C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning MP3s for the NAV - tricks and tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 10:50 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Burning MP3s for the NAV - tricks and tips

I thought I would start a thread for those of us who have been playing with burning MP3 CDs for the NAV system with the new firmware upgrade.

After some help here - and from the net, I think I have it nailed. I can get FOLDERS with NAMES and spaces with complete song names and artist information -it is VERY SWEET.

Here are some results - first of all, this first shot is of the FOLDERS VIEW for 8 beatles albums I put on one MP3 CD - note the spaces in the name for the album "let it be" - also note although you can't see it in this shot there is a scrolldown bar on the LH side of the screen to see all 8 FOLDERS (ALBUM NAMES)

This second shot is of the actual song names within the folder for REVOLVER - note what works and doesn't ....also note the little FOLDERS icon on the RIGHT HAND side - pressing that will bring the menu back to the first screen I have above.

Ok - here is how I did it - I used the latest version 6 of iTunes which I downloaded ... I used this alone for EVERYTHING ...

A couple of hints - when I burned my first CD it came out without the folders -but then another one I burned DID HAVE the folders - the difference seemed to be when I SORTED by folder name (top of screen -see below) - THEN, iTUNES would create the FOLDERS using the ALBUM NAME!!

EDIT (New addition) : Note - In the original post I had some song names missing when played on the NAV unit - turns out these names were TOO LONG ... when I kept the names below 22 characters ALL the SONGS now appear - See "Here, there, and Everywhere" in the iTunes View above and Missing from the 2nd NAV Screen shot of the files listed on the album (Song 05) when viewed on the nav - I shortened this name (and others) and reburned the Disk and all songs now appear on the NAV.

Here is an example of the song detail

Note that when the CD first starts playing it will start with this song detail - to see the folders you need to press the TRACK SELECT button

EDIT:Also - one final thing I did before burning the CD - I selected ALL the songs in the project, then RIGHT CLICK, then CONVERT ID tags and selected Version 1.0

Someone also pointed out that protected iTunes downloaded will not convert to MP3 without going through gyrations.

This is what worked for me! Also worked for IMATION disks and cheapo HI-VALs I had around the house!

Last edited by tjfontaine; 12-30-2005 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Aw man!!!!!!!! Now that is sweet. I am about to get started right now. You have 8 different folders for each of 8 different Beatles albums.

The thing I have to do is convert about 75 of the songs in my iTunes library to MP3. Some of them evidently are not and I cannot burn these to disc.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:23 PM
ZR1Owner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DSOM

2 ways I can think of to resolve that:

1) Burn your songs that are not MP3 to a CD using regular audio dis burning (e.g. Windows Media Player). This just makes it aregular CD that holds about 15-20 songs. Then use that CD and rip those songs back into your library as MP3 format.

or

2) I use Music Match to make a CD as a "Data" disc, and I get the same functionality of MP3, with all the folders, ad none of the format issues.

Good luck
G
Old 12-29-2005, 11:26 PM
U2bassAce
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

You are the man!!!! This thread has been bookmarked and I recommend it to be added to FAQ!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:47 PM
rmreid
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I also used iTunes and it is where I got most of my music for my iPOD...
I am good up to this part in your instructions above:

"Also - one final thing I did before burning the CD - I selected ALL the songs in the project, then RIGHT CLICK, then CONVERT ID tags and selected Version 2.3"

I selected all of the songs I wanted to burn to a CD-R, where do I right click?
My CD's burned fine and play on my NAV unit but I don't get any of the Titles or song names

TIA for helping me find the missing step(s) in my process
Old 12-29-2005, 11:55 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

RM -

Select all of the songs ... then just RIGHT CLICK in the middle of the list of songs - you can try this with just one song first - select a single song- then RIGHT CLICK on that song - you will see a number of options with the RIGHT CLICK button - the 5th things down (in version 6) will be CONVERT ID3 TAGS ...

