C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:25 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard a roomer that if you dont get the Z51 package GM will not accept the car back when you go to trade it in, they are urging other automakers to do the same...
Another roomer, F55 is for old people, or is inferior.
Now for a fact, 99% of the guys that talk about the differences don't have a clue, and never sniffed a track.
Worth it? Yes, if you want it. Do you need it? No way.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RansRods
First I think you may be in the wrong form, or maybe you have expertise in all Corvette’s with your back ground. Reading the whole statement always helps before you respond and make a statement. The fact that most of the folks from Oregon don't have to pay to have our oil check or our air changed in our tires and we perform our own mods and can do better than status quo. I sold my 05 Z51, And there is no dout you can do Better!! If a person is not inclined go with Z51 that is the safe way.
LOL, whatever, I look at most clubs in oregon as a joke. Cruise to a winery, go apple tasting... woo hoo. Most of the cars don't have anything butt appearance mods.

I'm all for modding, but truth of the matter, the Z51 package will satisfy the average driver with out having to go elsewhere and buy all the suspension goodies.

I see you "declined" the Z51 option because you didn't want to wait

Originally Posted by RansRods
Instead of letting GM and the powers that be dick with the z51 option availability, I opt Not be held hostage.
As far as my Corvette background, I won't bother wasting your time since you apparently know everything from using LT1 and LS1 engines in rods.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:42 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

WOW!! How about everybody buys what they want.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AK's Z
100%, F55/Base suspension w/Z51 pieces are not the same.
There is no voodoo, witchcraft or "tuning" applied at the factory. A base suspension car with Z51 components will handle IDENTICALLY to a Z51 equipped car.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:27 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Now hold on, how are you guys going to try and have a Z51 discussion without DSOM Z51?

Lets get down to business:

Originally Posted by OregonC6
The growth of the Z51 "legend" is taking a life of its own that now extends to areas that the factory does not go.

I understand that this option includes somewhat different suspension components that some people like and others do not depending on their driving conditions. I know about the coolers. We are all aware of the very slight ( please correct me if I am incorrect ) gear ratio difference. We have read factual posts that suggest that the 1/4 mile performance difference attributable to the "special" ratios ( or is it one ratio? ) amount to .1 seconds.
Factual posts where?

Look at the list of the quickest bone stock C6 reported on this board. There is not a bone stock non Z51 C6 anywhere near the best recorded Z51 1/4 mile times. Let alone as close as .1 seconds.

Gear ratios (:1): Base vs Z51
First: 2.66 VS 2.97
Second: 1.7 VS 2.07
Third: 1.30 VS 1.43
Fourth: 1.00 VS 1.00
Fifth: 0.74 VS 0.71
Sixth: 0.50 VS 0.57

And the 5th gear gives the Z51 a higher top speed than the non Z51 base models as well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&postcount=327

As far as this 1 tenth difference business. This did not come into vogue until it was recognized that the Z51 would be difficult for the masses to obtain due to the constraints. . In order to prevent people from walking out of the dealerships which could not get the Z51, and instead buying other cars, all of a sudden we hear "only one tenth difference." This in effect made it easy to induce the customer to "settle" for a lesser, non Z51 C6. "Just stick some sway bars on it and you will have virtually the same thing." The dealer without the Z51 allocation would tell the buyer as he was signing the papers. "We can do those right here."

If there is only 1 tenths difference, then why not settle for the lesser car? The car which the dealer has in stock. Only problem is that if one took that same lesser car, and put 3.90s in it, it would improve its quarter mile times by more than a mere 1 tenth second, all else equal.

You'd have to go beyond 3.73 gears, and just below 3.90s in a base C6 to get the same acceleration performance in a base C6 as you get in an MN6 C6 Z51, all else equal.

Find a manual or automatic bone stock base C6 with a reported 1/4 time of better than 12.7. Anywhere on the internet, or anywhere else for that matter. You cannot even find anyone who will lie and claim a 12.5 in a bone stock non Z51 C6.

But Z51s have run 12.4s. 1 tenth difference? Thats laughable.

The original information from GM. Look at the 0-60 times:

Car And Driver got 4.1 out of it (Dec 2004 page 52.) 0-100 in 9.6 and 0-150 in 25.0

Look at the braking distances and the lateral acceleration.

