C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock C6 exhaust is pretty loud

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default stock C6 exhaust is pretty loud

Since I have been breaking-in my car, I've barely given it over 50% throttle at any point, mostly under 3,000 rpm. Car has been whisper quiet.

Today I finally started exploring into the 75%+ throttle area, between 3,000 - 4,000 rpm. Man, this thing starts to really roar when you get on it! I was surprised at how loud it was.

Interestingly, I think my wifes `03 stock Mustang GT is louder at idle and low rpm than the stock C6, however, once you wind it up a little put your foot in it, I think the C6 may be a bit louder or at least the same as the Mustang GT... at least from inside the car. With this in mind, and on a very positive note, the stock C6 has less cruising "drone" than the stock Mustang GT.

Man, I was quite concerned that I was going to wake up a nearby cop when I took off. I need to remember to be more careful since this car DOES actually make some noise, contrary to what many here would say.

Seems that the corvette team got this exhaust just right... quiet for idling and cruising, no drone, but yet a nasty roar when you put your foot down. Personally I think this is the perfect arrangement for daily use. Of course it may not sound as "cool" as a stock `67 with sidepipes when rolling along at 5 mph, but... guess it all depends on what's more important to ya. For daily driving and long distance cruising, I think the stock exhaust is perfect. It's quiet when you want it to be, and also loud when you want it to be.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Ucraz-E
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your hearing the motor more than the exhaust when you get in to it. But either way, it does wake up nicely. I'm happy with the BB route 66 I installed, little deeper without drawing too much attention. Try to find someone local so you can hear them in person.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-27-2006, 06:07 PM
barney
Racer

I think the stock exhaust is pretty load,it's just harder to hear because there is more soud deading material in the back.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

...Stock exhaust sucks!
Old 01-27-2006, 06:20 PM
HOFFIE
Safety Car

Old 01-27-2006, 06:29 PM
CaptainMike
Pro

Stock exhaust loud??? Your old lady must not yell at you as much as mine does, thats loud........ Do you spend alot of time in the library???
Old 01-27-2006, 06:29 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
...Stock exhaust sucks!
Stock intake sucks.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Rube66
Racer

Originally Posted by Vet
Since I have been breaking-in my car, I've barely given it over 50% throttle at any point, mostly under 3,000 rpm. Car has been whisper quiet.

Today I finally started exploring into the 75%+ throttle area, between 3,000 - 4,000 rpm. Man, this thing starts to really roar when you get on it! I was surprised at how loud it was.

Interestingly, I think my wifes `03 stock Mustang GT is louder at idle and low rpm than the stock C6, however, once you wind it up a little put your foot in it, I think the C6 may be a bit louder or at least the same as the Mustang GT... at least from inside the car. With this in mind, and on a very positive note, the stock C6 has less cruising "drone" than the stock Mustang GT.

Man, I was quite concerned that I was going to wake up a nearby cop when I took off. I need to remember to be more careful since this car DOES actually make some noise, contrary to what many here would say.

Seems that the corvette team got this exhaust just right... quiet for idling and cruising, no drone, but yet a nasty roar when you put your foot down. Personally I think this is the perfect arrangement for daily use. Of course it may not sound as "cool" as a stock `67 with sidepipes when rolling along at 5 mph, but... guess it all depends on what's more important to ya. For daily driving and long distance cruising, I think the stock exhaust is perfect. It's quiet when you want it to be, and also loud when you want it to be.

Question: Are you perhaps over 50?
Old 01-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Ucraz-E
Melting Slicks

Tough crowd

Old 01-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Braced
Burning Brakes

stock C6 exhaust is pretty loud

You're kidding, right?

Old 01-27-2006, 06:40 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

...Stock exhaust sucks!

14,000 miles on my Z51 6MN and the stock exhaust sounds great!

Old 01-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CaptainMike
Stock exhaust loud??? Your old lady must not yell at you as much as mine does, thats loud.....Do you spend alot of time in the library???
Actually, I do! That is, I avoid loud sounds as much as possible and seek quiet places. I'm an audio engineer, I put great focus on protecting my hearing since I need to depend on my ears for very critical listening tasks. My hearing is very sensitive.

Having said that, I still LOVE the sound of an open header race car, that's truly music to my ears (as long as I have my attenuation plugs in). I agree that the stock exhaust is VERY quiet in general for a high performance car, but I was simply surprised at how much noise the car made today upon my first time laying into the pedal. It DOES make noise!