Also - when you are READY to burn - go to the LH menu where you have been building this new PLAYLIST for burning - RIGHT CLICK on the playlist and pick "BURN PLAYLIST to DISC" ... make sure you have setup iTUNES to burn an MP3 CD - go to EDIT - PREFERENCEs - ADVANCED - the BURNING TAB and pick MP3 CD

Right before you do the burn go to the HEADINGS for ALBUM and SELECT THIS - it should ORDER your playlist for you by ALBUM - it appears this is the TRICK to also ensure the FOLDERS are created using the ALBUM NAMES
Old 12-30-2005, 12:34 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Book marked------
Old 12-30-2005, 01:19 AM
JAB210
Pro

Hey...Stupid question guys, but...

If I have my playlist created with songs from 4 different Albums, and I click to arrange the songs by album, it messes up the order of the songs in that album. Anyway that I can avoid or correct this?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:26 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Nice work, Tom. A question, though - I noticed that Here, There, and Everywhere doesn't show up on your on-screen track listing. Did you intentionally leave it out? I ask because I had a similar thing happen when I tried putting 10 Moody Blues CDs on a single MP3 disc. Of the 115 tracks that ended up on the disc, only 102 actually show up when I put the disc into the Corvette's CD player. The other 13 tracks simply do not show up although they're clearly there when I load the disc into my computer.

BTW, I went back to Wisconsin for Christmas and stopped in at Holz after enjoying a pizza next door at Ann's Italian Restaurant.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:35 AM
JAB210
Pro

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Nice work, Tom. A question, though - I noticed that Here, There, and Everywhere doesn't show up on your on-screen track listing. Did you intentionally leave it out? I ask because I had a similar thing happen when I tried putting 10 Moody Blues CDs on a single MP3 disc. Of the 115 tracks that ended up on the disc, only 102 actually show up when I put the disc into the Corvette's CD player. The other 13 tracks simply do not show up although they're clearly there when I load the disc into my computer.
The same thing happens to me -- all the songs are played and displayed on another CD player that plays MP3 CDs, but my vette doesn't aknowledge their existence.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:40 AM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mpuzach

BTW, I went back to Wisconsin for Christmas and stopped in at Holz after enjoying a pizza next door at Ann's Italian Restaurant.
Hey Mike - nice catch - guess I DON'T have it all worked out yet do I? I have the CD in the vette so I will check it out more in detail tommorrow -

I'll post back here on how many other songs might be missing and see if I can figure out why...maybe something to do with the song name (has commas?), bitrate or something else - some more experimentation in order I guess - let us know if you find out the reason.

I was in NoDak where I come from for Xmas ... I'll bet it was good to get back to CA - at least weather wise ...

Last edited by tjfontaine; 12-30-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:42 AM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JAB210
Hey...Stupid question guys, but...

If I have my playlist created with songs from 4 different Albums, and I click to arrange the songs by album, it messes up the order of the songs in that album. Anyway that I can avoid or correct this?
JAB210 - if you add in the TRACK number of the song that should do it ... ...then when you hit the ALBUM heading to do a sort it will sort first by ALBUM then by TRACK number within the album.

Last edited by tjfontaine; 12-30-2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:53 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Another question for you Tom (or anyone else for that matter): Have you found a way to eliminate the gap between tracks during playback? It's no big deal except on CDs that are recorded with no gaps between tracks (e.g. Abbey Road). Have you had a chance to listen to Sun King through Golden Slumbers yet? I'm betting that the MP3 version has gaps not present in the original.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:03 AM
JAB210
Pro

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
JAB210 - if you add in the TRACK number of the song that should do it ... ...then when you hit the ALBUM heading to do a sort it will sort first by ALBUM then by TRACK number within the album.

Tried...and still no luck. I'm using songs from various albums, however I changed the Info. on all the songs to be the same album - "1". It still will not work with #, 0#, 00#. I'm lost .
Old 12-30-2005, 04:31 AM
Braced
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
I thought I would start a thread for those of us who have been playing with burning MP3 CDs for the NAV system with the new firmware upgrade.

