C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Camp, Looking Over The Fence At The C6 Camp

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 90 Posts

Default C5 Camp, Looking Over The Fence At The C6 Camp

Greetings C6 Owners,

I own a C5 2001 convertible with 15,000 miles and all the options for it's time. I've checked out the C6 a couple times to see if I should be looking to move up into the current model Corvette convertible.

I am impressed with the car in every area mechanically/technically. But I am having trouble with styling, both inside and out. Please don't be offended by my comment. I am asking those of you who had trouble with the new styling but have moved into a C6 anyway.

My question to you is.......Has the C6 styling grown on you over time? Or are you still looking at the C5 wondering if you made the right decision?

I like the C6 styling. Nothing wrong with it. But I love the C5 styling much more, inside and out. I'd hate to reinvest just to find myself unhappy. My finances would not be able to survive the hit to go to a C6 and then back to a C5.

Thanks for your opinions,
Ron
Old 01-10-2006, 04:18 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't own one, but even the Pontiac rear exhaust surround has grown on me, and let me tell you that's saying a lot!
Old 01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my '02 Black/Black C5 for a VR C6 in Sept. The C6 is better in every way--except The exterior styling. Like you I like the C6 but I loved the C5. What is important to you? Better power, handling, more refined or body style? I had trouble with the decision too. That's why I didn't buy until Sept.
Good luck with your decision
Old 01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I love the C5, inside and out. I might even still prefer the looks of the C5s interior over the C6s actually but the overall quality is far superior on the C6 (C5 was quality too though IMO) and the C6s exterior styling, though not exponentially better in all ways, is still much sharper/prettier IMO. I really like smaller/shorter cars and the C6 wins in that area.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:35 PM
gotogolfinvette
Intermediate

I did not own a c5 but have friends that do. I was back and forth on buying a used c5 or new c6. I did not really like the look of the c6 at first but the more I looked at it the more I liked it. That is saying something since I am the type that usually the more I look at something the more common it becomes and the less I like it. I opted to spend the more money and buy a c6 and am glad I did.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Just a thought, no jab, no agenda. I don't have a C6 yet, but it is coming soon! I am looking at the Corvette because of the styling. I could not have afforded a C4 without impacting my financial goals, but I thought it was a beautiful car and would have loved one in the day. I could have bought a C5 but did not care for the styling (large rear end compared to the front), so I bought a 911. I love the C6, I think it is the best looking Corvette in years (honestly I still think the C4 is prettier).

I think resale may show that used C6 buyers like it even more than the C5.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Tropical'67
Drifting

Once you own a C6, your C5 will look old and outdated. The C6 is lean and tight and a great new look for Corvette.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:00 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer
Greetings C6 Owners,

I own a C5 2001 convertible with 15,000 miles and all the options for it's time. I've checked out the C6 a couple times to see if I should be looking to move up into the current model Corvette convertible.

I am impressed with the car in every area mechanically/technically. But I am having trouble with styling, both inside and out. Please don't be offended by my comment. I am asking those of you who had trouble with the new styling but have moved into a C6 anyway.

My question to you is.......Has the C6 styling grown on you over time? Or are you still looking at the C5 wondering if you made the right decision?

I like the C6 styling. Nothing wrong with it. But I love the C5 styling much more, inside and out. I'd hate to reinvest just to find myself unhappy. My finances would not be able to survive the hit to go to a C6 and then back to a C5.

Ron
Why would you even consider any car if you have trouble with the styling????

As you said "Please don't be offended", but I find the C4 and C5 Gen Vet, the least desirable of designs. Last Vet I owned (for 15 years) was a 1975 L-48.....lousy performance, but nice flowing lines as the C6.
C4 and C5 too boxy and more Camaro like in fit and finish.

Your problem lies in the fact that you are comparing it with what you own and feel comfortable with. Best to evaluate any vehicle not with it's predecessors but with it contemporaries. C6 is best value for the money in comparison to new cars that are in the same league performance wise !!!!

Last edited by RBYCC; 01-10-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:05 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, the C5 looks outdated in comparison. It is beautiful, but...

The front and rear overhangs are crazy. The pop-up headlights, while up, look bad. The rear end looks enormous and the panel doesn't fit as well as on the C6. The wheel gap/spacing on the C5 is bad compared to the C6. The C6 is more modern in terms of styling themes and execution with its taut shape and many creases.

The overall package really makes the C5 look dated. Plus, the creases make the view out over the hood awesome!

That being said, the C5 is still a gorgeous car... especially in Z06 form!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:07 PM
ASZ2222
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wheelsetc
Once you own a C6, your C5 will look old and outdated. The C6 is lean and tight and a great new look for Corvette.
I loved my C5 vert but the C6 is awesome. I don't miss my C5 at all.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:14 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I never had a problem with the way a C6 looked to begin with.

It did take a little bit of time to get over the non disapearing headlight though. Not a big deal.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:14 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I had 4 C5s over the years and loved every one of them. I held out until the 2006 models started hitting the streets and good prices were available on the leftover 2005s. I was still not 100% sure it was the best thing to do but the perfect car showed up on my local dealer's lot so I took the plunge. One thing that held me back was I have to run a front plate and it took a long time before third party companies came up with a solution I could live with. Since that day C5s just seem dated. Nearly everything about the C6 is better, some just a bit better -- some a LOT better (try driving one at night and then tell me about the lights!). Do I ever regret it? Not one single minute! Three months and 2000 miles without a single problem. Life is good...