I use this car as a daily driver, and though it would be neat if it was louder, I think the loudness would start to be annoying on a daily basis, especially on long trips with passenger. As it is, our Mustang GT is already a bit on the noisy side for long trips, I find it a bit annoying after several hours of continuous driving.

If I was just going to use the car for short local trips only, weekends, car shows, etc, I probably WOULD throw on a meaner exhaust system.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:45 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Stock intake sucks.

I'm ready to Procharge.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

I'm ready to Procharge.
Procharge...? Not to change the subject, but I still have a little trouble understanding why people are interested in trying to make a stock C6 go faster. I mean, that's cool and everything, but.... guess it's just a sign of the times.

Back when I was hot-rodding (only 15 - 20 years ago), I was trying to take typical mid 1970's cars and get them to run in the 13's... back then that seemed really fast for a street car. After all, a typical late `70's 3,800 pound Trans Am or whatever could barely get out of the 16's in stock form... so you HAD to modifiy... was a NECESSARY step if you wanted to have any fun at all.

But now, in 2005, I buy a brand new C6 that runs in the 12's in stock form!!! This is nirvana! I don't need to modify anything and I am going faster than ever before! It's really like a dream come true! Thus I have no desire to modify anything.

But I guess to the newer generation of hot-rodders, 12's is no big deal and you're not cool unless you are way into the 11's. It's all good! It still blows my mind though.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:03 PM
rick g
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rube66
Question: Are you perhaps over 50?
HEY!! watch the over 50 comments! if you're lucky someday you can say you are.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:26 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vet
Procharge...? Not to change the subject, but I still have a little trouble understanding why people are interested in trying to make a stock C6 go faster. I mean, that's cool and everything, but.... guess it's just a sign of the times.

Back when I was hot-rodding (only 15 - 20 years ago), I was trying to take typical mid 1970's cars and get them to run in the 13's... back then that seemed really fast for a street car. After all, a typical late `70's 3,800 pound Trans Am or whatever could barely get out of the 16's in stock form... so you HAD to modifiy... was a NECESSARY step if you wanted to have any fun at all.

But now, in 2005, I buy a brand new C6 that runs in the 12's in stock form!!! This is nirvana! I don't need to modify anything and I am going faster than ever before! It's really like a dream come true! Thus I have no desire to modify anything.

But I guess to the newer generation of hot-rodders, 12's is no big deal and you're not cool unless you are way into the 11's. It's all good! It still blows my mind though.

Times do change, I'm 50 but some kids never grow up they just want to go faster and faster and.......

Get notified of new replies

To stock C6 exhaust is pretty loud

Old 01-27-2006, 07:36 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
After reading the comments here about the "uncoolness" of the stock exhaust, I am further convinced that a FEW SELECTED customers received special prototype accessory exhaust systems made by Corsa when the cars were built at Bowling Green. The General probably wanted some unbiased feedback from a few of the cool CF guys. Too bad for you fellows with the lame regular exhausts.

I just got on mine today. It wanted to play...the air was cold creating high charge density...it was ready to romp. I kept hearing this bad-azz exhaust note following behind me and bouncing off other cars and stuff. I'm thinking, "Is that MY car?...I'm going attract unwelcome attention."
Old 01-27-2006, 07:46 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
After reading the comments here about the "uncoolness" of the stock exhaust, I am further convinced that a FEW SELECTED customers received special prototype accessory exhaust systems made by Corsa when the cars were built at Bowling Green. The General probably wanted some unbiased feedback from a few of the cool CF guys. Too bad for you fellows with the lame regular exhausts.

I just got on mine today. It wanted to play...the air was cold creating high charge density...it was ready to romp. I kept hearing this bad-azz exhaust note following behind me and bouncing off other cars and stuff. I'm thinking, "Is that MY car?...I'm going attract unwelcome attention."

Hmmmm.....Some of us uncool dudes with the "lame regular exhausts", now have those on a shelf in garage storage, thank you very much .
Old 01-27-2006, 07:52 PM
97GTS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vet
Seems that the corvette team got this exhaust just right... quiet for idling and cruising, no drone, but yet a nasty roar when you put your foot down. Personally I think this is the perfect arrangement for daily use.

It's not too loud, not too quiet. Perfect for a daily driver.

Quick Reply: stock C6 exhaust is pretty loud