C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DBS complaint denied by GM today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:09 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

intestingly I have an 06 mn6 and I had a dead battery today. car only has 637 miles on it and of course there are no shut down issues with an O6.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Flatbush_Harry

Originally Posted by ajfruscia
I got it! I really do!! This is no BS, DBS has gotten me 5-6 times, 2 different cars. My car has been in the shop 3 times once for 5 days. (NO OTHER PROBLEMS 8K miles) I’ve tested my theory for 4 months with NO DBS! Patience is key…you must follow this shut down procedure.
1) Ensure car is in reverse with e brake up prior to pressing the off button.
2) Ensure steering wheel is straight.
3) Press shut off button.
4) Before doing anything else (DO NOT OPEN DOORS) shake steering wheel to ensure it’s locked, shouldn’t be hard to do if the wheel is straight.
5) THIS IS KEY before opening any doors listen for 2 distinct clicks. (It might be relay’s clicking off, but I’m not positive) 1st click will come from the engine compartment behind the dash (center to passenger side) the 2nd will come from the steering column. Both clicks should happen about 3-8 seconds after the car is off.
6) Then exit!
This may sound strange but I’m telling you all it works!!! I am obsessed with this. It works!
If you are having true DBS episode please give this a try. If it works great if not no harm. I wish it didn’t have to come down to this, GM should fix it…my bet it’s in the steering column lock or timing of the reverse switch.
I agree with all this and do it religiously (step 7 is genuflexion). One thing I also do, after I shift into reverse, pull up e-brake and straighten wheel is to let in clutch slightly against e-brake to ensure I am really in reverse and to ensure sensors note it before shut-down. So far, so good in 1700 mi and 7 months.

and hoping you all avoid DBS (which I'm sure exists),

Harry

Last edited by Flatbush_Harry; 02-02-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dashotgun
intestingly I have an 06 mn6 and I had a dead battery today. car only has 637 miles on it and of course there are no shut down issues with an O6.
Yes very interesting!
There have been a few dead batteries in '06 automatics reported here, but this is 1st one that I've heard about in an '06 MN6.
Can you provide us with more details?
Did you find a problem, like a light left on?
Did you have the battery/alternator checked?
Please keep us up to date on your problem.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:38 PM
OttoNP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could still mess up the shutdown in an 2006 if the FOB isn't detected when your turn it off, it will stay in RUN unless you hit off again, I *think* if you leave it in ACC it will be ok (auto power down), but haven't tested that one out. Also, if you don't shift an auto to park it will kill the battery as well...

What would be idea is if someone figured out how to cause it consistently, until them it'd be hard to figure out...
Old 02-02-2006, 06:45 PM
z06monster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GM business model states 'ignore the problem, until the lawsuit'.

LOL
Old 02-02-2006, 09:17 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Interestingly enough, educated forum members should have no problem buying an '06.
The forum gets hi fives for making people aware of this problem. It's a great clearing house for things like DBS and perhaps helping to get GM off the dime on a serious problem.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:47 PM
ajfruscia
Advanced

Originally Posted by StanNH
My guess is that your success is pure coincidence. I did nothing for 10 months and my car was fine. At 13 months, with doing ALL those steps, I had my first and only DBS. Since then (11/12/05), I've done nothing special and the car has been fine. BTW, I did have relay 46 pulled by the dealer after the DBS, but that doesn't prove anything either. As far as I'm concerned, there is no cause and effect relationship that's ever been established.

ABSOLUTLY INCORRECT....I was a DBS regular. Every 2-3 weeks like clockwork 4-5 episodes (And yes I back my car into my garage). I made these changes & it's been 6 months at least w/o DBS. I'm telling you it works. I agree it's ridiculous, but if it takes me a few seconds longer to get out of my car than that's fine by me. Please don't knock it until you try it & DBS hits....
Old 02-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Rick Kasick
Cruising

I'll try it as soon as the good weather hits. I hope it works. The DBS has been a pain in the butt.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:08 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z06monster
The GM business model states 'ignore the problem, until the lawsuit'.

LOL

That has been the model since I started buying cars. Wonder how their business is doing?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:08 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
Just received the response to my complaint with GM reference DBS.