Last edited by BigJoe; 01-10-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:18 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

And I also do not wish to offend C5 owners.I could have easily bought a C5 but never did because at least in my perception it was not something I ''needed'' to own. Where you are hoping and wondering if the C6 will grow on you, there are a lot of us who were flat out blown away by it. It doesn't have to grow on us as we only bought this generation because of the styling.

In the end do not buy anything if you need it to grow on you. It is like marrying someone who has faults or habits that annoy you and soon will drive you nuts,
Old 01-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just moved from my 03 Z06 to my 06 Coupe. I always liked the C6 styling but was never in love with it. However, since buying it I have come to appreciate it's lines much more now that I've had a chance to look at it every day. I agree that the interior is kind of bland but it is functional. Other than that the C6 is better than the C5's I've had in every way. It is truly an incredible Vette.

If I were going to purchase a Vette based solely on styling I'd buy a C3 as I think they are the most beautiful Vettes ever made. I think that's one reason I'm really starting to like the C6 styling. I see a lot of C3 in the lines of the C6.

Last edited by Corvette SSX; 01-10-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
And I also do not wish to offend C5 owners.I could have easily bought a C5 but never did because at least in my perception it was not something I ''needed'' to own. Where you are hoping and wondering if the C6 will grow on you, there are a lot of us who were flat out blown away by it. It doesn't have to grow on us as we only bought this generation because of the styling.

In the end do not buy anything if you need it to grow on you. It is like marrying someone who has faults or habits that annoy you and soon will drive you nuts,

I am in complete agreement with Shooter.

Plus at the risk of offending; many compare the C6 styling with that of some current sports cars. I always had a problem with how much the front end of C5's resembled the Trans Ams of the period which is what kept me from getting one.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Bud Gordon
Just a thought, no jab, no agenda. I don't have a C6 yet, but it is coming soon! I am looking at the Corvette because of the styling. I could not have afforded a C4 without impacting my financial goals, but I thought it was a beautiful car and would have loved one in the day. I could have bought a C5 but did not care for the styling (large rear end compared to the front), so I bought a 911. I love the C6, I think it is the best looking Corvette in years (honestly I still think the C4 is prettier).

I think resale may show that used C6 buyers like it even more than the C5.
I re-read my post and although there was no agenda, there was no point! I meant to say to try the C6, if you don't like it trade it back. I don't think you will be out too much $$.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:35 PM
ttomczak
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer
Greetings C6 Owners,

IMy question to you is.......Has the C6 styling grown on you over time? Or are you still looking at the C5 wondering if you made the right decision?

Ron
I am a former C5 (Y2K) owner, I STILL love the look of the C5, and was torn between a 04 Black C5 Vert vs a 05 coupe... I went with the C6 because its a pretty slick ride, better from a structure standpoint than my C5 was, I do like the look and feel inside better (its close though), the outside lights are worlds better than the C5 (I had spent over 2K in lights with the Euros, Specter works, and BP lights).

As to styling, the C5 is flat out sexy and good looking, the C6 has some pretty good looks as well, but I still give the edge to the C5 (I love sprial(sp) grey)...

BTW, my 2 cents and 2 bucks will get you a coke at most machines...

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Camp, Looking Over The Fence At The C6 Camp

Old 01-10-2006, 05:38 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Corvette SSX
If I were going to purchase a Vette based solely on styling I'd buy a C3 as I think they are the most beautiful Vettes ever made.

Taste is such a personal thing; the Corvettes I like best are the 1961 C1 and the 1967 C2 (roadster only, not the coupe). But then, I graduated from high school in 1964, so, . . . . .

Lee, The Clevite Kid
Old 01-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have both a '00 C5 FRC and a '05 Z51 C6 (also owned a 1971 LT1 coupe, and 1975 coupe). At first, I didn't care for the styling of the C6 compared to the C5. C5 still looks more exotic and flowing (look at Ferrari), where as C6 seemed too disjointed, a conglomeration of disconnected styles. However, the body lines come to life with the right paint and wheels IMHO, and I came across a loaded MSM coupe with Z06 style wheels that I really liked, so I bought it. Bottom line, if you have to ask others opinions of what looks good, I wouldn't make the commitment. You're the one who has to look at it and drive (in) it, so you're the one whose opinion matters. If you're not sure, you're not ready IMO.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:46 PM
jlog323
Racer

This is exactly how I felt when I first saw the C6. I thought the C5 was so much more stylish, etc. (And I've had a '67, '74, '76 and weekend '72.) So I went shopping for a 2003 or 2004 and test drove a few to boot with intent to buy.

As the months past, I started growing more and more acclamated to the C6 styling, and to make a short story, wound up oredering a 2006 coupe from Kerbeck in December.

I think that any generation Vette will eventually make the change from modern styling/engineering cue to retro cue, and be beautiful for its own reasons. And I agree with another post that the "older" style C5 may seem outdated compared to the C6. This doesn't mean it is, only that it may seem that way to someone who finds the C6 to their liking, or because it can't compare side-by-side to the C6 in engineering, etc.

Wasn't that true for all Vettes when a new generation was introduced?

The C6 is an awesomew car, as is the C5, as was the C4, C3, etc. when they were introduced. They all have their place in this icon's history. But this C6 takes it, appropriately, to a new level, not to be compared to other Vettes, but to other cars of this auto generation. It is quite a ride.

Do what makes you feel good, but my sense is that you want the C6 but don't want to betray the nostalgic attachment to previous generations. Well....... the C6 will be a previous generation soon enough.

Drive whatever you buy in good health, and don't look back

jlog323

Quick Reply: C5 Camp, Looking Over The Fence At The C6 Camp