Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
UncleRobb
CF Senior Member

Default Driving a US Corvette in Europe

I am currently living in the US and I drive a C5. Since I might go back to Europe (Germany) soon and since I don’t want to be Vette-less I wonder what my options are.
1. I could take my 2001 C5 to Europe and try to register it there. The German inspection is very strict. What would I have to modify to pass? To my understanding, in Germany cars are not allowed to use the same lights for the turn and break signals. Would I need to convert to Euro style tail lights or could I get an exempt and drive the car as it is?

2. I could buy a (new) C6 in the US. Would I be able to get the Euro version with different tail lights, FM radio (different so-called emphasis)? Would the navigation system work in Europe? Would the factory warranty be in effect in Germany? Can I get something as an extended warranty in Germany?

3. Of course buying the car in Germany would be least troublesome but probably also the most expensive option with € 53.836,21 (about US$ 64,600) + tax for the C6 Coupe basic MN6 version. This number is to be compared with US$ 44,900 + tax in the US. Did a forum member buy a C6 in the US and took it to Europe?
Thanks, Robert
UncleRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
silvertc6
CF Senior Member

Robert,
I shipped my 05 to the UK and drove it in Europe over several years. No problems. Must indeed be converted to European specs and this does include changing the tail lights. Not difficult or expensive and was done by Vauxhall (GM in Europe with trained Corvette mechanics). Now I am back in the US,have a C6, and would say that it is somewhat better suited for Europe than the C5, if this makes a difference in your decision.
Good luck!
silvertc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:31 AM   #3
achilds
CF Senior Member

Take yours with you, buying a car in Europe is expensive.
achilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:23 AM   #4
gota07
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Drop SteveGermany a PM. He could give you a good idea of the requirements.
gota07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:12 AM   #5
Jagcvette
CF Senior Member

Are you going over as a Fed employee affiliated with the military? If so, you can register your vehicle with the military and not have to worry about the European specs. Actually though, the European specs are not that much different than US and only require relatively minor changes, depending on what country you will register the vehicle in.
Jagcvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:53 AM   #6
Corvette Maniac
CF Senior Member

koenvoortman koenvoortman

Yep, Only the rear lights and a side turning signal (front fender) will be required... and I believe the DRL's have to be disabled...
Corvette Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:59 AM   #7
Another Yellow
CF Senior Member
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

The C6 Navigation works perfectly in Europe. When I went to the 24 Hours of LeMans last year with the C5/C6 Registry, three cars had Navigation. All that was needed was the European Navigation disc. No other changes were necessary. It sure made travel from one city to another a whole lot easier.

One vote for buying a C6 here and shipping it over.

Frank

Another Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #8
HighPerformanceLS1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
The C6 Navigation works perfectly in Europe. When I went to the 24 Hours of LeMans last year with the C5/C6 Registry, three cars had Navigation. All that was needed was the European Navigation disc. No other changes were necessary. It sure made travel from one city to another a whole lot easier.

Can you tell me through what method you shipped it over and how much it cost along with any other expenses in bringing your Vette over?

I've had a similar idea to bring my ride over for a little bahn and Nurburgring running but never knew someone who did.

Thanks!

Last edited by HighPerformanceLS1; 01-03-2006 at 01:32 PM.
HighPerformanceLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
Another Yellow
CF Senior Member
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPerformanceLS1
Can you tell me through what method you shipped it over and how much it cost along with any other expenses in bringing your Vette over?
I was only the passenger, and at the last minute. I'll ask the driver and get some info for you.
Another Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #10
HighPerformanceLS1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Yellow
I was only the passenger, and at the last minute. I'll ask the driver and get some info for you.
Thank you!
HighPerformanceLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #11
own2vettes
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I shipped my 05 to the UK and drove it in Europe over several years.
Just curious how you have managed to drive an 05 over "several" years when it has only been 06 for about 2 1/2 days, even if you take into account time zone differences.
own2vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #12
own2vettes
CF Senior Member

I think I've figured it out: You meant to write C5 instead of 05.
own2vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #13
silvertc6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by own2vettes
I think I've figured it out: You meant to write C5 instead of 05.
Indeed I did mean to write C5. Thanks
silvertc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #14
Steve Germany
CF Senior Member

I am associated with the Military so I did not have to convert the car to German standards. You can get an international plate but that is only good for a month (allows you to buy a US spec car and drive it in Europe).

I do not think that I would try to convert the car to German standards - you will need headlight washers and most likely new headlights in addition to the side markers.

If something goes wrong with the car there could be a problem getting warranty service as well.

German Corvettes

I put mine in a container but I would just use a roll on roll off ship if I had it to do over again.

Last edited by Steve Germany; 01-03-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Steve Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #15
2muchhp
CF Senior Member

Default Corvette in Europe

We shipped our Corvettes over last June and also several years before that. I'll be glad to answer any questions if you send me a PM

JM
2muchhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #16
troy144
CF Senior Member

troy144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #17
UncleRobb
CF Senior Member

Thanks to all who replied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertc6
Robert,
I shipped my 05 to the UK and drove it in Europe over several years. No problems. Must indeed be converted to European specs and this does include changing the tail lights. Not difficult or expensive and was done by Vauxhall (GM in Europe with trained Corvette mechanics). Now I am back in the US,have a C6, and would say that it is somewhat better suited for Europe than the C5, if this makes a difference in your decision.
Good luck!
Would it be possible to do the conversion in the US, respectively order a Euro model and drive it in the US? I suppose that US officials are less strict with cars than are the countries of the European Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Germany
I am associated with the Military so I did not have to convert the car to German standards. You can get an international plate but that is only good for a month (allows you to buy a US spec car and drive it in Europe).

I do not think that I would try to convert the car to German standards - you will need headlight washers and most likely new headlights in addition to the side markers.

If something goes wrong with the car there could be a problem getting warranty service as well.

I put mine in a container but I would just use a roll on roll off ship if I had it to do over again.
No, I don't belong to the US military. I didn't know that in Germany cars are required to have headlight washers. This wasn't the case when I still lived there, i.e. in 2000.

Could I get warranty service in Europe for a C6 that I bought in the US?
UncleRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #18
888usa
CF Senior Member

It very easy to get the car converted to euro spec & you don't need to convert the headlamps to have washers on them.
Most people bring them to England & they pass the SVA test to make them legal in europe The German test is a lot more changes than than the UK need pass the car in the Uk & it can be driven legal anywhere in Europe. it will cost about $2000 for everything in the Uk & no the warrranty would be no good in Europe but Sat nav works.
I live in England & own a C6
888usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #19
LTC Z06
Get Some!
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRobb

Could I get warranty service in Europe for a C6 that I bought in the US?
Yes you can.
LTC Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #20
Corvette Maniac
CF Senior Member

koenvoortman koenvoortman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRobb
I didn't know that in Germany cars are required to have headlight washers. This wasn't the case when I still lived there, i.e. in 2000.
The headlight washers are required with Xenon lights, because when the lens is dirty the light can be diverted all around (or something like that) and could blind oncoming traffic...

You might need to change/alter the unit tho, because you need a "city-light" wich is a small bulb. But maybe there are other options...

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Corvette Maniac; 01-04-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Corvette Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:30 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Driving a US Corvette in Europe

Tags
aan, alphen, cadillac, corvette, de, europe, factory, germany, hepdesk, rijn, warranty