After some help here - and from the net, I think I have it nailed. I can get FOLDERS with NAMES and spaces with complete song names and artist information -it is VERY SWEET.

Here are some results - first of all, this first shot is of the FOLDERS VIEW for 8 beatles albums I put on one MP3 CD - note the spaces in the name for the album "let it be" - also note although you can't see it in this shot there is a scrolldown bar on the LH side of the screen to see all 8 FOLDERS (ALBUM NAMES)

This second shot is of the actual song names within the folder for REVOLVER - note what works and doesn't ....also note the little FOLDERS icon on the RIGHT HAND side - pressing that will bring the menu back to the first screen I have above.

Ok - here is how I did it - I used the latest version 6 of iTunes which I downloaded ... I used this alone for EVERYTHING ...

A couple of hints - when I burned one CD it came out without the folders -but the other one HAD the folders - the difference seemed to be when I SORTED by folder name (top of screen -see below) - THEN, iTUNES would create the FOLDERS using the ALBUM NAME!!

Here is an example of the song detail

Note that when the CD first starts playing it will start with this song detail - to see the folders you need to press the TRACK SELECT button

Also - one final thing I did before burning the CD - I selected ALL the songs in the project, then RIGHT CLICK, then CONVERT ID tags and selected Version 2.3

This is what worked for me! Also worked for IMATION disks and cheapo HI-VALs I had around the house!
I tried using your method and it works good. I would like to know though, when playing the White Album (or any album), does it play in the original order it was recorded in like on the cd? If so then what program are you using to rip your cd to MP3? I got your method to work and all the labels show up, but the songs don't play in the original order. With my method using Music Match Jukebox, I go into edit and tell it to prioritize the track number first then song title, then artist. When I burn it to cd, it plays in the original order but the info on my screen is not complete. It seems that is the choice. It won't do both. If your MP3 cd's are playing in the original order and all the info shows up in the correct place on the C6 nav/cd screen, I'd love to know how you did it! Please let me know. I have been going through lots of cd's experimenting with this trying to get it to play in original order and list all the info on the screen too.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a new one. I just burned a disc using the method I not only have songs that don't show I have folder that don't show in the folders list. So there's no way to pay the songs in these folders.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:12 AM
JR_C6
Instructor

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
Aw man!!!!!!!! Now that is sweet. I am about to get started right now. You have 8 different folders for each of 8 different Beatles albums.

The thing I have to do is convert about 75 of the songs in my iTunes library to MP3. Some of them evidently are not and I cannot burn these to disc.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?
On the Mac version of iTunes, you just select the songs, right click and "Convert to MP3". Many of the songs I download are not in the correct format and this fixes it every time.

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Burning MP3s for the NAV - tricks and tips

Old 12-30-2005, 09:18 AM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by JR_C6
On the Mac version of iTunes, you just select the songs, right click and "Convert to MP3". Many of the songs I download are not in the correct format and this fixes it every time.

Jeff

I have tried to convert songs to MP3 using Itunes. These are songs for which I own the cd album, but they will not convert from the AAC format to mp3 with the command you mention above. They claim to be protected. Again, though, I have the original CD so I can rip them again. Did I do this with some setting when I ripped them originally? Can I re-rip them to get them in some format that will convert to MP3?

Jim
Old 12-30-2005, 10:13 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by anothercrisis
I have tried to convert songs to MP3 using Itunes. These are songs for which I own the cd album, but they will not convert from the AAC format to mp3 with the command you mention above. They claim to be protected. Again, though, I have the original CD so I can rip them again. Did I do this with some setting when I ripped them originally? Can I re-rip them to get them in some format that will convert to MP3?

Jim

Old 12-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by anothercrisis
Can I re-rip them to get them in some format that will convert to MP3?

Jim
Just use a program that rips them in MP3 to start with. There are many out there and a lot are free.

With iTune go to Edit, Preferences, Advanced, Import, Import Using, MP3 Encode

Last edited by Corvette Junkie; 12-30-2005 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Burning MP3s for the NAV - tricks and tips