C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure gauge recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:41 PM
lcattman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure gauge recommendations?

What are the most accurate pressure gauges that are available at most auto part stores? Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:08 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I've got 4 from Radio Shack, purchased five years ago. Very accurate digital gauge, cost less than $20. Not sure if they are still avialable.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:01 AM
SCModerator
Racer

If you have a compressor and want a really accurate gauge - try this one:

A great gauge from Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com). Super easy to use and you can fill a lot of tires really fast really accurate and dump overpressure with the same trigger.

Gregg.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:08 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Longacre
Old 12-23-2005, 03:54 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lcattman
What are the most accurate pressure gauges that are available at most auto part stores? Thanks for the advice.

I'm not kidding. These are just as (if not more) accurate than the fancy expensive ones.

Here's the only test I could find, note which came out ahead (and the price). This was a government test, not someone who is pushing a particular brand or theory:

Link
Old 12-23-2005, 05:47 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

I've been using the Accutire Digital Gauge for over 2 years. Extremely accurate and measures in half-pound increments. Amazon has it for about $20.

Link here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...otive&v=glance

Frank
Old 12-23-2005, 06:23 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
I've been using the Accutire Digital Gauge for over 2 years. Extremely accurate and measures in half-pound increments. Amazon has it for about $20.

Frank
Same here.

I also have a liquid filled mechanical that workd great in 1/8pd incriments that I bought a sprint car race 10 years ago.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Another Yellow

Frank
Mine's been working fine for years; love it.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:33 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You already have a reasonably accurate tire pressure gauge built into the TPS on each wheel. Extremely easy to use from the comfort of your drivers seat. All you have to do is push a button and read the tire pressure in your DIC.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:49 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
You already have a reasonably accurate tire pressure gauge built into the TPS on each wheel. Extremely easy to use from the comfort of your drivers seat. All you have to do is push a button and read the tire pressure in your DIC.

Wow!! would that be fun when your on your knees putting air into a tire

What you said above is true. I think that question was asked so you could fill your tires when necessary+ a good gauge is required to check the accuracy of the DIC.
FWIW my DIC reads a 1# low compaired to 3 gages I checked it against. Not a problem but its nice to know.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Most people's DICs run a little low. The TPMS sensors read absolute pressure, most gages read relative pressure. So they should agree at sea level, but the TPMS sensors will read about one PSI low per 1850 feet above sea level. Local conditions may make a little difference too. This is usually not a problem, but there is at least one Forum member who lives in Colorado Springs at 6600 feet, or about 3 PSI difference.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:17 PM
EHS
Race Director

Originally Posted by Buffy
Most people's DICs run a little low. The TPMS sensors read absolute pressure, most gages read relative pressure. So they should agree at sea level, but the TPMS sensors will read about one PSI low per 1850 feet above sea level. Local conditions may make a little difference too. This is usually not a problem, but there is at least one Forum member who lives in Colorado Springs at 6600 feet, or about 3 PSI difference.
Sorry, they compensate for altitude changes:

http://www.machinedesign.com/ASP/str...tedArticle.asp

www.schraderelectronics.com

"....Schrader Electronics is ready with its remote tire-pressure monitoring system. It consists of four tire-valve mounted sensors and transmitters, four detectors, and an onboard receiver. The sensors measure tire pressure, send that data to the nearest detector, which transfers the information on to the receiver and instrument cluster for processing and display.....The receiver compensates for barometric pressure and altitude changes,..."
Old 12-23-2005, 12:49 PM
PaBlueCoupe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09

Originally Posted by lcattman

I have had the same question for awhile. Thanks for the post and the responses. Merry Christmas and pass the egg nog!!
Old 12-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Originally Posted by EHS
Sorry, they compensate for altitude changes:

http://www.machinedesign.com/ASP/str...tedArticle.asp

www.schraderelectronics.com

"....Schrader Electronics is ready with its remote tire-pressure monitoring system. It consists of four tire-valve mounted sensors and transmitters, four detectors, and an onboard receiver. The sensors measure tire pressure, send that data to the nearest detector, which transfers the information on to the receiver and instrument cluster for processing and display.....The receiver compensates for barometric pressure and altitude changes,..."
Well, they say they do, but observation seems to contradict this. Of course casual observations can be wrong too, so who knows?

Actually, Schrader makes a number of these systems, and each one seems to be a bit different. As best I can tell, the one in the C6 is a "build in" system - it doesn't use the Schrader receiver, that's combined with the door lock system. Don't know who wrote the code for that sucker yet.

In any case, it's not the one in the article - note that also says "An auto-rotation feature reconfigures the system whenever a tire changes position, such as after rotation or when new tires are mounted. This means the detector locates it assigned transmitter and continued to monitor pressure without manual reprogramming." And we know the C6 doesn't do that!

Of course, the supposedly C6-specific info I have says ".. The system also compensates for changes in barometric pressure using the PCM's barometric sensor via the serial data circuit." But it doesn't seem to.

I once saw my wife holding a programming manual up to the computer and saying "See - right there - it says that's how it works!". Maybe I should try that on my car

Last edited by Buffy; 12-23-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:09 PM
EHS
Race Director

Originally Posted by Buffy
...Of course, the supposedly C6-specific info I have says ".. The system also compensates for changes in barometric pressure using the PCM's barometric sensor via the serial data circuit." But it doesn't seem to.
Same with the C5 and the airplane I fly.

Which is how I know what altitude I'm at. Barometric pressure.

Now I hope my altimeter works better than the Schrader sensor.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Len16
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the Radio Shack tire pressure gauge for about 5 years.

Great, durable, accurate product for about $20.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire pressure gauge recommendations?

Quick Reply: Tire pressure gauge recommendations?