They advised “no such problem” exists if the vehicle is shut down “per the owner’s manual instructions.”

My complaint number was 1-371989408.

Is GM really working on this issue?

This reply may not be so off the mark. Judging from the great many speculated solutions from forum members including 5-10 step shutdowns, the single common denominator does boil down to only one; namely making certain the gear is in reverse as stated in the instruction manual.

Could it be that simply taking extra care (no matter how) to assure this is done, is in fact the solution to the DBS problem for the time being, in perhaps not all, but in most cases???
Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by silvertc6
This reply may not be so off the mark. Judging from the great many speculated solutions from forum members including 5-10 step shutdowns, the single common denominator does boil down to only one; namely making certain the gear is in reverse as stated in the instruction manual.

Could it be that simply taking extra care (no matter how) to assure this is done, is in fact the solution to the DBS problem for the time being, in perhaps not all, but in most cases???
That my friend is the core of the issue!
I have seen and documented evidence that the reverse sensor switch doesn't always take when going to reverse. I have documented that with every 6th to 9th shutdown in my car that has had DBS, that even after shifting to reverse, the DIC warning to 'shift to reverse' comes back on, when I shift back to neutral.
And, I believe that what you say about 'taking extra care' does apply.
If I slowly shift to reverse and let it sit a few seconds before going back to neutral, I have never had the warning come back. I believe that's these are some of the reasons that the problem is so erratic and hard to duplicate.
Some cars have an intermittently bad switch, but maybe it also takes rushing to exit the car to actually make or encourage DBS to happen.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Atascadero_Kid
Instructor

Originally Posted by cthusker
I have no idea how much money GM makes from Corvettes but that issue aside a premium car should get prompt attention for an issue like DBS. A year isn’t acceptable period. I can say anecdotally that quality issues are quickly addressed by Toyota and Lexus because I drive them. They would NEVER jerk my chain at Lexus for year with a serious issue like DBS.
Why don't you ask the thousands of Toyota and Lexus owners who have suffered engine failure due to sludgeing if they haven't had their chains jerked.

Toyota burried its head in the sand for YEARS and denied that there ever was a problem, then they quietly instituted a 'service policy" to repair the engines of those who complained loud enough.

Toyota knew they had a problem, but insisted that it was the customer's fault, even when reccomended change intervals had been followed.

A dead batterywill cause some inconvience for the owner of a Corvette, But Toyota and Lexus owners have paid Thousands to have their defective engines rebuilt or replaced.

Do a web search on Toyota and Sludge, and read the horror stories of owners who's plight has been and still continues to be denied by Toyota Motor Corporation.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Softailrider
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajfruscia
I got it! I really do!! This is no BS, DBS has gotten me 5-6 times, 2 different cars. My car has been in the shop 3 times once for 5 days. (NO OTHER PROBLEMS 8K miles) I’ve tested my theory for 4 months with NO DBS! Patience is key…you must follow this shut down procedure.
1) Ensure car is in reverse with e brake up prior to pressing the off button.
2) Ensure steering wheel is straight.
3) Press shut off button.
4) Before doing anything else (DO NOT OPEN DOORS) shake steering wheel to ensure it’s locked, shouldn’t be hard to do if the wheel is straight.
5) THIS IS KEY before opening any doors listen for 2 distinct clicks. (It might be relay’s clicking off, but I’m not positive) 1st click will come from the engine compartment behind the dash (center to passenger side) the 2nd will come from the steering column. Both clicks should happen about 3-8 seconds after the car is off.
6) Then exit!
This may sound strange but I’m telling you all it works!!! I am obsessed with this. It works!
If you are having true DBS episode please give this a try. If it works great if not no harm. I wish it didn’t have to come down to this, GM should fix it…my bet it’s in the steering column lock or timing of the reverse switch.

That's a lot of bull@#$% to go through every time you shut off the car. What happened to pulling out the key and leaving the vehicle ?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:58 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Softailrider
That's a lot of bull@#$% to go through every time you shut off the car. What happened to pulling out the key and leaving the vehicle ?
And thats why I don't do it.

You do know that C6s don't have ignition keys.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Softailrider

All you need to be concerned with is #1 and just not rush it.

Quick Reply: DBS complaint denied by GM today!