C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its C6 No Longer "Exclusive" Because its Engine is Everywhere Now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 09:21 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Hmmmm, the Corvette came out in 1953 with a "Blue Flame" six. The car was a marketing disaster - GM wanted to kill it because sales were so bad. But somebody (Zora Duntov) decided to put a "small block" V8 that was developed for the Chevy sedans in it - and guess what? The rest is history!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:22 AM
jcgordon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other "V" Caddies have a 4.4L Northstar V8 SC with 469 hp. This is a smaller and lighter engine that is supercharged. I prefer the non-supercharged engine anyday.

:
Originally Posted by LS1LT1
It's still exclusive because it's a total package and depending on where you live you just don't see that many C6s.
The engine sharing allows me to buy what is really a $75k performance sports car for only $50k so I'll accept that.
And the LS2 as installed in the Cadillac (CTS-V, also heavier) is rated as the same (400hp) not higher...the STS-V and XLR-V are rated higher but those aren't LS2 motors and are of course mounted in much heavier cars.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:57 AM
pDz
Racer

Originally Posted by jcgordon

The other "V" Caddies have a 4.4L Northstar V8 SC with 469 hp. This is a smaller and lighter engine that is supercharged. I prefer the non-supercharged engine anyday.

:
the "smaller" 4.4L DOHC v8 is not necessarily lighter and it surely does not have a smaller footprint in the engine bay. add on the blower and it's definitely much heavier.

but yeah, i much prefer the CTS-V approach to the STS-V/XLR_V approach. but i understand the demographic that they are targeting uses the AMG MB cars as the benchmark.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:31 AM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Well, haven't posted here in awhile, but thought I'd chime in on this one. After coming very close to buying my first ever Corvette this year, I ended up getting a 05 GTO instead. While I like the GTO, and I did save myself $20,000 over a C6, everytime I see a silver C6 (color I wanted and got with my GTO), I still drool!!

The Corvette is a unique car, easily recognizable by the general public, and is "exclusive" in the fact that it is uniquely American, has a long distinguished tradition, and is a world class sports car without the ridiculous Porche/Ferrari price tag!

Exclusivity is a funny thing, so many want it, yet no one really gets that with any mass produced car. My 05 GTO is more "exclusive" than any 05 C6, with just under 14,000 being produced (and no one I know has any clue what a GTO is or even cares). Heck, my 01 Camaro SS was more exclusive with only just over 10,000 produced (and yet, 99% of the people I know thought I drove a Trans Am). The SSR is extremely exclusive, mainly because no one wants them! Doesn't mean anything, and none of these cars in any way takes anything away from what the Corvette is (even with the same engine).

No one should worry about the LS2 being put into other production cars, a Corvette will always be unique within itself (and hopefully, I'll get to enjoy owning one some day)!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:33 AM
dstelbrink
Instructor

The advantage to us is that the cost of developement can be spread over more than one car. If the price on our Corvette is $1000 less because a Cadillac has the same engine that's great!
Old 12-29-2005, 02:13 PM
conecrusher
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What makes it better?
Aluminum Block and Heads equal lighter weight, and also no need for a cylinder shut-off system in cruise to avoid the gas guzzler tax.
And, of course, 400 HP out of 400 cubes.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:16 AM
FunVette
Advanced

Well anyway the Cadillac division paid for most of C6s development costs anyway because it needed the platform to be changed to fit there needs.

Quick Reply: Its C6 No Longer "Exclusive" Because its Engine is Everywhere Now?