C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning MP3s for the NAV - tricks and tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:26 AM
rmreid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by anothercrisis
I have tried to convert songs to MP3 using Itunes. These are songs for which I own the cd album, but they will not convert from the AAC format to mp3 with the command you mention above. They claim to be protected. Again, though, I have the original CD so I can rip them again. Did I do this with some setting when I ripped them originally? Can I re-rip them to get them in some format that will convert to MP3?

Jim
I'm having the same issue with the songs I purchased off of iTunes and getting the same message
Old 12-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Violet
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmreid
I'm having the same issue with the songs I purchased off of iTunes and getting the same message
Songs you PURCHASED off iTunes are "Protected .aac files". In other words, they're encrypted to prevent you from converting them to .mp3 and sharing them on file sharing networks.

Basically, without circumventing the copy protection, you CANNOT convert them directly to .mp3.

You either have to:

1) Burn them to CD as audio files, then re-rip to .mp3
2) Use "pirate" software to circumvent the copy protection. Which, by the way, is a violation of the DMCA and consequently something I'll bet is prohibited from being discussed here on CF.com.

The "convert to mp3" function in iTunes is for NON-copyprotected file formats to be turned into .mp3.

Hope that helps. Vi
Old 12-30-2005, 01:13 PM
rmreid
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Violet
Songs you PURCHASED off iTunes are "Protected .aac files". In other words, they're encrypted to prevent you from converting them to .mp3 and sharing them on file sharing networks.

Basically, without circumventing the copy protection, you CANNOT convert them directly to .mp3.

You either have to:

1) Burn them to CD as audio files, then re-rip to .mp3
2) Use "pirate" software to circumvent the copy protection. Which, by the way, is a violation of the DMCA and consequently something I'll bet is prohibited from being discussed here on CF.com.

The "convert to mp3" function in iTunes is for NON-copyprotected file formats to be turned into .mp3.

Hope that helps. Vi
Thanks
I guess I am SOL then
Old 12-30-2005, 06:34 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Note that I edited my original post to address some problems I and others were having with disappearing files.

I made sure all the song names were 22 characters or less ...

I changed the ID3 tags to VERSION 1.0 instead of V2.3

Noted that some iTunes protected songs downloaded won't convert to MP3 hence those won't appear on the NAV as they are still in AAC format so watch for those.

I re-burned my BEATLES MP3 CD with these things in mind and it is PERFECT now - EVERYTHING is working just as desired.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:29 PM
wlee013
Pro

I am not able to get the album and artist to show on screen. The album shows disc 1 and the ablum is blank. The song shows properly. I am able to get folders to work. I have done as indicated on previous posts by converting to MP3 and using tags. I have tried versions 2.3 and 2.4 in Ituns 5. These songs have been ripped from CDs.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Old 12-30-2005, 07:53 PM
VetteMark
Burning Brakes

Default iTunes ??

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
Note that I edited my original post to address some problems I and others were having with disappearing files.

Noted that some iTunes protected songs downloaded won't convert to MP3 hence those won't appear on the NAV as they are still in AAC format so watch for those.

I re-burned my BEATLES MP3 CD with these things in mind and it is PERFECT now - EVERYTHING is working just as desired.

First off . . . Great Post!!

Most of this thread deals with iTunes, but I have some questions . . . Is the iTunes software free to anyone? and does any of this hold true for Windows Media Player?

BTW . . . How much snow did you get? Got 6" here!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:59 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Mark - you just got the new vette, right? about 6" here as well (Woodbury).

For WLee - download iTUNES 6.01 - you mentioned you are using iTUNES 5 - that is the only diff I can see ... for all, iTunes is FREE SOFTWARE from apple ... watch some of the extra goodies it loads (like the iPOD conduit even if you don't HAVE an iPOD). But this software seems to work the best among the ones I have been toying with.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:20 PM
VetteMark
Burning Brakes

For WLee - download iTUNES 6.01 - you mentioned you are using iTUNES 5 - that is the only diff I can see ... for all, iTunes is FREE SOFTWARE from apple ... watch some of the extra goodies it loads (like the iPOD conduit even if you don't HAVE an iPOD). But this software seems to work the best among the ones I have been toying with.
Thanks Tom, I'll start playing around also!!

Dec 20th as you noticed and darn frustrated too!! Can't wait for warm weather! But . . . get to go snowmobiling tomorrow. Maybe that will help!!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:49 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

BINGO!

