C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onstar for 06

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onstar for 06

Just drove wife's 06 Caddie w/onstar. Punched the button to make a call and was shocked when onstar asked for the number complete (not one number at a time--followed by confirmation). I always get lost giving the number so slowly but the 06 fixed that.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

According to the info. I got from somewhere, but can't remember where, if you have to give the number one digit at a time, that's an Analog/Digital-Ready system, which my 2005 C6 has.

If you have to give the entire number at once, that's a Dual Mode (Analog/Digital) system.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55

So. I'm guessing when we upgrade to the new onstar whenever they make the offer we will get this new option. It would be worth the upgrade just for that.

So did the 06 c6 get the new onstar?

Last edited by Tin Star; 01-22-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Jock Doc
Intermediate

To all concerned: the onstar in my 2005 LMB vert was upgraded to digital last week without a hitch. Your chevrolet dealer can obtain the updated module from GM without delay.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:18 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tin Star
Just drove wife's 06 Caddie w/onstar. Punched the button to make a call and was shocked when onstar asked for the number complete (not one number at a time--followed by confirmation). I always get lost giving the number so slowly but the 06 fixed that.
The 2006 GM models have digital OnStar with the new continous dialing feature.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Jagcvette
Melting Slicks

Never use it. Hands free cell phone devices are sooo much better! Chevy should have put them in the vette like they do other models.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jagcvette
Never use it. Hands free cell phone devices are sooo much better! Chevy should have put them in the vette like they do other models.
OnStar is hands free.

BTW, if you have OnStar, don't forget that there is a way to store a nametag (same as speed dial). Then you just tell the OnStar operator the name of the nametag instead of calling out all those numbers.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe
OnStar is hands free.

BTW, if you have OnStar, don't forget that there is a way to store a nametag (same as speed dial). Then you just tell the OnStar operator the name of the nametag instead of calling out all those numbers.
Those of us with 05's who got onstar, got the royal onstar shaft. It's pretty much useless hardware... through $700.00 in the trash as far as I'm concerned. They may have well put a gun to my head and take my money instead... At least it would be an admission that I was robbed.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:22 AM
Jagcvette
Melting Slicks

OnStar is hands free.
But its also limited to your car. Don't want to have to give everyone two different numbers to try and reach me at, hoping that I'm still in the car. Plus don't want to have two different cell bills etc. Its a good concept, just outdated. Its like having an old fashioned carphone instead of a mobile cell phone. To keep up with the times, they should coordinate with the cell phone companies to allow your cell phone access to their system thru bluetooth. One phone number, one bill, one access.

Last edited by Jagcvette; 01-23-2006 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:51 AM
SC TROJAN GRAD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tin Star

Old 01-23-2006, 08:03 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagcvette
But its also limited to your car. Don't want to have to give everyone two different numbers to try and reach me at, hoping that I'm still in the car. Plus don't want to have two different cell bills etc. Its a good concept, just outdated. Its like having an old fashioned carphone instead of a mobile cell phone. To keep up with the times, they should coordinate with the cell phone companies to allow your cell phone access to their system thru bluetooth. One phone number, one bill, one access.
BMW and Acura to name a couple have Bluetooth capability.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:46 AM
FAA-ATC
Instructor

I heard somewhere that the Corvette telephone used Verizon for connection and that if you had Verizon service already it could share minutes with the existing plan. My wife and I share minutes on our family plan, so adding a third number (the 'vette) won't be much of a hassle, especially if there is a way to tell my cell phone to "forward" to the car when I get in. Yes, I agree, bluetooth would be better, but I don't like to talk much on the phone, even with my bluetooth headset, while I'm driving, and frequently turn off my cell phone when I get in. So, I see the Corvette phone as a convenience when I want to call out. I may change my mind, but I intend to try it. Anybody else who already has Verizon care to comment?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
Those of us with 05's who got onstar, got the royal onstar shaft. It's pretty much useless hardware... through $700.00 in the trash as far as I'm concerned. They may have well put a gun to my head and take my money instead... At least it would be an admission that I was robbed.
I use it every week as a telphone. I also have the safe-and-sound service. If my airbags deploy and I'm unable to call for help, OnStar will call for me. If I need my doors unlocked, I've got that service. Might be worthless to some, but not to me.

Did you find out anything about OnStar before you bought it? Lots of people spend money when they don't know what they're buying. That's at least partially your fault.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jock Doc
To all concerned: the onstar in my 2005 LMB vert was upgraded to digital last week without a hitch. Your chevrolet dealer can obtain the updated module from GM without delay.

Was it replaced as warranty of some kind or did you extend your onstar contract?
Old 01-23-2006, 05:01 PM
ZR1Owner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FAA-ATC
I heard somewhere that the Corvette telephone used Verizon for connection and that if you had Verizon service already it could share minutes with the existing plan. My wife and I share minutes on our family plan, so adding a third number (the 'vette) won't be much of a hassle, especially if there is a way to tell my cell phone to "forward" to the car when I get in. Yes, I agree, bluetooth would be better, but I don't like to talk much on the phone, even with my bluetooth headset, while I'm driving, and frequently turn off my cell phone when I get in. So, I see the Corvette phone as a convenience when I want to call out. I may change my mind, but I intend to try it. Anybody else who already has Verizon care to comment?

Yup. See this post for answers on the Vette phone and making it part of a Verizon family plan. Thanks.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...61&forum_id=74
Old 01-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Jock Doc
Intermediate

You pay for an additional 3 year subscription (added to the remaining months of your original contract), about $530. After committing, the installation is "free". I chose the digital upgrade given the improved calling features of generation 6.1 and I am a verizon wireless subscriber.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I use it every week as a telphone. I also have the safe-and-sound service. If my airbags deploy and I'm unable to call for help, OnStar will call for me. If I need my doors unlocked, I've got that service. Might be worthless to some, but not to me.

Did you find out anything about OnStar before you bought it? Lots of people spend money when they don't know what they're buying. That's at least partially your fault.
I bought the car off the lot. It already had Onstar.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Wingrider
Burning Brakes

The Verizon/OnStar system works really well. The cell phone is Verizon, and the OnStar is Verizon, both on one bill. Also, no charge to call wife on her Verizon from Vette. Although the Vette gets its own number, you can call forward from your cell phone to the car if you want, so you do not miss a call. Actually not a bad system. Further, as the OnStar works through the car's audio system, the sound quality is fantastic. It also mutes the radio for incoming and outgoing calls. I found it a good option.

Get notified of new replies

To Onstar for 06

Quick Reply: Onstar for 06