C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone figured out how to turn off the DRLs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:55 PM
NEVERL8
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Anyone figured out how to turn off the DRLs?

In the US DRLs are not required. Personally I prefer to be in control of my headlights and decide when I want them on during the daytime.

Has anyone figured out how to shut them off? There is an awesome website that I came across with instructions for all different types of cars but the C6 was not there.

Thanks
Soon to be C6er...
Old 12-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Don't think anyone has found a practical way to shut them off permanently. You can shut them off each time after you start the engine by twisting the light stalk to off and release back to AUTO. But you will have to do it every time you start the engine.

Don't forget that they're also the turn signals.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I leave my on the auto setting. No headlights, only the amber running lights, which I think look cool.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:34 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe
Don't think anyone has found a practical way to shut them off permanently. You can shut them off each time after you start the engine by twisting the light stalk to off and release back to AUTO. But you will have to do it every time you start the engine.

Don't forget that they're also the turn signals.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Stangar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Low12s
I leave my on the auto setting. No headlights, only the amber running lights, which I think look cool.
In the olden days (10 years ago), those amber "running lights" were only used when a car was actually parked in a precarious place and only for a few minutes. Now, everyone is driving around with them on and it looks like they forgot to turn them off after parking. Well, that is the way I see it. Your mileage may vary.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:59 PM
donsar
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Why?? Daytime running lights have been verified as a true safety factor and clearly make the car more visible in daylight to oncoming cars. In fact many insurance companies (USAA for example) give a discount if your car has them. Would you rather look cool or end up in a crash?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:00 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't like them on either. I don't think the car looks right with them on - they should be down lower where the fog lights are. But nobody seems to have a fix. They are controlled by the BCM. And you can't pull the bulb or wiring because they are the turn signals. That leaves turning them off everytime you get in the car.

BTW, as a note - if you turn just the fog lights on, the DRL's actually dim, and look okay.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Why, you can't see them when they're on?

Originally Posted by NEVERL8
In the US DRLs are not required. Personally I prefer to be in control of my headlights and decide when I want them on during the daytime.

Has anyone figured out how to shut them off? There is an awesome website that I came across with instructions for all different types of cars but the C6 was not there.

Thanks
Soon to be C6er...
Old 12-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Nel727
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by donsar
Why?? Daytime running lights have been verified as a true safety factor and clearly make the car more visible in daylight to oncoming cars. In fact many insurance companies (USAA for example) give a discount if your car has them. Would you rather look cool or end up in a crash?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:04 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by donsar
If Chevy had used the headlights at part brightness, as they do with other cars, it wouldn't be so bad. But because the Corvette has HID headlights, they couldn't dim them (HIDs die really fast if you try to dim them), and the HIDs are really expensive to replace anyway. What they did instead was use the turn signals. Now turn signal bulbs aren't designed to be on all the time. They're just intended to flash once in a while. The result, the damn things burn out several times a year, and they're a pain to replace. A better solution would have been to use the fog lights. Unlike turn signals, they're designed to burn continuously, so they should last a couple of years before you need to replace them.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 AM
rmitchell242
Melting Slicks

yeah the drl's look ghey i turn them off all the time

sometimes i forget but when i get behind another car and see the reflection i immediately hit them off
Old 12-12-2005, 01:51 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

I think they look good and like the safety factor...but am not excited about having to replace bulbs regularly.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:19 AM
superdee
Instructor

Originally Posted by jschindler
I don't like them on either. I don't think the car looks right with them on - they should be down lower where the fog lights are. But nobody seems to have a fix. They are controlled by the BCM. And you can't pull the bulb or wiring because they are the turn signals. That leaves turning them off everytime you get in the car.

BTW, as a note - if you turn just the fog lights on, the DRL's actually dim, and look okay.
The DRLs are set so high on the front of the car that it raises the entire front profile of the car. I wish they kept them down by the fog lights like on the C5.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:40 AM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It takes 300,000 gallons of gas a day to power 100 million DRL's for an hour a day...
Old 12-12-2005, 06:56 AM
SC TROJAN GRAD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmitchell242

sometimes i forget but when i get behind another car and see the reflection i immediately hit them off
Old 12-12-2005, 08:44 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The DRLs on the C5s also use the turn signals. You can remove the #2 fuse from the fuse block to disengage them, but, you also loose the reverse backup lights for the "approach lights on" option on the DIC. Don't know if it works the same on the C6. Never had a problem with the DRLs burning up the turn signal bulbs in the C5 though.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by vetdude
The DRLs on the C5s also use the turn signals. You can remove the #2 fuse from the fuse block to disengage them, but, you also loose the reverse backup lights for the "approach lights on" option on the DIC. Don't know if it works the same on the C6. Never had a problem with the DRLs burning up the turn signal bulbs in the C5 though.
How many prior C5 owners do you think bought C6s? How many of those C6 owners would like to turn off the DRLs? You think maybe it's possible that some of them have tried the fuse? Not all C6 owners are first-time Vette owners who know nothing about such things.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone figured out how to turn off the DRLs?

Old 12-12-2005, 09:50 AM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

i agree

Originally Posted by Low12s
Old 12-12-2005, 10:36 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rmitchell242

Old 12-12-2005, 10:49 AM
jim213
Safety Car

[QUOTE=C6Monty]I think they look good and like the safety factor...

Quick Reply: Anyone figured out how to turn off the DRLs?