C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally diagnosed my Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:54 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Finally diagnosed my Oil Consumption

My odyssey finally has an answer. My C6 vert has around 17k miles on it (got it last February). From about 1,500 miles on I have complained regularly to my local dealer that the car consumes too much oil. For months I got the run-around about how my consumption was considered normal by Chevy. Finally I got them to actually do a consumption test where they sealed the thing and had me come back at intervals. Months later I finally proved that I am consuming more than even Chevy's BS 1 qt for 2k miles yardstick. The test showed that I went through 2 qts in 2.5k miles.

Even then they tried to tell me that this was "normal" especially because I have an MN6. It was at this point that I exploded as their statement pretty much meant that ANY oil consumption was valid simply because I drive a stick! Finally I was able to work with the service manager (a new guy from Honda/Acura...which is why this thing turned for the better) who immediately stated that my consumption was excessive.

After thanking him profusely for being the first guy in 7 months to ever admit that this was the case, he took the car to do some more significant testing (which is all that I was asking for since the beginning). Turns out that two of the cylinders (one on each side) are leaking 5% of the oil which he said is actually a hell of a lot.

So, after all this Chevy BS about normal consumption and the pitfalls of owning an MN6, it was finally proven that the car has a problem. I guess they will have the car for a week or so while they fix this issue. I can now only hope that they don't make it worse.....

My first domestic model in 20 years and it took less than a year to remind me why I have avoided them like the plague and will again after this.

Last edited by S2K; 01-24-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:04 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad to hear that they are fixing it. I have followed your post and I know how frustrating it must be. Did they say what the fix is?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:09 PM
SA HEAT
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After this much run-around I might consider pushing for a new motor instead of having them tear into the one you have. But you might have to get nasty with them. Just a thought......good luck.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:12 PM
GTC
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

It is sad to say that this sounds like typical GM behavior: deny that the problem exists as long as you can. Maybe if people believe their lies/deception or if they drag their feet long enough, the car will be out of warranty before you have to fix it on your own dime.

At least they are finally stepping up to the plate to fix it.

It took me less than a year to realize I should avoid them like the plague, too.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:19 PM
SA HEAT
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTC
It is sad to say that this sounds like typical GM behavior: deny that the problem exists as long as you can. Maybe if people believe their lies/deception or if they drag their feet long enough, the car will be out of warranty before you have to fix it on your own dime.

At least they are finally stepping up to the plate to fix it.

It took me less than a year to realize I should avoid them like the plague, too.
GTC, I've been watching your misery for about a year now. Why haven't you involved a lawyer with your C6 problems? I've seen vehicles replaced here in Texas for less than what you've gone through. Just curious.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:21 PM
KILR-Z51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Glad to hear that they are fixing it. I have followed your post and I know how frustrating it must be. Did they say what the fix is?

Its your O-rings or piston rings, they were never seated right thats why you are getting that blow by, Not sure if you order this Vette bran new or did it already have a couple of hundred miles on it when you bought it.

I ordered my 07 Z06 and when it comes in i will seat the rings as soon as the car warms up.

In first gear take the RPMS up slowly to about 5k RPMS and let off the gas and let the engine slow the car, Repeat this twice in each of the first three Gears and the rings will seat properly and the Car will dyno at a much higher RWHP than the ones that dont do this. ( Do this cycle twice )

Also this must be done with in the first 20/30 miles max or its to late to get the best possible seat on the Rings, There was a link on the forum about 6 months ago on this.

Last edited by cvette4081; 01-25-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:25 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I feel your pain. I got my car the last week in September, it breaks on the way from buying it, gets towed again a week later, and they say there is nothing wrong with it. After the fourth trip to the dealer in four weeks, they agree to replace the car. Guess what, I still don't have the car, its only been three months. It was built Dec 9 (approx) at the dealer since Dec 27, and they still need more time to "do the paperwork".

I should have kept the Porsche.

Last edited by timd38; 01-24-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:29 PM
The Garage Master
Le Mans Master

So how do they fix it ring job?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:35 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2K
Finally I a was able to work with the service manager (a new guy from Honda/Acura...which is why this thing turned for the better) who immediately stated that my consumption was excessive.
Poor guy, he has been sent off to a secret re-education camp just south of 6 Mile in Deetroit. When he comes back he will drool a lot, but will be able to clearly say
"No" to any customer request for help.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:46 PM
KILR-Z51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Triple Black C6
So how do they fix it ring job?

Tear down the motor and put new rings in it.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:10 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cvette4081
Its your O-rings they were never seated right thats why you are getting that blow by, Not sure if you order this Vette bran new or did it already have a couple of hundred miles on it when you bought it.

I ordered my 07 Z06 and when it comes in i will seat the rings as soon as the car warms up.

