C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving a US Corvette in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Yes you can.

The Opal dealer in Stuttgart handled the warrenty service for GM. That was because GM still delt with military sales - which has now ended.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:45 PM
UncleRobb
Racer

Meanwhile I contacted the European Corvette importer...

Dear Sir, Dear Madam:

I am a German living in the USA and I am considering of purchasing a Corvette C6. Concerning this, I have two questions:

1. There is a 3 years/36,000 miles warranty on General Motors vehicles. If I decided to go back to Germany and take the car with me, would I be able to get warranty service in Germany?

2. Would I be able to purchase a Euro-version of the C6 that I could also drive in the US before I shipped it to Germany?

I look forward to your answer which will considerably help me in making a decision.

Thanking you in advance.

Sincerely,
Robert Gdanitz
... and obtained the following answer...

Dear Mr ***,

We received your homologation data and/or document request.

Based on the information provided, we understand that the vehicle concerned is a US specification model which has been produced for the US market. Therefore, we would like to advise against the intention to import the vehicle because of possible dissatisfaction as a result of the below mentioned situations.

BASIC VEHICLE DESIGN AND APPROVAL
The vehicle is designed and approved to US safety and emission standards which normally differs from European EC/ECE standards. This results in difficulties obtaining approval and vehicle registration in Europe. Basically it is not possible to simply certify compliance with EC Directives or ECE Regulations for US specification vehicles, since the US standards differ in content and level from those of the EC/ECE. In view of the harmonized EC standards in the EU market, it could be very difficult or even impossible that the local European authorities accept US specification vehicles.

CUSTOMERS SATISFACTION
The (basic) design of the vehicle is adjusted accordingly both to meet consumer demand and also to meet current safety/traffic regulations in each market. This means that the vehicle performance, handling and driveability may differ between the European and the US market which could create problems with guaranteed continued customer satisfaction.

PARTS AVAILABILITY
Parts and data are not directly (and sometimes not at all) available for US specification vehicles at the local distributors and/or repairers. This would most certainly result in the general vehicle maintenance and repair proving more difficult and time consuming than with that of a European specification model. This may disappoint or frustrate the customer.

Actually there is a 3 years/36,000 miles warranty on General Motors vehicles. This warranty has to work also if you move with your car to Europe.
The problem is, this is an American warranty and the conditions of the European one are different.

The C6 that you can buy in America has US specifications, the C6 with European specifications is only delivered in Europe.

We trust to have informed you sufficiently.

With kind regards,

Cadillac & Corvette Europe Homologation Helpdesk.

Cadillac & Corvette Europe B.V.
Homologation Helpdesk
P.O. Box 616 > ?> 2400 AP . ALPHEN A/D RIJN > ?> The Netherlands Tel. : +31 (0) 172 245 424
Fax.: +31 (0) 172 475 096

Website: www.cadillaceurope.com <http://www.cadillaceurope.com/>
E-Mail: homologation@Cadillaceurope.com <mailto:homologation@Cadillaceurope.co m>
Is this and should I go ahead and get order a new C6 or would taking this car to Germany be the beginning of a nightmare?

Thanks, Robert
Old 02-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

If you plan on buying a second car I would go for it. You just need to be prepared for long down time. Owning a C6 here is a once in a lifetime experience and life is only as good as you make it. I put 1k miles on mine before I shipped it. I would try to do the NCM delivery and put some miles on her before I shipped it.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:56 PM
Matt Walker
1st Gear

Default Ship Vet to Europe for vacation

Originally Posted by 2muchhp
We shipped our Corvettes over last June and also several years before that. I'll be glad to answer any questions if you send me a PM

JM
I'm planning a 2020 Europe/Belgium/Germany/France Le Mans trip with my C5. I'm thinking RORO out of Baltimore but I don't know much more than that at this point. What do you do about breakdowns or towing? shipping home if dead car. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-04-2019, 07:04 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Start a new thread, Junior

Quick Reply: Driving a US Corvette in Europe