Simply put, the Z51 outperforms the base C6. And not by a little bit.

A person would think we were talking about the difference between a grocery getter 327 and the L88!

However, here's where I think the "legend" is getting out of hand: Z51 engine differences. Please enlighten me so that I understand what these are. So far I have come across no differences anywhere between the Z51 and base engines.
Thats the beauty of it. Equal drivers, the MN6 C6 Z51 outperforms the base model by a clear margin with no changes whatsoever to the engine's power output.

Chevy realized that overall performance superiority does not necessarily mean that BHP has to be increased. That Chevy gave such a performance edge to the Z51 without altering the power plant is a stroke of genius. And is what makes it arguably the best performance bargain of all the C6s including the Z06. Sure the C6 Z06 is a better car. But it ain't $30K better.

The C6 Z06 would not come out for another year, but the Z51 served to whet the appetite of those who bought their cars with factory performance in mind.

Every automotive publication worthy of note that you can pick up which discusses the C6 prior to the intro of the C6 Z06, centered around the Z51 and it's performance attributes. Not the base model. Why is that?

In the C6 one size fits all engine wise except for the Z06 which is almost a different car altogether IMO.

I personally wish that GM would make Z51 an option that would really make a difference in everyday driving conditions.
The Z51, like the C5 Z06 before it, was not made for the person buying his Vette for going back and forth to work and nothing else. It was made for those who were interested in performance. How much performance is needed, even in the base model, for "everyday driving conditions"? Who needs a Corvette for "everyday driving conditions"?

So far all I really know about it is that the brakes are noisy, the tires are poor in cold/wet conditions and it's no faster under street conditions than any other C6. If somebody thinks it is faster under street conditions then please enlighten us all.
High performance brakes on other cars are known to be occasionally noisy as well. But more importantly, non Z51, base model C6s have also been described right here on this board, as having noisy brakes as well.

I don't think that " cold/wet conditions" are the best conditions to drive any sports car. If I am going to be driving under "cold/wet conditions" then I take my SUV.

I wouldn't go off roading in a limo, why would I drive my Vette to the extent of it's capabilities or anywhere near that, under "cold/wet conditions" ?

As far as faster under "street conditions"???? More nonsense and gibberish from the anti Z51 crowd.

As far as who is "faster under street conditions"

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...2&forum_id=103

Nuff said. The Z51 is quicker and faster on the TRACK which is where it is supposed to be better.

I remain unimpressed by the .1 sec. 1/4 mile performance "edge".
If it were only a tenth, I would not be impressed either. But the real track results obtained so far, indicate that it is more like 2 tenths. Maybe more.

The option package IMO is inexpensive because it doesn't really add much to performance on the street. As far as bragging rights IMO it's no big thing. In fact, to borrow a suggestion from one of my all time fav movies.....Z51 is a legend in the owner's minds. ( thanks Harry ) In a highly specialized track situation in hot weather it probably is superior.
I see you like street racing huh? If you want to talk straight line performance on the "street" or performance handling through the twisties on the "street" with cops, other cars, animals, debris, etc on those "streets" then perhaps one of the ricer forums would be better suited to your taste.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-13-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:36 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Good driver, average driver. That will make the difference!!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:03 PM
SDCEB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the standard suspension, but I think that the Z51 package is quite a bargain for what you are getting. I'm sure that I would have been pleased with it as well.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:04 PM
SMJBA
Burning Brakes

Old 01-13-2006, 09:21 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
Now hold on, how are you guys going to try and have a Z51 discussion without DSOM Z51?
Who the hell are you?

Look at the list of the quickest bone stock C6 reported on this board. There is not a bone stock non Z51 C6 anywhere near the best recorded Z51 1/4 mile times. Let alone as close as .1 seconds.
I haven't been to the track yet, so what your point? You can't speak for everyone.

Nuff said. The Z51 is quicker and faster on the TRACK which is where it is supposed to be better.
I challenge you to a heads up race 100% stock, no tires, no tune, no intake, etc You pick the track! I wanna see a Z51 whoop my ***. We racing for money?
Time to put you money where your keyboard is.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:27 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CYA-Vett
Who the hell are you?

