C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:16 AM
aTX427

Default Z51 - worth it?

Looking at the items that come with the package, I am thinking that I would rather have Billsteins and oversized sway bars. How big of a difference are the springs compared with standard springs?
Old 01-13-2006, 09:26 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default springs

I have z51 and love it.Do a search,someone did the bilstein switch a couple of months ago and posted on here.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:49 AM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would MUCH rather have a factory tuned suspension than a pieced together one. This has got to be one of the most cost effective factory options in automotive history.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:56 AM
alps
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffgdula
I would MUCH rather have a factory tuned suspension than a pieced together one. This has got to be one of the most cost effective factory options in automotive history.
I have driven a C6 w/ standard suspension and now have a Z51. Standard suspension felt fine for dailydriving...I did not push it as it was on a test drive and didn't have time/ space to do it. I don't plan on tracking the car, but the Z51 feels solid and is not "harsh" in daily driving. Plus w/ all the upgrades, I felt the package was worth it. If you can, test drive some and see what you think.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by john_sblendorio
Looking at the items that come with the package, I am thinking that I would rather have Billsteins and oversized sway bars. How big of a difference are the springs compared with standard springs?
But that's a good question, what are the Z51 spring rates compared with stock?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:01 AM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is more than shocks, sway bars and springs. Dont' forget the engine, transmission and power steering coolers and the different tranny gear ratios and brakes. I don't know why everyone thinks they can do better after marketing this, but if you like go ahead it is your $.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:21 AM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Try to find someone who gets Z51 and regrets it - most of us just love this option .... if you are going to drive it hard at all whether on the track or back roads get this option --- if you are more of a cruiser then base or F55 are worth a look. I probably would skip the add-ons you mentioned.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:22 AM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't know how long you plan to keep your car, but I can tell you from experience, at re-sale the first question asked will be(after color)does it have Z51. I have owned a lot of cars and options are always a good thing at re-sale. I have a great dealer who let me drive both and yes the Z51 is stiffer, but what the heck, its a Corvette. I love my Z51 and would order it again. Best of luck with your decision.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by john_sblendorio
If you are just changing out springs and sways that is only $600 worth out of $1700 package and is probably worth it. On the other hand, some of the hard core racing types additionally upgrade the tires to non-run flats and upgrade the brakes. In that case you paid $1700 for a different tranny and coolers, probably iffy at that point.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:31 AM
RansRods
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What a Joke!!!

Like GM is going to put the best shocks, sway bars, brakes, coolers on a package when there in the business of making as much as they can off every unit. Look how they low ball there suppliers! Most people that have the Z51 package probably have a pile of take off parts in the corner of there garage.
Factory tuned? What is that all about!!
Read the Z06 form those guy's have even a bigger pile in there garage.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
Try to find someone who gets Z51 and regrets it - most of us just love this option .... if you are going to drive it hard at all whether on the track or back roads get this option --- if you are more of a cruiser then base or F55 are worth a look. I probably would skip the add-ons you mentioned.
I would have regretted Z51 if I lived in Flagstaff where the roads are all cracked and heaved concrete. Here in Havasu it's fine, but if I lived in Flag it would be F55, or maybe even no Vette!
Old 01-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Jagcvette
Melting Slicks

Ohh Jeezz, here we go again.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:43 AM
SC TROJAN GRAD
Melting Slicks

well said.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffgdula
The frame is facotry designed and tuned for rigidity, etc but that doesn't really apply to sways and shocks. There is no one "perfect" sway and shock combo that will provide the desired feedback for every type of driving. With a non-active suspension you have to sacrifice comfort and ride quality to reduce body roll and travel, etc.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:47 AM
serendipity
Racer

Z51 is absolutely worth it in terms of money. The ride is a bit more firm, but it's a Corvette, not a Caddy

However, I unfortunately had to compromise because of timing. It would have been a tough 6 week wait if a dealer had an allocation waiting around. For me, in order to ensure I could get GMS pricing, having an unknown wait just wasn't an option.

