans - might be the stickiest tire out there, but they really wear out fast!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:00 PM
straightaxel
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I replaced my 1999 Goodyear Run Flats with Toyo's and they made a huge difference. They were not Run Flats but they lasted twice as long and ran smooth and definitely quieter. The traction was fanatastic. I now have a C6, Z51 and will be replacing the GYs with Toyo T1S this spring. I have 12K on the GYs and they are almost through. I would highly recommend Toyos for their price, longevity and performance. Keep a compressor and tire kit onboard with you and always carry cell phone so you can contact your motor club in case you have a flat.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Jagcvette
Melting Slicks

Michelin PS2!!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:07 PM
avvetteguy
Instructor

I got Falken FK451's as a replacement and they are awesome. Great water traction and very sticky on dry pavement. The tread wear on the supercar F1's is terrible so I'm very happy with these new ones.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:11 PM
TAL
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default New Goodyear tires

The stock Eagle F1 GS-2 EMTs are not that bad of a tire. They are alot better than what the last-gen runflats were on the C5s.

I think the best of both worlds is going to be the Eagle F1 GS D3 EMTs. These are a new tire and the non-runflat version is a top performer. I would think the EMT version will be the same.

The only kicker is that these tires are EXTREMELY expensive at $586/ea front and $744/ea rear. Of course these are MSRP. These tires should come down in price as time goes on.

These new tires will give you the all-out performance you are looking for with the safety and convienence of the runflat capability.

See: http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...ter=&sidewall=

Last edited by TAL; 02-27-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Mayonayze
Le Mans Master

Location: Prepare yourself, for a pride obliterating bich smack. Fairfax, VA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08
SEC > BCS 4 St. Judes '09

Originally Posted by Jagcvette
Michelin PS2!!

i had mine put on last week right before she went back into the shop and it was AWESOME!!!!! one of the best mods on my 6 to date.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:23 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Michelin PS2!!
I just ordered a set of PS2s. They are a little on the high side but everyone tells me they are well worth it.

TRR
Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Cookee
Racer

IMHO, run flats are the way to go. If cost is an issue oh well you did buy a Vette. If you like to gamble with non- run flats go for it. One flat tire experience will cure you forever and you be back on run flats.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have the Z51 GY Eagle F1 SuperCar EMTs on my daily driver C6, and plan to replace them with the base GY Eagle F1 GS-2 EMTs when they wear out, for two reasons. The base tires should last 1 1/2 times as long, and have better wet traction according to GYs Web site. The GS-2s have a treadwear rating of 330 and a wet traction rating of 10, and the SuperCars are rated 220 and 7, respectively. I got about 30,000 mi. out of the GY Eagle F1 GS EMTs on my C5, so I expect the SuperCars to last me about 20,000.

The new GY GS-2 EMTs are supposed to be quieter and more compliant than the C5 version due to GM lowering the run flat requirement from 200 mi. to 100 mi. Non-run flats are significantly cheaper and should be quieter and ride better as many here have posted, but personally, I will not give up the run flat capability.

In driving a Vette every day for the past 6 years, I have picked up a nail or screw on average of once per year. With the EMTs, its no problem to just cruise on home, and run by my local tire shop and get it repaired on my way to work next morning. Without EMTs, it would be a much bigger hassle to be stranded, have to call a wrecker, etc. I love my GY EMTs!
Old 03-09-2006, 02:27 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i like the z51 supercar tires for one reason wen hot they hook good
Old 03-09-2006, 02:33 PM
tom p
Instructor

bfg kdws are the best!!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:10 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Default These run-flats aren't bad

They weren't very good on my C5 Z51, but these work very well. I just tried a set of bridgestones, 60 miles later I took them off and put new run flats back on. Remember the PS2's Rear sizes 305/30 or 295/30 are 26.2 and 26.0 rescectively in dia. The OEM rear dia for the 285/35 is 26.9. You're giving up almost 1 inch in rear dia. BTW the PS2's aren't going to last any longer than those run-flats, and they do cost more. If that's a concern. The only way to really have any choices is to go 20" rear and 19" fronts. Or like andy green At A&A corvettes, he put 18" wheels all around and now has many tire size choices. That's on his C6 441 inch motor. I just got frustrated looking for tires that would work, and even when I did find one they were out of stock. That's also what drove me back to F1 supercar tires.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:56 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by TAL
The stock Eagle F1 GS-2 EMTs are not that bad of a tire. They are alot better than what the last-gen runflats were on the C5s.

I think the best of both worlds is going to be the Eagle F1 GS D3 EMTs. These are a new tire and the non-runflat version is a top performer. I would think the EMT version will be the same.

The only kicker is that these tires are EXTREMELY expensive at $586/ea front and $744/ea rear. Of course these are MSRP. These tires should come down in price as time goes on.

These new tires will give you the all-out performance you are looking for with the safety and convienence of the runflat capability.

See: http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...ter=&sidewall=

That said, I have 23k miles on my '05 Z51 that I bought in November of 04. The tread is just hitting the wear bars so it is time to replace the original tires. I have decided to go back with the runflat supercar tires.
They have met my needs quite well and by purchasing a set from tirerack.com, each tire will be $3and change.

My 2c.
Bill
Old 03-09-2006, 06:59 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Michelin PS2!!

Love mine !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing the original runflat tires.

Quick Reply: Replacing the original runflat tires.