In first gear take the RPMS up slowly to about 5k RPMS and let off the gas and let the engine slow the car, Repeat this twice in each of the first three Gears and the rings will seat properly and the Car will dyno at a much higher RWHP than the ones that dont do this. ( Do this cycle twice )

Also this must be done with in the first 20/30 miles max or its to late to get the best possible seat on the Rings, There was a link on the forum about 6 months ago on this.

I believe you are correct about the rings. I believe that will be the likely fix. They promised to keep me apprised throughout the week with their findings.

To answer your question, the car was delivered new and had only 2 miles on the odo. Thanks for your break-in advice. I will surely do that after getting the car back. Providing the car runs that is...
Old 01-24-2006, 09:12 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xs650
Poor guy, he has been sent off to a secret re-education camp just south of 6 Mile in Deetroit. When he comes back he will drool a lot, but will be able to clearly say
"No" to any customer request for help.
I was glad to get him early before he succumbed to the power of the dark side....
Old 01-24-2006, 09:20 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

My wife just asked a really good question that I thought I would get your opinion on.

Should I get some sort of extension to the warranty based on this kind of work? Is the nature of this kind of fix something that GM should consider extending my warranty (at no cost to me) for?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:25 PM
KILR-Z51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by S2K
I believe you are correct about the rings. I believe that will be the likely fix. They promised to keep me apprised throughout the week with their findings.

To answer your question, the car was delivered new and had only 2 miles on the odo. Thanks for your break-in advice. I will surely do that after getting the car back. Providing the car runs that is...

I am all for babying my Z when i get it that first 500/600 miles, But when you get your Vette back make sure the car is warmed up and then do the RPM thing.

All that gas pressure in your engine is what seats the rings when they are brand new when you back off the gas once you have taken the RPMS up ( Just dont do WOT ), Once you seat them follow the owners manuel on break in procedure.

( Oh i forgot your drive terrain is already broken in )
Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Well stay away for BMW and Porsche, they have bad oil consumption problems and engines that seize.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

I hope they fix it so it's perfect. If not just keep building up days out of service till it hits 30 (this includes weekends so Friday drop off's at the dealer are a good thing) then lemon it...you should end up with a new 06
Old 01-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cvette4081
Its your O-rings they were never seated right thats why you are getting that blow by, Not sure if you order this Vette bran new or did it already have a couple of hundred miles on it when you bought it.

I used a method very similar to this on mine when I picked it up at the NCM. One difference is I limited the max RPM to 4k beginning with only 1/4 throttle starts. After about 4 to 5 runs at 1/4 throttle I then went 1/2 throttle for a few more runs. After that I varied the rpm's on the way back and kept the speed and rpm's down.

At the first oil change at 1500 miles the oil level was right on the money. I did add 1/2 quart before I changed it again one year and roughly 5200 miles later and it was just below the full mark when I changed it.

When I did a baseline dyno the shop said it was one of the strongest stock C6's that they had run.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally diagnosed my Oil Consumption

Old 01-24-2006, 09:37 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K
My wife just asked a really good question that I thought I would get your opinion on.

Should I get some sort of extension to the warranty based on this kind of work? Is the nature of this kind of fix something that GM should consider extending my warranty (at no cost to me) for?
I would be relentless about getting this, if they are unwilling to give you a new engine.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:57 PM
KILR-Z51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Brett Hunter
I used a method very similar to this on mine when I picked it up at the NCM. One difference is I limited the max RPM to 4k beginning with only 1/4 throttle starts. After about 4 to 5 runs at 1/4 throttle I then went 1/2 throttle for a few more runs. After that I varied the rpm's on the way back and kept the speed and rpm's down.

At the first oil change at 1500 miles the oil level was right on the money. I did add 1/2 quart before I changed it again one year and roughly 5200 miles later and it was just below the full mark when I changed it.

When I did a baseline dyno the shop said it was one of the strongest stock C6's that they had run.

Im getting the 07 Z06 with a red line of 7k but the 4k RPMS will work for me too, Maybe i will just take it up to around 4500 on the RPMS but no more than 5K.

BTW glad to hear about that STRONGEST stock C6 that they have seen.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:26 PM
GTC
Safety Car

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Originally Posted by S2K

If you press them, and it is highly probable that you could lemon your car, they may give you an extended warranty for free. You'll have to go through Chevy's customer service to get it. If it is just a rering, I wouldn't count on it. I don't know of anyone who had an '01 oil eater who got a free extended warranty just because they reringed it, but it may have happened.

They gave me one for all the crap I've gone through. Now I'll spend the next 6 years making it cost Chevy more to keep my car on the road than it would have cost for them to buy it back. Well, that combined with no new GM vehicles purchased by me (I was averaging 1 new GM vehicle per year for the last 8 years), but those numbers never get entered into a spreadsheet.

Quick Reply: Finally diagnosed my Oil Consumption