I don't regret not having it. It's a fantastic bang for the buck if you can get it, but if your circumstances make waiting less of an option, it's not as though the base coupe is a dog in terms of performance or handling. You won't be unhappy with or without it
Old 01-13-2006, 10:51 AM
railgun
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If you want to run in a stock class (SCCA or the like), I think the Z51 option makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, it's probably just one more step along the way to fully loaded. The F55 might be better for a daily driver or cruiser.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:04 AM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

People generally buy the Z51 for the feel of the suspension, hopefully they think about the rest of the package (brakes, gearing coolers etc.) which is the real reason to buy it. However, it is not true that the F55 is a "cruiser" suspension, it is vastly superior to the Z51 suspension. On the C5, equal tires all around, it lapped faster than the Z51. Look, in this game it really depends what hits the pavement first, your tires or your ego. GM is not stupid in that regard.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 - worth it?

Old 01-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I would have regretted Z51 if I lived in Flagstaff where the roads are all cracked and heaved concrete...
Yes. I can fully understand. I just had my Z51 in Queens, NY yesterday for the first time. Anyone who knows the 5 boroughs knows that the roads are total SH*T. The Z51 was NOT happy at all. The ride was almost unbearable after a while, lots of noise created by the wheels going over all the bumps. Very rough and uncomfortable ride. I was forced to go quite slow and go to great lengths to avoid as many of the serious obstacles (huge potholes, ruts, heaves, sunken manhole covers, assorted debri) as possible. I never realized how many curse words I could loudly expel in such a short amout of time.

I know I've said here on the forum in the past that the Z51 is not that harsh... and for TYPICAL NORMAL ACCEPTABLE roads (relatively smooth roads with occasional bumps, potholes), I'd still say that the Z51 is fine. Fortunately, I use the car mostly on "normal acceptable" type roads. But, for those who either live near or are forced to drive on VERY BAD UNACCEPTABLE type roads, such as those in the 5 boroughs of NY, I would strongly advise NOT getting the Z51, and going with the softest suspension you can get. Not sure what is "softer", the base suspension of the F55 in tour mode. Get the softest.

I really feel bad for those who are forced to use such horrible roads on a regular basis. It's a crying shame, it really is. I was born and raised in Queens. Roads were always bad, but now it's just totally out of hand. After my experience yesterday, I feel that I cannot take the car back there... at all, ever. The Z51 and bad roads just DO NOT blend. What a sh*thole that place has become. I was thoroughly disgusted. I'm so glad I no longer live there.

This little rant above: I'm not putting any fault on the Z51... I am putting fault on the darned roads! Just want to make that clear.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:08 AM
holdin5aces
Burning Brakes

Default give me the money honey

Z 51 is mostly for the 'its got to be fully optioned crowd'. Read the above posts, how many are trackers regularly taking 100 mph sweepers at full throttle? Or diving into twisty's with the back hung out? They tout their tuned suspension at car shows in mall parking lots. So how many Z 51's are driven hard enough to utilize the package? I'm guessing, just guessing mind you, less than 10%. Speed limit on my way to work is max 45 with the standard make a right make a left behind the car in front of me. A Western Flyer wagon could handle those turns. How much handling do I really need? Note to flamers 'really need' not 'really want'. But, for the drive it only on weekends and micro fiber detail bunch who want to thrash through the backroads after spending all day with a clay bar, likely Z 51 suits them fine. And for the I have to have everything buyer mentality. Not meant in a perjorative sense. Different strokes. My decision tree was what could I do with the money spent on Z 51 as an alternative. Same with the NAV and OnStar gadgets. It was a mighty long list. As for the first question asked on resale post above, I've owned a half dozen Corvettes that I sold and the first question asked was 'are you the original owner'? Then are the miles right? Finally, do you have the service records? Smart buyers, those folks.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually, I'd be among the first to call on the factory tuned suspension thing, but remember that they did manage to get the C6 around the 'ring in less than 8 minutes, something that only a dozen or so production cars can do. I'd assume the car they did this with had the Z51 package - in fact, I'd go so far as to guess that the Z51 package was tuned for this specific goal. After all, that 8 minute mark puts the C6 into the "supercar" area in many people's minds.

On the practical side, the Z51 does feel quicker and more agressive, so if that's what you like it's a very good thing. On the other hand, if you're a little laid back go with the base suspension. Or the magnetic selective ride - doubtless the coolest as well as most flexible option.

Last edited by Buffy; 01-13-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Z51 - worth it?