I haven't been to the track yet, so what your point? You can't speak for everyone.

I challenge you to a heads up race 100% stock, no tires, no tune, no intake, etc You pick the track! I wanna see a Z51 whoop my ***. We racing for money?

Old 01-13-2006, 09:33 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I chose the Z-51. GM will get their money out of those who purchased the f-55 when it starts breaking down and the shocks etc need to be replaced. These cars dont have a very long warranty unless you buy the extended warranty and who knows what will happen.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:35 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Who the hell are you?
Who the hell are you???

Where did I? And the point was "Look at the list of the quickest bone stock C6 reported on this board. There is not a bone stock non Z51 C6 anywhere near the best recorded Z51 1/4 mile times. Let alone as close as .1 seconds."

I don't race for money. I work for it.

But when the weather breaks perhaps we can race. Indeed it would be fun. I'll race you. But not for money. You are in Allentown. I am in Steeler country. Look forward to it.

If you are used to racing manuals, you have an advantage right there, hence I won't put any money up.

But the point is, EQUAL DRIVERS, EQUAL DRIVERS, A Z51 EQUIPPED CAR IS QUICKER AND PERFORMS BETTER THAN A BASE C6.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-13-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:46 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joeking
GM will get their money out of those who purchased the f-55 when it starts breaking down and the shocks etc need to be replaced.
1. Where is it documented that the F55 shocks do not last as long as the Z51's?
2. I paid $54,000 for my car, I'm not going to whine if I need a shock some day. If you can't afford a shock, you shouldn't have bought a Vette.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:53 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Every Penney of it !
Old 01-13-2006, 09:54 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

But the point is, EQUAL DRIVERS A Z51 EQUIPPED CAR IS QUICKER THAN A BASE C6.
For Stock cars. But who keeps their Vette stock?
The longer gears make it easier to launch with higher HP. Hence the non-Z51 tranny on the Z06.

I'm very used to racing manuals, I had over 500 passes on my Z06...

Nice color car by the way
Old 01-13-2006, 10:03 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

For Stock cars. But who keeps their Vette stock?
The longer gears make it easier to launch with higher HP. Hence the non-Z51 tranny on the Z06.

I'm very used to racing manuals, I had over 500 passes on my Z06...

Nice color car by the way
Well, this one I am going to keep stock. Or near stock. At least I plan to anyway. Though I am ordering a shift light next week.

My C5, an A4, had all the bolt ons. It was running low 12s when I got rid of it. Only heads and cam were left to do (that and going to a built transmission) and I was about to pull the trigger on a H/C package from ECS when I decided to use the money for the C6.

Having had the Z06 and 500 passes under your belt it is clear that you are no novice.

This is my third Vette, and the only one with a manual transmission. Makes me wonder why I wasted the money on the automatics. I am having fun learning to drive it.

And hope to sharpen my skills as well, as the car far exceeds my current driving ability.

You chose a great color as well.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-13-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:05 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I test drove both before buying. I was used to almost 400 hp and 4.10 gears in my C5, so when I drove the base C6 the difference was noticeable...at least to me. When I drove the Z51, it felt more like what I was used to as far as acceleration was concerned, so I bought one...and the other goodies were just an extra benefit.

I still have the C5 in the garage and if I had bought the base C6 coupe, I know I'd have still been kicking myself...but that's just me.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 - worth it?

Old 01-13-2006, 10:06 PM
yoman
Instructor

It all doesn't matter unless you have Z51 emblems.

Check out what I found!!! Free Z51 emblem contest!!!

Last edited by Grumpy; 01-17-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Richie-Rich
Advanced

I agree... Z51... What a great ride
Old 01-14-2006, 12:25 AM
holdin5aces
Burning Brakes

Default mi amigo

Originally Posted by SellingBMWforC6
Kind of crankey aren't we? Not all of us want to drive a ride that looks like it was built for Roger Rabbit. I think I'll stick with my Z51 and leave the toon toys to you.
So what does your Z 51 ride look like? Is it different than mine? Unless you put a nickel and dime ebay sticker on your car. Ah, that is a blasphemy, eh?

Quick Reply: Z51 - worth it?