That did it, Tom! Thanks a zillion!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:08 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My experience related to "Track List" page (not MP3 tag info):

Using MusicMatch and Nero
Only 8 characters appear regardless if having 1 or multiple folders

Using iTunes
Song titles appear correctly
Songs that are longer than 22 characters don't show up on list and don't play (as reported by others)

Anyone use MusicMatch or Nero to successfully create a CD that shows the "Track List" correctly? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:30 PM
C64DK
Instructor

Thanks for the great info!!!

DK
Old 12-30-2005, 10:43 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

As you know, I have been on a mission to get all my MP3 artists showing. I tried everything you said, and I finally have all artist and album information showing

It did not create folders for me though. Not sure why - I did sort them by album as you suggested.

A big thanks to you though. I think changing the ID3 tag to 1.0 may have been the biggest difference .

Old 12-31-2005, 12:03 AM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Jim,

I am assuming you are using the latest iTUNES ...

Right before you burn - go to the ALBUM heading like I have circled at the very start of this thread - click it once - click it again ... it will SORT UP and SORT DOWN --- get it to the way you want THEN go right to the BURN ... All of the MP3 disks I am making now using this technique are coming through dead on perfect with folders and all file names and artists etc.

We are close - hang in there ...
Old 12-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Crystal Vette
Pro

Thanks for the good post.

Here is the site for some tips using iTunes.
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/windows/hottips/
Old 12-31-2005, 02:20 AM
wlee013
Pro

Thanks downloaded Itunes 6 and used mp3 tags version 1 and everything works!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:17 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Jim,

I am assuming you are using the latest iTUNES ...

Right before you burn - go to the ALBUM heading like I have circled at the very start of this thread - click it once - click it again ... it will SORT UP and SORT DOWN --- get it to the way you want THEN go right to the BURN ... All of the MP3 disks I am making now using this technique are coming through dead on perfect with folders and all file names and artists etc.

We are close - hang in there ...
Yes, I did all of that. I believe it could also have to do with how you have folders set up in your computer - but I'm not sure. Also, there is a setting in the "advanced" settings that you can check (in iTunes) that has something to do with organizing folders. I'm not sure if it needs to be checked or not. I'll try again probably later today.

Thanks - I agree that I'll get there, and I appreciate all the help. I'm already further ahead than I was on my own
Old 12-31-2005, 11:06 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Yes, I did all of that. I believe it could also have to do with how you have folders set up in your computer - but I'm not sure. Also, there is a setting in the "advanced" settings that you can check (in iTunes) that has something to do with organizing folders. I'm not sure if it needs to be checked or not. I'll try again probably later today.

Thanks - I agree that I'll get there, and I appreciate all the help. I'm already further ahead than I was on my own
When I use MusicMatch to burn MP3 CDs for my Bose 6CD player, a "Playlist" burned to a MP3 CD = a folder on the Bose. I make each artist's album into a "Playlist". Then when I burn an MP3 CD, I transfer several "Playlists" (albums) to the Burner...the playlists show up on the Bose as folders. All the tracks in an album play sequentially, but they do not necessarily burn in the same sequence as on the original album. That, however, is not important to me...I like that the sequence is changed.

If you are using another software, you should also be able to make "Playlists" (folders). I apologize in advance if I have misunderstood the problem you're having.

Get notified of new replies

To Burning MP3s for the NAV - tricks and tips

Old 12-31-2005, 12:13 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jschindler

Jim,

Check this ...

In iTunes, go to EDIT - Preferences, ADVANCED then pick the GENERAL TAB - See if the box for "Keep iTunes FOLDER ORGANIZED"
is checked - mine is - that might make a difference.

Tom
Old 12-31-2005, 03:26 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Jim,

Check this ...

In iTunes, go to EDIT - Preferences, ADVANCED then pick the GENERAL TAB - See if the box for "Keep iTunes FOLDER ORGANIZED"

Tom
Yeah, that's what I was referrring to earlier. It was checked. I'll keep playing with it. I actually did have version create folders last week. I think it had to do with how I had the songs saved to folders on my hard drive. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for keeping the ideas coming!
Old 12-31-2005, 04:06 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Jim,

Check this ...

Tom
FWIW, after reading your post I checked the same setting on my iTunes and found the box to be unchecked. Even so, I'm now getting perfect results (including folders).

One thing, though - I haven't yet tried making a compilation MP3 disc with a few tracks from this album and another few from that one; all I've done is put 12 entire CDs on one disc. Had I followed the same procedures to make a hodge-podge I don't know if there would have been separate folders created for each album that I included tracks from.

Quick Reply: Burning MP3s for the NAV - tricks and tips